Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-23-2005, 05:46 PM   #11
gas_pig
Founding Member

Default Re: 2006 Harleys & Buells

Ummm... the V-Strom is uglier?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2005, 05:59 PM   #12
Dixit
Registered Member

I read a couple of days ago in Cycle World, I believe, that the Buell XB12X was seriously handicapped in the dirt by its lack of steering radius. Apparently because of that they picked the BMW as the better choice in the dirt. Also, the power of their test bike also seemed significantly lower than the Buells you guys tested previously. You seem to confirm this in your test. Would it be a result of the new air intake?
Dixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:03 PM   #13
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Is the Buell in one of the pics on the MO homepage doing a burnout or blowing its engine?

Seriously though, I like the looks of the Buell bikes a lot and wish them all the luck in the world.
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 06:19 PM   #14
Agent0090
Founding Member

Did I read right that the XB12X got 64 mpg during the test? If so, wow. They could sell it on that alone.
Agent0090 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:26 PM   #15
smithrob75
Founding Member

Probably not, but it's always been that way. I guess you could say it's a bargain compared to the 11 second Sreamin' Eagle V-Rod.

I actually would like to see a Sreamin' Eagle Street Rod w/ the 1300cc 165 horse motor.

For the money I'm sure you could get a busa in the 8's though.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:38 PM   #16
desertbilly
Founding Member

And the Ulysses comes with that great bash muffler underneath!!!

I'm sorry, but the Ulysses reminds me of an ad in the back of Consumer Reports many years ago for a bathing suit that had a fine print warning not to get it wet.

I've got no doubt that it's a bunch of fun. As I suspected, it looks like a hooligan multi-strada, with lots of muscle and intensity. But it's never going to be any kind of adventure bike, sports or otherwise, with that belly muffler and, what, maybe 5 inches of ground clearance? From here, it looks like any other Buell except with a normal sized frame and seat, for once. And what does a new muffler cost the first time something smacks it?

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe they'll sell boatloads of these (to other than dealers and employees). Maybe.
desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:26 PM   #17
bk6a
Founding Member

yes, it is, the guy i talked to in NM said that each dealer would start with just one, and implied that they would be jacking the price, so i didn't even look at it. I was ready to buy a Roadking before i started dealing with the dealers in el paso, texas and NM. Now it's go triumph!
bk6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:27 PM   #18
bk6a
Founding Member

oops, see the reply to the fellow above, i buggered it up.
bk6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:04 PM   #19
sarnali
Founding Member

Looks like some decent equipment from HD/Buell. IMO the anniversery Superglide doesn't look right without the boattail and two into one pipe. The Streetbob should have a Pea-Pad at least, single seat bikes don't make it for me. The Ulysses is cool as a Multi Strada, but the rim mounted disc, low pipe and belt drive pretty well keep it out of the BMW/Tiger/ VStrom league. The V Rod is "different" I'm sure they'll sell a truck load of each.

Not to me though I just bought a new Thruxton. After 25 years of four cylinder bikes I'm back on an air cooled twin, loving every minute! Still kept my Trophy for a 4 cyl. rush though...
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:45 AM   #20
maladg
Registered Member

Can't wait to try the XB12X on for size. Size is what's kept me from the new gen Buells until now.

However I'm - er - somewhat less than impressed with the local Buell "dealer".
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote