Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-25-2005, 06:54 PM   #91
oleland
Registered Member

Default Re: 2006 Harleys & Buells

I am very interested in the Ulysses and plan on test riding one in the next week during the Buel demo days. Most other brand dealers do not allow test rides and you buy the bike based on the magazine reviews,I purchased my Multistrada without a test ride.As far as Harley dealers that act like they do not want to sell a bike I have been to BMW dealers and other brand dealers that act the same way.

I have purchased 4 new Harleys in the last 6 yrs and have been able to purchase each one far below MSRP by simply getting on the phone and shopping around to find the dealer that is really ready to sell a bike. This method has always worked for me.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-25-2005, 06:57 PM   #92
johnnyquest
Registered Member

I've been interested in Buells ever since I started riding last year. I decided I needed some more experience before considering owning one, so I got an old BMW K75s. Now I'm hooked on bikes with hard bags, something the cityX doesn't have.....but now the Ulysses does. I'm sure if I bought one, I'd be one of many owners who would rarely if ever take the bike off road. I'd commute on it and tour with it, I wouldn't buy it for it's off-road ability. Actually, if the lightning long came with lower footpegs and took the same hardbags, I'd buy one of those.....

JQ
Old 08-25-2005, 07:00 PM   #93
johnnyquest
Registered Member

That's funny, here in Tucson you can test ride almost any BMW they have but if you go down to the Harley/Buell dealer they don't offer demo or test rides on the Buells anymore....too many crashes one person told me. Personally, I don't know if I'd feel comfortable paying $12k for a bike I've never tried out.....

JQ
Old 08-25-2005, 07:37 PM   #94
nesbit
Founding Member

How is your neck after a 1/2 hour?
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:45 PM   #95
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Sucker!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:57 PM   #96
nesbit
Founding Member

Do not confuse the product with the salesman, or dealership. I'm on the Island too, but it's really no different than anywhere else. They'll maintain that demand justifies the list or above price - the result of having been schooled in HD 101 sales. No surprises here - that's what inexperienced salesman do. But remember, you control the cash flow. If you're really ready to buy, just pull out your cash or check book and tell them what you think is a reasonable price. No sale? Fine, walk out and continue to shop until you succeed. You will. I did! If you love the bike, you'll quickly forget what the salesman looked like or what silliness came out of his mouth. In fact, in a world of products where customers now tend to know more than the salesman, most salesman are easily forgotten. One last thought. You can pick your saleman, as well. I'll spend a bit of "no thanx - just looking" time at the dealership remotely monitoring and observing the sales crew, and then pick the one who appears most knowledgeable and least offensive. Good luck!
nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:32 AM   #97
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

In that one shot of the orange VRod hanging a right what's that thing in front of the rear wheel?

Looks like an old T-33 speed brake. Maybe that's the secret to good brakes?
Old 08-26-2005, 11:34 AM   #98
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default The tale of brave Ulysses

...how his naked ears were tortured by the road-berms softly singing...
Old 08-26-2005, 07:29 PM   #99
Vlad
Registered Member

Though my inseam is shorter than yours, I have to admit that I think Sean is a little harsh on the seat-footpeg relationship for the xb12ss. It crunches my short legs less than my current bike, a BMW R1150RS (admittedly on the low saddle height setting). If it's a big issue, though I don't think it would be cheap to do, you can probably put the Ulysses footpegs on the "long" for less than you'd have to pay for some of the other adventure tourers (the DL1000 being the most notable exception).

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:15 AM   #100
fatslow
Founding Member

I took the new XB12X for a test ride Saturday.

Then I took it home 2 hours later!!!!! This thing is awsome. Handling is superb, the power more than enough, and the dam thing is super cofortable. Waiting on my bags, and taller screen. It is like riding in an suv or truck in traffic - nice to be able to see over the cars.

Not enough miles to find any faults but so far nothing! (I probably won't look too hard though).
fatslow is offline   Reply With Quote