Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-17-2005, 07:24 PM   #1
chanman_01
Registered Member

Default Re: Kymco Venox Review: The Perfect First Bike?

Whoot! First post...

28 horses and 80mph...this 250cc bike would seriously challenge the bigger and popular Honda VLX 600 (583cc w/34 horses) for the first bike crown and it's $2K lower cost!
chanman_01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-17-2005, 08:44 PM   #2
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

I saw one of these up close at a local shop. It's a nice looking bike and it's good to hear the 250 has some grunt to it.

Problem is that for a woman that is 5'4" and 110lbs, it's a bit wide and a bit heavy to start with if the individual has no previous experience. The Virago is still slimmer and lighter which allowed her to be able to build confidence more quickly.

She still had problems picking up the virago when she dropped it and there is no way she would have been able to lift another hundred and something pounds.

Will she grow out of the virago quicker than the Venox? From the sound of it, most likely. But I think if we would have gone with the Venox there would have been a longer learning curve as here confidence would have been shakier in the beginning.

BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Do they start Air Force pilots out on ultralights?

No. And a properly trained rider, even a smaller woman, should be taught how to handle and pick up a 400 pound machine. I've seen smaller women right much larger bikes, so it can be done, if the method is learned.

Nobody should be purchasing and riding any motorcycle, scooter or moped with "no previous experience."

Just my opinion!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:49 PM   #4
Hutchinator
Founding Member

I think I'll look at the Blast instead.

Nice review either way!
Old 08-17-2005, 09:53 PM   #5
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Re: Do they start Air Force pilots out on ultralights?

Nah, they just start 'em out on Cessna 172 and the like (unless you already have previous pilot experience, and at least a Private Pilot license).

Might as well be training wheels, these things are easy to fly.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:05 PM   #6
yo-me-mo
Founding Member

I started on a 500cc inline 4. I think bikes like the one in this review are for the overly timid who are not sure if they really want to do this thing. If you are sure you are going to be a biker bypass this step and look at 500 to 650 cc bikes. These smaller bikes will be outgrown in about 3 months.

Go larger and just take it slower than you actually want to until you have about 4 months experience.

Your new bike will keep you happy for about 2 years.
yo-me-mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:17 PM   #7
yoavy11
Founding Member

That's it? no Buell & the 600's test?

yoavy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:38 AM   #8
WeeBee
Registered Member

Impressive, but I would go with EX250. A MOTORCYCLIST wouldn't "outgrow" the little Ninja. My start was in 1980 (36 yrs. young) on a GN400-cheap and basic, FUN. Self taught. Soon realized straightaways were mostly boring, freeway ramps were IT. Also, was tired of my '69 Cuda 383S, actually commuted on the little thumper (rain, snow, icy-learned how to RIDE). Hello sport riding. Had a ball grinding rubber off the fat footpegs, then the little power/speed bugs began to bite. Flat slide carb and supertrapp made a big difference but...mid 80's: Seca 400 (WERA Novice) Seca 650. '94 FZR 1000. '05 R6 (at 61 yrs. old). Bought my significant other a Ninja 250 in'96- I loved it: felt like a racer making it sing. And now I come full circle-am putting together another GN400 from two junkers. Personally don't care for the cruiser style, but the Chinese bike doesn't look bad, just not my cuppa, but a viable deal.
WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:58 AM   #9
WeeBee
Registered Member

Makes sense if you're a cruiser type. I would go Ninja 250-serious fun (61 yrs. old, '05 R6).
WeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 02:47 AM   #10
maladg
Registered Member

Default Re: Do they start Air Force pilots out on ultralights?

BMWMOA & GA BMW Club member, gal named "Skert" (sorry, I can't remember how to spell her real name) used to put on demos of her righting a BMW LT. "Skert" is maybe 110 lbs wet and MAYBE 5'4".

I've seen her do it. Gabe is right, but the ante needs to be upped to include full sized tourers.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote