Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Kymco Venox Review: The Perfect First Bike? (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/2985-kymco-venox-review-perfect-first-bike.html)

Gabe 08-18-2005 09:43 AM

Quality Bikes...

Cost money. There's no way around it. It's well built and worth the extra money, because it's that much extra bike. A 250 Rebel next to this thing is pretty sad looking.

As for being a tough sell, call a Kymco dealer and try to get one. They've been selling them for two years and most dealers have a hard time keeping them in stock.

Gabe 08-18-2005 09:44 AM

Exactly.

And do they let you fly it without some serious classroom time first? And without an expert, lisenced instructor in it?

Idzine 08-18-2005 09:48 AM

Re: Kymco Venox Review: The Perfect First Bike?

Great review Gabe. My son is 15, and saving up for his first street bike. I can't wait to show him this review.

The Venox won't keep up with dad's VTX1800F, but I think it will turn as many heads. Forward controls, low saddle, long wheelbase,... this bike is almost badass. It's much better looking and more powerful than the quirky Japanese 250's.

Any accessories available? It needs a front air scoop and some chrome in the mid section.

Idzine-

YellowDuck 08-18-2005 09:58 AM

Hey..who let Lou Dobbs in here???

BrowningBAR 08-18-2005 10:05 AM

Re: Exactly.

Yep, you're right. I sent her right out onto the freeway on the first day. No instruction apart for "heads up"...

Idzine 08-18-2005 10:26 AM

I agree with this guy,... or was it the second guy... Crap, I'm so confused. Let me take a shot at this...

Vehicles that have wheels are subject to several frictional forces that effect velocity. The top two are:

Rolling resistance and aerodynamic friction.

Okay class, Let's focus on the effects of mass on vehicle velocity... ready?

If you add mass to any vehicle, it will effect its top speed via the increased frictional forces in two places,...the wheel bearings and the tire contact area. These effects will manifest themselves uphill, downhill and over flat earth. In outer space, "which is where a couple of these rocket scientist come from", frictional forces do not apply.

So, since Gabe tests motorcycles here on earth, his comparative analysis seems very reasonable to me.

All cruisers are about as aerodynamic as a flying brick, so I won't get into the aero effects today. That's it.... Class dismissed.

Grover 08-18-2005 10:26 AM

I agree with everything you have said and you clearly have at least as good a grasp on this topic as I do. I was just struggling with the earlier poster's assertion that inertia was somehow tied into the mix. I'm pretty sure we're in agreement that it's not.

Hutchinator 08-18-2005 10:31 AM

Re: Exactly.

"And do they let you fly it without some serious classroom time first?"

Yep, class as you go

"And without an expert, lisenced instructor in it?"

Nope. I can just see that... 'We lose more students that way' :)~

Hutchinator 08-18-2005 10:37 AM

Re: Yes that's correct 172s..

11 hours, what are you smokin!?

OTS comes first, then most AF pilots I know were sent to a civilain school full time until completed, still had to do the 35 hours, they just did them in two to three weeks, to include ground school.

The FAA still has some say in these things.

I don't like the 172s so much, easy to fly but cramped.

seruzawa 08-18-2005 10:41 AM

Re: Dunno but ain't gonna ask each one of the billion or so...

Let me know when you are done with the survey.

I hope you have a good cheap long-distance phone service.