Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-18-2005, 08:47 AM   #41
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Default Re: Kymco Venox Review: The Perfect First Bike?

Aahhhh, MXC! The absolute best in foreign dubbed shows!

Sort of surprised with how much they get away with in terms of what the contestants "say".
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2005, 08:57 AM   #42
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Hmm. Good bike, unfamiliar name (to most consumers), and their 250 is $500 to $1000 more than 250s from the big three? Regardless of the fact that it outperforms them, I think it's gonna be a tough sell.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:01 AM   #43
tbsrider2000
Founding Member

Great review... My wife and I were offered a ride on a Venox 250 while we were waiting at a local bike shop. I have to say.. If I could get over having "just a 250" and "Made in Taiwan" this bike is a really useable and nice looking bike.

We took the bike up on Loop 410, riding two up, and easily hit 70 mph.. with plenty to spare to keep up with traffice. Also proved to be a very smooth ride as well for a cruiser styled bike..

It's really a valid motorcycle that should be considered by any beginner or someone looking for a smaller bike... Hmmmm.. with gas prices, a 250 even looks MORE appealing!
La Vernia, TX
tbsrider2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:37 AM   #44
Grover
Founding Member

Wha-Wha-Whaaaat!?! I must have taken his physics class, which one did you take?

"overcome the force of wind resistance because of its inertia."??? I have no idea what you're trying to say with that, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't make any sense. At any rate, inertia and wind resistance are two completely independent variables in the equation, and when it comes to calculating terminal speed, inertia is not a part of the equation.

All other things being equal, and assuming a level grade, mass will have absolutely no effect on a vehicle's top speed. The RATE at which the top speed is reached will change, but not the magnitude of the top speed.

You are right in saying that inertia is measured in terms of mass, what you missed however is that inertia only applies when you're trying to CHANGE the velocity at which a mass is traveling.

Let's say vehicle X runs down the salt flats and attains a top speed of Y in one minute. If you then add 100 lbs in a manner that has no effect on the vehicle's aerodynamics and take the run again, the same top speed will be reached, its just going to take longer than a minute to get there.

I will note that we are ignoring the fact that the extra 100lbs might change other things, like the rolling resistance of the tires which, assuming an increase, would result in a lower top speed. But if the only difference is the vehicles mass, the top speed will be the same. Inertia has nothing to do with it, and your statement that a vehicle's inertia is somehow tied to the vehicle's top speed is incorrect.

Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:43 AM   #45
ironbutter
Founding Member

Default Dunno but ain't gonna ask each one of the billion or so...

Chinese who think that.
ironbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:46 AM   #46
ironbutter
Founding Member

Default Maybe they could buy the Indian name...

from those Brits who currently have it. Then they could sell 'em for $20,000 more!
ironbutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 10:05 AM   #47
lwatcdr
Founding Member

All things being equal "physically" a bike with more mass will be slower. It will have more friction from the tires and wheel bearings.

Now if you could lower the friction then in theory the only factor effecting the top speed is aerodynamic drag. When you say all things being equal you in a big fuzzy area. If you take two identical bikes and put an extra 200 lbs on one it will go slower.

For an airplane mass has a far bigger impact on speed since you have to generate more lift to lift for mass and lift and drag are very much related.

lwatcdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 10:30 AM   #48
Gabe
Registered Member

Default It's a 650, that's why...

And even though it's not much faster than this 250, people have a huge psychological block about engine displacement in these here United States.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 10:33 AM   #49
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Um...

Kymco is a Taiwanese company, which has slightly more progressive views towards trade and how they treat workers.

And the Buell uses Chinese components.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 10:33 AM   #50
dlin9713
Registered Member

It's important to note that Taiwan and China are not the same country. Taiwan is a long time trading partner of the U.S., and I don't think they've had any major trade issues with us. Also, Taiwan's quality and technological achievements are far superior to those of China. China, on the other hand, IS guilty of trade violations and is constantly at odds with us. And the quality of their products is still way below the level at which I'd consider buying stuff made there.
dlin9713 is offline   Reply With Quote