Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-19-2005, 08:44 AM   #111
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: Kymco Venox Review: The Perfect First Bike?

Thanks to all for pointing out the Taiwan location of this Chinese plant. Go ahead and buy one now, for it won't be long until the ROC is sucked in by the mainland. While Taiwan does have some serious migrant worker issues and foreign manufacturing plant worker abuses that need addressing, they are a step way above the mainland in terms of worker treatment and the democratic process. Peace in the Taiwan Straight will be tenuous at best in the near future. God help the island. I have nothing against he Chinese people (mainlanders) but their government is a hideous cesspool.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2005, 08:45 AM   #112
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Not that thorough a researcher...

I hope you don't charge very much! Moto Bravo, on Monroe, has been selling Kymcos for three years in Atlanta. There are four other dealers in Georgia.

And "unproven reliability": it's "unproven" to you, but not to the many, many Kymco owners who rave about the products. I suggest you do a bit of research before you make an uninformed statement like that twice!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 08:54 AM   #113
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Hi! Welcome to 2005!

Here in 2005, a liquid-cooled, DOHC V-Twin 250 actually makes a lot more power than a 70's-vintage 350 motor, unless you do some serious hopping-up to it.

"250cc is just a little underpowered for 'round town rides."

I had that thing up to 90MPH. I know LA traffic is aggressive, but jeez, how fast do you need to go?

I do admit that you have to rev it a bit more than you would a larger bike, but it's far from slow!

I like classically styled bikes too, and have been considering getting an old '70's nail to tinker with, maybe ride the CA Moto Mele on.

Thanks for reading!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:42 AM   #114
Stonedog
Founding Member

Default Re: Not that thorough a researcher...

How about three times?

Seriously Gabe, it's not like we're talking about the 9/11 Commission or something that actually matters. Like most people I pour through magazines, this site, a number of forums and other sites all in an attempt to learn as much as I can before buying my first bike. I can guarrantee you that I am not the first person (nor am I in the minority) in my position that has never heard of Kymco and specifically this full-fledged motorcycle. Isn't that one of the reasons you wrote this article?!

So, I disagree that my statement was uninformed and still stand by the fact that there is very little, if any, coverage of this bike in the mainstream US market and specifically a lack of evidence of its long term reliability. No where did I say it wasn't reliable - it may very well be but it's a $4K gamble that I for one won't be taking.

I just googled Venox 250 and found the usual first-time reviews (took you guys long enough, even you admitted this came out in '03?!) but very little that speaks to how well they hold up after thousands and thousands of miles. And if by saying this someone returns with links to glowing long-term reviews then so much the better. My feelings certainly won't be hurt.

Jon

PS - Four or five scooter dealers in Georgia? They're taking over! How did I miss them!? Oh yeah, I don't go to moto-scooter dealerships when looking for a motor-cycle. And FWIW, the one on Monroe is the only dealer anywhere near Atlanta. In the same distance I can find a very large number of real motorcycle dealerships.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:50 AM   #115
SRMark
Founding Member

Lou Dobbs? God help me.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:21 PM   #116
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Jazz musician

A jazz musician won the lottery. Someone asked him what he would do with it.

"Keep playing jazz until the money runs out."
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 02:34 PM   #117
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Um...

Careful... people might think you're a non-PC racist a-hole for using the other C word.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:24 PM   #118
SuperBill
Founding Member

I saw a Venox in a parking lot at a construction site the other day. Very cool - no obvious indication on the bike as to the displacement, but I would have guessed at least 800 cc because it looks so substantial. Excellent details as well. The rider wasn't around, so I was in the dark before Gabe's excellent review. Thanks

Speaking of small bikes, I took a ride last weekend on my neighbors Ninja 250. HOLY CRAP, THAT WAS FUN! Keep that sucker spun up between 9K and the 14K red-line and it flies. I even popped a micro-wheelie when I banged second gear! Wonderful on the curves - you can carry an unbelievable amount of speed. I'm not a huge fan of top end speed (crashes really REALLY hurt above 90 mph), but I love going quick through the tight twisties. Got me thinking about selling my SuperHawk and using the cash to buy the baby Ninja and a trip down to CompuTrack. Could less really be more?

SuperBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:39 PM   #119
Joel_CA
Registered Member

I don't see the advantage this bike has over the S40/Savage. I think it looks a cheap bike thats trying to be expensive. The savage is a 650 and it mangages to weight 50 lbs. less.
Joel_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:59 PM   #120
sliphorn
Registered Member

Stonedog, I do not own a Kymco. Done!
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote