Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-18-2005, 05:47 PM   #101
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Um...

If your mama beat you down as many times as Kp's has beat him down you'd be whipped too.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-18-2005, 05:48 PM   #102
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Just remember

In a country with a billion people, even if you're a one-in-a-million kind-of-guy, there's still a thousand just like you!
Old 08-18-2005, 07:11 PM   #103
sliphorn
Registered Member

Default Re: Kymco Venox Review: The Perfect First Bike?

You're good neandorman, but I gotta tell ya, there aint a Vespa on this planet that sounds as good as my trombone playing. A fellow trombonist friend of mine actually does ride his Vespa with his gig bag strapped to his back. But then again, he's a Brit, so................
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 03:13 AM   #104
Stonedog
Founding Member

Easy there sliphorn. Don't talk to me about a new world, every fifth car I see is Korean and most of my coworkers have lost their jobs to India, Ireland and Mexico. Such is life and they will find themselves new/better jobs eventually.

My comments regarding dealer network and realiabiltiy stand. I've been researching motorcycles for 4 years now and this is the first I've heard of Kymco. Sure, maybe I'm a bad researcher but I haven't seen a single Kymco dealership in the Atlanta area. Triumph? Yes, we have them. Ducati, Aprilia and Moto Guzzi? Certainly. All of the Japanese makes are well represented and of course HD is too. Not a single Kymco motorcycle dealership...

So, thank you for the implication that I am opposed to this bike only because it comes from Taiwan. I have much respect for the Chinese people (Taiwanese or otherwise) but that alone is not a good enough reason to go put $4K down for a 250cc cruiser with unproven reliability and no dealer network that I can see.

Jon
Old 08-19-2005, 03:22 AM   #105
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: That's it!

I was just keeping you on your toes.

You can remain in the GPTB and of course no one ever leaves the KPaul is an idiot club.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:01 AM   #106
sliphorn
Registered Member

Yes Stonedog, I imagine your friends will find new/better jobs, it is the way of the world. Apparently you are a bad researcher, cuz if you go to the Kymco USA website and look under dealers, you'll see that there are a bunch of dealers in Georgia including one in Atlanta, Moto Bravo. And not being familiar with the towns and cities of Georgia I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other listed dealers are near Atlanta. And the overall reliability of Kymco products is quite good, but you'd have to do research to know that.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 05:00 AM   #107
Stonedog
Founding Member

Thank you for reminding me how the world works. I will take it on faith that this is simply your manner of dealing with people and that you are not in some way trying to be patronizing.

So, there is a Kymco scooter dealership in Atlanta. You have me. I haven't visited any scooter dealerships so I did indeed miss this one. Scooters don't interest me and frankly neither does a 250cc cruiser, so I do not feel guilty. I do know (see, I've been reading about Kymco thanks in no small part to your vigorous defense of this company) that this is the biggest motorcycle Kymco makes. There is absolutely no reason why, save for this article on MO, that I would've even heard of Kymco as a *motorcycle* manufacturer while searching for the best possible starter bike. You can't honestly say that, as far as motorcycle manufacturers go, Kymco is as well known as Kawasaki or even Ducati, at least not here in the US?

To that end every motocycle-related internet forum that I have visited, especially the beginner-related forums, have made no mention of Kymco. Perhaps I need to visit more forums where the community isn't largely American? ThatÂ’s the market IÂ’m shopping in so it makes sense to focus on those forums. Maybe I need to read some UK or Asian forums to learn about other bikes I probably canÂ’t buy here in the US?

This begs the question, if Kymco has such a massive network and proven reliability why arenÂ’t more people talking about them? Even so, in what way am I obligated to go out and make sure I have uncovered every obscure and hard to find motorcycle manufacturer when there are a number of high quality, proven motorcycles that are perfect for beginners? Of course, we all want more bikes in this category. KawasakiÂ’s new ER-6n falls into this category (sadly it doesnÂ’t look like it will be coming state-side). There are a plethora of 500-650cc standards and semi-sport bikes, not to mention 500 to 800cc cruisers, which are more attractive starter bikes than what Kymco is bringing tothe US.

I'm all for the next great thing, but this Kymco motorcycle just doesnÂ’t seem like it fits in this category. Is it great for a small framed beginner bent on a cruiser? Possibly, but in my opinion $4K is a chunk to spend on this type of bike.

If Kymco makes a model similar to the new Kawasaki ER-6n or even a 500cc or 650cc twin standard or cruiser then maybe theyÂ’ll find a bit more traction in the maintstream US market? In the meantime, IÂ’ll keep my eyes open for a Hyosung dealership just to be sure that IÂ’ve looked at all of the legitimate, if obscure, options.

I'm curious why you are defending Kymco so much? My arguments are valid and are not based on some sort of bigotry or close-minded American mentality as you first hinted at with your "new world" comment. Is it because you own a Kymco scooter and feel threatened that someone isn't aware of their reliability records and distribution channels?

Jon
Old 08-19-2005, 06:40 AM   #108
HarryMyhre
Founding Member

Just my opinion - but I think the thing is ugly.... My ideal first bike would be a Honda CB350. Alas - hardly any mfgrs make "standard" bikes anymore. Only thing close to a CB350 I can think of is a Royal Enfield. My first bike was actually a CB175.

I was at the honda dealer in Hollywood, Calif. the other day. As I was leaving, one of the employees blatted out of the parking lot on a beautifully restored CB350.

I still don't understand why the 350 class doesn't exist anymore. Seems like almost perfect for 'round town riding. 250cc is just a little underpowered for 'round town rides.
HarryMyhre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:31 AM   #109
neandorman
Founding Member

Hehe...

Funny to see a little musician humor mixed in with all the Motorcycle humor

As a tuba player, it would be tough to work out a gigbag deal with my bell pushing into my helmet on my SV.

Tony Clemens, tubist for San Jose symphony, rides his HOG with a trailer to gigs. I was impressed. And inspired...

And a buddy of mine, trumpet player, was recently the national vespa racing champ.

Still doesn't make me wanna play the piccolo

neandorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:39 AM   #110
Gabe
Registered Member

Default What's the difference between a trombone player and a large cheese pizza?

A large cheese pizza can feed a family of four.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote