Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-10-2005, 07:12 PM   #61
yoavy11
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Does the Rod Brothers

If Yamaha squeezed a 1.7 liter liquid cooled engine into a competent chassis with R1 suspension and brakes. I'm sure HD with their army of accessory engineers can manage something better than the Street Rod with this engine. Buell can help them.
yoavy11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2005, 07:21 PM   #62
seruzawa
The Toad

The first few years of Honda V-4s were basically junk. Trannies blew. Top end failures galore, though infallible Honda tried to pretend otherwise. Still, it was liquid cooled and the claim was that liquid cooled bikes are better.

My Zooker is an air/oil cooled '91 1100G. Never has a lick of trouble. All I've done is replace fork seals and that sort of stuff.

I just thought that the blanket statement that water cooled bikes are more reliable was ridiculous. Especially in the 100+ summer where I can't ride the Magna 'cause the damn fan boils me up, the idle goes to shyt and the water overflow tank boils over while the ancient air/oil cooled buffalo soldiers right along. Well, I guess the Magna is more reliable in the hot summer since it can't break down 'cause I don't ride it.

The Magna is getting replaced with a Speed Triple next year anyhow.

Old 08-10-2005, 11:10 PM   #63
KillerKowalski
Founding Member

May I point out that an anecdote is not the same thing as a fact?
KillerKowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 11:13 PM   #64
KillerKowalski
Founding Member

Just curious, would you go so far as to say that all other things being equal, a liquid-cooled motor is better in thoery?
KillerKowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:49 AM   #65
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Different engine is a different story. The Revolution engine is made for Buells.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:22 AM   #66
iamz
Founding Member

Default Re: It may

"...go take a couple of electric fans and blow a nice supply of air across you car/truck motor, open the drain on your radiator and go ride for 1 hour, get a ride home from the guy driving the wrecker, then you can tell me first hand how liquid cooling makes sense. "

Well,.... let's see,.... that would prove that an engine designed for liquid cooling will fail if you run it without liquid.

And that relates to air cooled engines how?

Another freind has over 87,000 miles on his FJR. The bike has been exposed to every kind of temperature extreme you can imagine while he traveled all over the U.S. The bike still runs strong and uses very little oil.

How short lived do you think air cooled engines are?

What specifically makes you think an air cooled engine is unreliable?

Do you have any real experience that has convinced you that air cooled bikes are breaking down all over, leaving their owners stranded on the side of highways?

iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:49 AM   #67
BrowningBAR
Snuggles

Nice!
BrowningBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:50 AM   #68
seruzawa
The Toad

All other things being equal, probably. It depends greatly on the application. For example aircraft still use air cooled engines.

Old 08-11-2005, 05:08 AM   #69
maladg
Registered Member

Nice article. The std model interests me not at all. The Street Rod is a different matter.

While I haven't ridden it, I noted a distinct lack of legroom for such a large bike and a saddle that was reminicent of an old Guzzi - "made of the finest Italian marble".

Still a fine looking - and performing - bike and I detect a scent of real promise in the air for folks like me who have less than zero interest in typical HD products. Maybe a few years down the road, we'll see a StreetRod that has further distanced itself from HD styling orthodoxy...not to be taken that I want it to look like anything else. Buell is out there on the cutting edge...why not the mother company, too? (thank goodness I'm NOT a product planner. I'd probably run 'em into the ground in nothing flat - "all sport & adventure tourers - ALL THE TIME")

I liked the interesting way the story was formatted & linked. Nice work and good thinking, MO!

Longride made a most interesting comment about the N. IL geography's effect on choice of machines & attire. Flat=Crusier a lot of the time. Looks like a thought that could lead to more good articles. Even the Kook sorta caught onto that one. Sorta.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:59 AM   #70
itchface
Founding Member

Damn my slow typing!
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote