Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-10-2005, 12:45 PM   #51
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Water is the Future of Harley...

One thing to remember, the Water Cooled engines are the future of Harley. It gets harder every year to meet emissions, and I think it will be a REAL REAL reach for the air-cooled Harleys to meet Euro3/Carb 2008.

Whats actually suprising is we don't see the Vrod based tourer yet: I guess they want to keep the higher (obscene) profit margins on the current HogWings intact for the moment, rather then spending the extra money on a radiator and water pump.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2005, 12:59 PM   #52
bbehanna
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Does the Rod Brothers

Maybe you should try again, if price was your issue. In my area Harley dealers are marking down V-rods and I think there is room for more movement on price since they pushed all of them to a far corner of the showroom where they are covered with dust and generally ignored. I've noticed Harley in the UK offically lowered the list price over there, where they are actually selling pretty well, so maybe that will happen here as well.

Of course I found the same thing in those dealers who also sell Buells: very few in stock and relegated to some remote, neglected corner behind the jackets. But good discounts available.

I like Harleys and I like other bikes as well (shocking, I know). Personally both the V-rod and the Buells appeal to me but most dealers don't seem to know what to make of them. It easier to keep selling nostalgia models.
bbehanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 02:11 PM   #53
jovanxx
Registered Member

Think only way Harley will get my money is IF they put V-ROD motor into Buell frame ...

Think about it - first US made liquid cooled street fighter and good looking (?) at that...
jovanxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 02:26 PM   #54
redlegduke
Founding Member

Default V ROD MOTOR SHOULD HAVE GONE INTO FULL-BOAT TOURER RIGHT OFF THE BAT

The touring crowd would have bought the thing, proven it's worth, dusted the air cooled jokers, and paved the way with sales for a sport tourer and cruiser models.

Duke
redlegduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 03:37 PM   #55
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Trying to squeeze a V-Rod motor in a Buell frame would be like stuffing 10 pounds of shyt in a 5 pound bag. It ain't gonna fit. It's a big, heavy motor, and any resemblence to a Buell when they were done, would be purely coincidental.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:54 PM   #56
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Water is the Future of Harley...

The Buell already meets 2008 standards without a catalytic converter.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:40 PM   #57
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Seruzawa, your tranny went @ 23K? Pratically unheard of in a metric cruiser. If I'm not mistaken that problem had nothing to do with liquid cooling right? What year Magna? Many of the older Magna's had oil circulation issues, with a simple fix although Honda tried to ignore it. What Suzuki are you referring to. The Intruders use liquid on the smaller versions and air/oil on the larger, right?
Old 08-10-2005, 05:48 PM   #58
itchface
Founding Member

First Post!
itchface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:59 PM   #59
lymanwhite
Founding Member

Default Re: V ROD MOTOR SHOULD HAVE GONE INTO FULL-BOAT TOURER RIGHT OFF THE BAT

Good Article! And some good blog. I come off an 04 Dyna Sport. She is sweet with center sets, semi tunable suspension, and pretty good romp. I've thought of the 95 inch upgrade to get close to 100 hp, but I will spend about 2.5 K, and still not be close on the major changes offered by the SRod. I can give my bike and about 6K and ride the latest design and technology. I see this bike as a Naked, with US highway capability (length / track) and heft.

Funny how the latest issue of MCyclist rated their Naked picks, and totally overlooked what some in the forum see as obvious.

One other thing is the pricing. So many are concerned with the cost, but don't really tink hard about resale. I believe Harley is like Mercedes, keeps the best value hands down.
lymanwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:59 PM   #60
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: It may

Hey nothing wrong with choosing whatever, but I am surprised I would have to prove the benifits out waying the so called complexities of liquid cooling. Sure anyone can pick a few bad circumstances out of thousands (cheap attempt to deceive the not so bright). Tell ya what if I have to prove it, go take a couple of electric fans and blow a nice supply of air across you car/truck motor, open the drain on your radiator and go ride for 1 hour, get a ride home from the guy driving the wrecker, then you can tell me first hand how liquid cooling makes sense.