Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-10-2005, 06:51 AM   #31
fireworks
Founding Member

Default Re: What's with the V-Rod anyways

I should have been a bit more clear. What was at the back of my mind when I was writing the original post was Harleys supposed attempt at bringing new blood into the Harley brand. I don't see how the V-Rod will do this. It doesn't seem to have been positioned to replace the existing cruiser models; it's more of a niche product. How can a niche product help Harley transition buying generations?

I'm 31 and I don't have any interest in the bulk of Harleys products, with the exception of the 883/1200 Sportsters.

The 1200R Roadster would seem to be closer conceptually to what the goal seems to have been for the Street Rod, than the Street Rod is. The Street Rod looks, to me, like a bandage solution to a sales problem. Check out Yamaha's MT-01, the proportions look right, the Street Rod's don't. Did Harley even have a more sporty version in mind during conceptualization of a water cooled bike?

My two cents is that they design goals were not modular enough and that too many compromises were made to try to not alienate a buyer base that was not interested as soon as the heard 'water cooled'.

I think Harley needs to look at the way Triumph offers it's products. You can buy everything from a Bonneville, which is historical, to the Sprint ST, which is a high tech tourer. These models fulfill different desires and seem to exist comfortable under the same roof.

Roll on the Revolution powered Sporster!

fireworks is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2005, 06:58 AM   #32
Nplateau
Founding Member

Default Re: MO Does the Rod Brothers

Wow. That was concise.
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:35 AM   #33
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Default Re: What's with the V-Rod anyways

The Buell's would be more similar to Yamaha's MT-01. I am no HD fan but I applaud HD for at least offering something different. HD sells are based primarily on folks with a narrow focused mindset. At least there are offering something different than dumbed down bikes at premium prices.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:46 AM   #34
iamz
Founding Member

Default It may "make sense" to you...

...but not to me and many others that prefer air cooled bikes.

My friend who races supermoto had to sit out on a race a few weekends back because the "reliable" seal around his "reliable" water pump went out on him.

iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:27 AM   #35
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Been done before....

10 years too late? Make that 20. Sure looks like Honda circa 1984 to me.... Would you like your V65 engine in acruiser (Magna) or standard (Sabre)?

Personally, as a Sabre owner I'll take the Street Rod, or better yet I'll take 2 FZ1s for that price!
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:31 AM   #36
Bob_LoCicero
Founding Member

Maybe the Street Rod will inspire the folks at Honda to build an affordable alternative -- like, say an updated, 4th generation Magna!
Old 08-10-2005, 08:38 AM   #37
seruzawa
The Toad

Yeah, my Magna that blew it's tranny at 23K miles is so much more durable than my air cooled Suzuki with virtually trouble free 60K on it.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:43 AM   #38
Iman01
Founding Member

And you back this opinion up with what facts?

I have over ~130,000 miles with air cooled motorcycles and I have never been left on the side of the road.
Iman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:57 AM   #39
seruzawa
The Toad

Default You forgot...

....to include the SV650, Concours and VFR (older one) in this comparo. Fie fie fie!

The Street Rod looks cool, though the price is ridiculous. As far as the Vrod goes I think that the VMax still humiliates it. The Vrod is tailor made for the old power cruiser niche which Mad Max still owns.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:58 AM   #40
Iman01
Founding Member

It is not simply the maintenance of water cooling. Take a look at some engine designs. You can't get much more simple than an air cooled HD. Not just the shapes on the outside, look at the internals. Liquid cooled motors require lots of plumbing and most have multiples of valves per cylinder and they are just plain complicated in comparison.

What the piston does in an internal combustion engine is the same all around (sans rotary, etc). But when you take a look at all the extra stuff that is done to make power out of a water cooled engine, 4 valves per cylinder, adjustable cam timing, water passages, 4 carbs or fuel injection, coil on plug, 13,000 rpm; you have a very complicated package.
Iman01 is offline   Reply With Quote