Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-10-2005, 03:11 AM   #21
Maturin
Registered Member

Default Re: MO Does the Rod Brothers

The best Rod is the Screamin Eagle CVO. It can race or cruise.
Maturin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2005, 03:55 AM   #22
Iman01
Founding Member

Simplicity.

Water cooling, although necesarry on cars and things that you cover in panels, is just extra stuff on a naked motorcycle made for the street.

I know we can argue that lots of naked bikes need water cooling, but if their engineers put some effort into it, they could make powerful air cooled motorcycles too.
Iman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:13 AM   #23
Iman01
Founding Member

Default Re: What's with the V-Rod anyways

The problem with cruiser riders isn't that it has power.

The problem is that it has no power down low. Who wants three down shifts, on the highway, to get to the power band?

I disliked the V-rod the first time I rode it due to the semi-cruiser setup. Those forward pegs, are only a little more forward than HD standard peg location on a Dyna. And those bars, another compromise, almost drag bars, but pulled back in a lazy comfortable location. It seemed like they set out to make a power cruiser, a purpose built exciting idea, but then all of the places where the rider would integrate they took middle ground. As extreme of a divide as the bike was for HD I was not expecting compromise style ergonomics. The V-ROD should go with hard core drag bars and foreward pegs about 3 inches further out. Now that they have other RODs they can quit with the compromises and make each model do what the rider wants.
Iman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:25 AM   #24
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Just want to clarify a couple points. First, the V-Rod does not require any downshifts on the highway for passing power. It will easily wipe out any standard air-cooled Harley on a 60-80 or 80 - 100 roll on. It wouldn't even be close. It's IN the powerband at 60 on the highway, and a twist of the throttle will get you by anything short of a Corvette racing you to the spot. The other thing is the peg locaton you mention. It is already a 29 inch reach to the pegs, and they are nowhere near a standard Dyna location. Three inches farther out would make a 32 inch reach to the pegs. How many people could reach that? Harley actually has a kit to bring them in closer than the current location for the inseam challenged. Flat drag bars, I agree, would be better than the standard bars that sweep too far back for comfort. Harley also has flatter bars in the catalog, if that change is desired.
Old 08-10-2005, 04:28 AM   #25
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I think the Night Rod looks fantastic. I just saw one in person last week. The only trouble I see is the low seat combined with the standard peg location might be a bit short on legroom for taller folks. Other than that, you have to see it in person. It's stunning!
Old 08-10-2005, 05:09 AM   #26
Fenton
Founding Member

Good call, Longride. I'm betting the Night Rod would be tight. The street rod really makes you sit "on" the bike. I wasn't that crazy about the position.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:20 AM   #27
fireworks
Founding Member

Buell is really a bit of a problem isn't it? Buell is the real face of Harley performance, but Harley can't really make effective use of it. There can't be a lot of cross selling of Harley's from Buell.

Maybe what Harley should have done was build a water cooled Sportster. This way they could call it a Harley and the performance image wouldn't be much of a stretch.
fireworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:39 AM   #28
SmokeU
Registered Member

They could, but they'd never be as reliable, durable, or as consistant as liquid cooled engines.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:45 AM   #29
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Drain and fill, that's a tuff one. Yep air cooled is more simple, so is one cyclinder vs. two, one carb vs. two. So then you spend thousands for more displacement, cams etc. etc., have a less dependable motor, when you could have just bought a better design. Water cooling on cars is not necessary just smart. Can you imagine removing cooling systems from your auto and just keep adding displacement til you have descent power and then you call it more simple? Internal combutsion is internal combustion in a car or motorcycle. Bottom line if you want strong power and reliability liquid cooling just makes sense.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:16 AM   #30
rjobe51
Founding Member

I agree with the comment that Buell should be developing something with the V-Rod motor. I live on one of the main arteries leading to the local Harley dealership in my town, and I've seen very few V-Rods on the street, and probably fewer Buells. it seems ridiculous that Harley puts the high tech V-Rod donk in cruiser type bikes and tries to make a sport bike (Buell) with an antiquated air cooled motor, no matter how modernized.

The assless chaps crowd has no love for the V-Rod, and aficianados of sport twins have no desire for a bike decked out "like a tart's handbag", as the Brits say. I believe Harley needs to rethink what the V-Rod is, and perhaps give Buell the reins to develop a bike based on the V-Rod motor. I would like to see something more classically styled than the current Buells, however. Something along the lines of a modern-day Vincent Black Shadow.
rjobe51 is offline   Reply With Quote