Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-31-2005, 08:37 PM   #1
ender
Registered Member

Default The reason standards can't win

Gabe, you are right on the money, but misinterpreted one piece of data you found. You are right that it is difficult to find a low mile standard. You are right that that is because they are getting ridden. The problem is that those of us who have discovered your lesson that a good standard gives us everything we could ever need, can't justify to ourselves or SWMBO that we should get a NEW bike. I have a BMW K75 with an aftermarket fairing. It is not sexy, but it does EVERYTHING I want it to do. When I go down and look at a MG Breva, or heaven help me a K1200R I just can't justify the expense. My K75 probably has another 100,000 miles left in it...
ender is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-31-2005, 08:49 PM   #2
Nplateau
Founding Member

Default Re: Manifesto Part Duex: Gabe Prophesies The End Of Sportbikes

Nice article Gabe. MO needs more of these articles. BTW, when the heck is that B-Group 600s plus Buell article coming out?
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
Nplateau
Founding Member

Oh and I really like the pictures. Is that supposed to be Ebass with the pacifier? The Che picture isn't bad either. I prefer the Maddox version however...

www.xmission.maddox.com
Old 07-31-2005, 08:53 PM   #4
Nplateau
Founding Member

Sorry... that's www.maddox.xmission.com
Old 07-31-2005, 09:18 PM   #5
rapier
Founding Member

That 1500 annual mileage avererage is amazing. I wonder how it was arrived at. What's the source.

I've always said that a lot of people buy bikes because they like the idea of motorcycles, not the riding. Most of these like the idea of belonging to some group or another and a few just like machines.

Some I suspect never learn to trust themselves driving them. And let's face it, the danger is there. Or they get a freight and hang it up. I've heard these stories for years.

Even a Gold Wing can be uncomfortable in hot, cold, or wet conditions. This covers a part of most days in most places.

I drive a ZZR1200 now. It's almost a standard and was cheap. 10K a year or so in the 7 month Michigan season.

rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:20 PM   #6
Rubble
Founding Member

Every word is true. But it goes far, far deeper than just motorcycles. The entire North American psyche is tuned in to style over substance at any cost, bigger is better, and I'm more important than you.
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:41 PM   #7
ofreen
Registered Member

I once owned both an '87 GSX-R1100 and a '90 CBR1000F at same time. I loved the GSX-R, but there was no denying the CBR was more pleasant to do 500+ mile days on. For me, the CBR is as comfortable as my R100GS-PD, maybe more so, and have done some 700-800 mile days on it.

The GSX-R weighed about 500 pounds wet, the CBR about 600. At the time, I'd wonder why no one made a bike like the CBR that weighed what the GSX-R does.

When it came time to reduce the herd a little, I sold the GSX-R. I still have the CBR. Some days I still miss the old Suzook, gone these many years. sniff.

The point of all this is I think a sport bike like the CBRs with their little more upright seating position, and full fairing are as practical as a so-called standard, maybe more so because of the weather protection. Easier to clean, too.
ofreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:53 PM   #8
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Look:

Don't you guys get all semantic on me. I was referring to hardcore sportbikes, not practical, all-arounders like the CBR1000 or the VFR, or the ZZR1200. Those things are good. Yeah!

But hardly anybody buys bikes like that now.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:56 PM   #9
sconley
Founding Member

Default Right on... Please provide more examples of possible contenders...

...I recently sold three motorcycles in the hopes of buying one, "all arounder." My three bikes comprised of: 2000 Monster 900sie for the street/sport riding. A 750ss/795cc track-only bike, and a Royal Enfield 500cc that I mostly bought to hop up and putt around town on. All three bikes have been sold now and I still haven't pulled the trigger on this, "all around motorcycle," as I'm having problems finding it... Ideally, it would be a standard, have fully adjustable suspension, be able to cruise the city, countryside, or the track (a twin would be nice, but that's subjective)... And for me it has to be under 10k. So what does that leave us with? Well, the bike I just sold a Monster (which I'm seriously thinking about picking up another one now), but not the 600-800cc monsters, just the new 1000 and the old 900S models have the fully adjustable suspension, the rest don't make the list. The multistrada is very very appealing on paper, but I may be more vain than I care to admit. An SV1000, but it's a little on the heavy side and I can't see where the weight comes from... The Buell XB9S is something I've almost bought three times now... The chassis, ergonomics, and suspension are all there... I can even overlook the engine technology as I do think it gets the job done just fine... But what sucks in my geeky engineer perspective, is the way the motor is mounted to the chassis, it's not a stressed member and they have these tie-rods extending from the chassis to the engine... It just looks weak as hell and screams, "This motor does not belong here, it is a prototype and we will work out a better way to mount it if enough people buy this version." If I could, I'd buy a Buell XB9s, with a Ducati 1000cc air-cooled engine (properly mounted), hold the desmo and keep the hydraulic valves and belt drive... So what else is available that fits this bill... I'd buy the Yamaha MT-03 in a heartbeat if it came with the suspension bits that are on the prototype, but they haven't stated an intent to even build it. I'd even strongly consider the Derbi Mulhacen, but again, it's not available. Is there anything, or should I just buy a race prepped SV with all the suspension mods for the track, and a decent street standard and give up the single-bike dream?

Additional Readings:

Derbi Mulhacen:

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycleofthe...n_659_2005.php

Yamaha MT-03:

http://ymedc.introweb.nl/en/archive/street/mt03.shtml
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:00 PM   #10
hector
Founding Member

Default Re: Right on... Please provide more examples of possible contenders...

I understand your pain. However, you say that you want to keep it under 10 grand and then go off on wanting to buy two bikes again or unpriced prototype bikes.

If you are willing to spend a bit more you should look at the BMW K1200R (BMW even has some incredible financing deals).

Upright seating position, 150+ hp, trick hossack front suspension, electronically adjusted suspension (no more getting off the bike and twisting a knob to guess just high tight or loose you want it) just push a button and you can change damper and pre-load. It is being used as a race bike in the BMW Cup series at Moto GP, options include ABS brakes, accessorie bags, GPS , and a bunch of other expensive gadgets if that's your thing.

The looks are something only you can decide on - some love it, some think the design team had one too many late nights at the beer garden - your choice.

Check it out.

And no, I'm not a BMW rep. I just own the S version of the bike and it's a great engine and suspension. I was tempted by the R version, but I fall into the category of those who think the design engineers had a "let's see who can make the front end uglier" contest.
hector is offline   Reply With Quote