Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-01-2005, 07:44 AM   #61
LIMEDUST
Registered Member

Default Re: Manifesto Part Duex: Gabe Prophesies The End Of Sportbikes

Yeah, I forgot about the 919, that would work pretty well, I'd imagine. One problem with the 919, FZ1 etc, is the insurance. These bikes seem to be classed as sportbikes, and that is definately reflected in the quotes I got. The bandit was a contender, but I understand the valves need to be checked every 4000 miles!!! If thats true, well its right out of the running for me. Cheap, cheerful and will do anything though!

I don't know what to tell you about the mileage. The guy I bought it off, said he only got around 40 mpg as well. I changed the oil, cleaned all the crap off the chain and sprockets, tightened the chain, changed the spark plugs, and check the carb synchronization (which was fine). After that, I've been getting about 47-48 on my daily commute, and 52-53 if I'm 'sport-touring'. The commuting is me just chugging along with traffic at anywhere between 30-50 mph, with some freeway mixed in at around 70-80 mph. No hard accellerating, or braking or 'fun' riding, just the mindless commute.

If you've changed the oil and filter and chain, maybe the carbs need synching? That would affect you're mileage. Maybe tire pressure also? I find it hard to believe it would make that much difference though. Maybe I just ride like Ms. Daisy!
LIMEDUST is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2005, 07:46 AM   #62
SmokeU
Registered Member

Well, I'm 24 and riding a Concours....
Old 08-01-2005, 07:46 AM   #63
pattonme
Founding Member

fixing the NH is EASY. The Tim HOdge mod will wake the motor right up. ZRX shocks will transform the handling (rediculously ass-heavy) and is an order of magnitude better. F2 forks are a good idea. The bike is severaly underbraked on the front. If you want to change the least, source a caliper and fork leg off a ST1100.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:02 AM   #64
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: He's Right, You Know...

That's exactly why I've hung on to my old airhead Gabe. BTW an excellent article. It's about time somebody in motorcycle journalism pointed out the truth to the poser end of the motorcycling spectrum.

Van
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:08 AM   #65
Haird
Founding Member

Last I heard of Utah, they're quite enamored of ***, particulary for lots and lots of little brides.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:09 AM   #66
LIMEDUST
Registered Member

Default Re: Features...

I understand your point, I guess, but I can't believe a centerstand really restricts ground clearance for 99% of riders, as they simply don't push the bike that hard. And weight? You can put on that much weight over Thanksgiving! But its all down to perception isn't it. If its perceived to weigh more or be less sporty, or not look like its supposed to, they won't sell as many, so useful features get left off.

I didn't know Harleys had hydraulic valves, but I can't afford one anyway! I figured the reason that noone else added hydraulic valves was the weight and complexity, but it seems like such a good trade off! I guess with the longer intervals between adjustments, most people don't care, and I'm sure I could do it every 2 years or so, but given the choice of every 2 or 3 years, and NEVER, I'll take the 3 extra pounds the hydraulic valves weigh and laugh at everyone else! But thats just me.

I just need a standard with a more powerful motor than the Nighthawk, thats not peaky in its power delivery, maybe a V-formation of one kind or another, decent suspension and brakes (they don't have to be top notch), and shaft drive. Throw in a clock and four-way flashers while you're at it. Make it easy to attach luggage and all that, and make it relatively inexpensive! I guess not enough people would buy one. The new Moto Guzzi Breva 1100 fits the bill for me, but at $11,000 its out of my league, and I'm still concerned about the number of dealers around here....but thats another issue.
LIMEDUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:14 AM   #67
Haird
Founding Member

That's about 20cents, right, heh,heh.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:17 AM   #68
KevDog
Registered Member

I know a guy who got a killer sweet deal on a Park Avenue Ultra (w/supercharger) at age 25. I thought he was wierd. Still do.
KevDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 08:20 AM   #69
Haird
Founding Member

Well, there's a lot to be said for shaft drive and air-cooling (at least for the R-bikes), and even though the 6,000 mile valve adjust seems excessive at least its easy to reach them on a boxer, and ther's not much better than BMW system cases. Yeah, BMWs are OK, and they definitely are designed for real-world use rather than ultimate horsepower.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:31 AM   #70
dsm
Founding Member

Default Re: You must not have read any Ann Coulter, then!

Sorry for being so harsh, it's Monday. And no, I'm not a fan of Ms. Coulter.

I get my feathers rumpled when I read sweeping generalizations about motorcyclists, we have been fighting them for years.

Saying "American's don't ride motorcycles" is no more accurate than saying "All motorcyclists are drunken criminals" or summat.

Generalizations always apply to some but never to all. In your example you do a disservice to those of us who actually do ride, even if we are in the minority.

I do actually agree with you that standards are the way to go. My next ride was going to be a Vstrom or Zrex until I saw that new Buell thing.
dsm is offline   Reply With Quote