Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-01-2005, 05:44 AM   #51
bbtowns
Founding Member

Default Re: Manifesto Part Duex: Gabe Prophesies The End Of Sportbikes

Great work Gabe, you're writing is becoming like JB's, controversial and enjoyable. Of couse you probably pissed off 85% of your subscribers...

I agree with everything you said, but actually think we've got reasonable selection in the Standards, not quite like Europe, but the landscape isn't bare either. Every major Japanese manufacturer has multiple "standards/dualies/hooligan" bikes. BMW and Ducati have numerous options, and the Speed Triple and Tuono are both beauties. There are a lot of European options that look sweet we don't get, but the cup is half full!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2005, 05:45 AM   #52
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Amen! You can't get more real world than including the 52% of our population without a Y chromosome. I took my girlfriend bike shopping recently and while I'm pretty short (5'6"), I'm still a tad over the average female height in North America. I could touch ground on about 15% of the bikes in the market and my girlfriend could touch ground on only three models (she's 5'3"). How is a new rider supposed to get confidence on their bike when there is a chance that they will dump the thing on its side at every stop light?

I've been bugging Triumph to make a Bonneville with a 500cc v-twin. If it made 50hp at the rear wheel, had a 29" seat height, and was marketed to women, it would sell. Agile, light, comfortable, fuel efficient, able to be turned into anything from a long-distance tourer to a cafe racer with the right accessories ... I would consider buying one myself.
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:47 AM   #53
svo68
Registered Member

KTM or Kawa ZRX 12 or

1985 GS 1150 E
svo68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:50 AM   #54
edward44
Founding Member

You mean ***** ? What's so bad about that. Does this site originate in Utah?
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:04 AM   #55
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: But I want more power!

Why do you think you need 120~160 hp for the street? That's part of the problem right there, "it's only got 70 or 80 or 100 hp"

All the bikes I've had except HD's and my Airhead have been between 90 and 100 horses, have all got ridden my average 18k a year or so and were all perfectly suitable sporty standards.

My three most recent bikes, a '97 VFR, '01 1200 Bandit and my current '02 1200 Trophy when in the peak of their power band were and are flat screaming down the road. I can't really see where an additional 20 or 60 horses would have made them "better". That "more is better" attitude just feeds the problem.

The '79 R100RT I had probably made 70 horses on a good day, but was just as much fun, if not more so in the long run, as my ZX10 that made almost twice that because it's more moderate power was accessible in the real world, not at the upper end of the performance envelope.

Big power numbers are great for a track bike, but for the most part are unused, therefore unnessiccary for the street.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:29 AM   #56
pattonme
Founding Member

Default Re: Right on... Please provide more examples of possible contenders...

Kawasaki ZR7s with ZX6F forks, calipers and rear shock. No I'm not kidding. It's a such a trivial bolt-on it's not even funny.

Kawasaki Z750 with ZX6F forks, calipers, and rear shock. Yup, Kawi engineers have a clue even if their marketing people don't.

SV650 with ZX6F cartridge internals and slightly modified GSXR shock from www.svraceshop.com

Honda CB750 Nighthawk with CBR F2 or F3 forks and fender as needed. Or ST1100 forks. ZRX1100 shocks.

How do I know this? I've done it to my bikes. Mods are well under $1000 and generally around $500.

The FZ6 should have come with the YZF6R's forks and shock but didn't for inexplicable reasons.

Basically, a little ebay clicking and you can transform the cheapskate bikes into a worthy street and trackday mount.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:38 AM   #57
fizzchem
Founding Member

Default Re: Point at Myself!?! Are you nuts?!?

1,800 miles/year is a poser to someone who lives in California and lives 50 miles from work. Here in the real world, we have this thing called Winter, which curtails riding quite a bit. We also may live a lot closer to our place of employment, in some cases, as little as 5 miles. If you rode *every day* to work (not considered a poser by anyone's standard) that would be 2,500 miles, pretty close to that mean.

That said, I do agree that 1,800 miles is a small amount, it is an *average*, however, and that kind of statistic could be misleading. Bar hopping weekend riders probably weight that statistic down.

But I guess one of your points is you want sportbikes to be available, because that's where the technology for the naked bikes are going to come from. But you don't want anyone to buy them.

Another one of your points seems to be that wearing leathers on the road is a bad idea. Is one to assume that jeans protect better, or should everyone go out and look like the Michelin Man and buy an Aerostich?
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:39 AM   #58
Haird
Founding Member

Default Re: But I want more power!

According to the latest Cycle World, the Ulysses does 0-60 in 3.7 seconds, has a top of 131 mph and gets over 40 mpg. A comfy GSXR woudl be nice, but this is really about as much performance as I ever use on the road.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:41 AM   #59
pattonme
Founding Member

Default Re: Features...

who in their right mind needs an FZ1? Nobody. 70HP or 600cc is all the entire world can possibly use. Untold MILLIONS of people ride bikes smaller than 250cc.

So it doesn't matter if a valve adjust falls on a 1 or 2 year cycle or even if the bike is free. I DON'T WANT ONE!
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:43 AM   #60
fizzchem
Founding Member

I would never ride a Supermotard on the highway for any extended period of time. Nice try tho.
fizzchem is offline   Reply With Quote