Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-01-2005, 05:10 AM   #41
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Point at Myself!?! Are you nuts?!?

We here at MO tend to enjoy the sporty standard more than any other bike. We love the Buell XB series, Yamaha had to send the sherrif to get their FZ-1 back, and one of Sean's favorite all-time motorcycle was the Aprilia Tuono.

But when we ride 160 HP superbikes, it's hard to not be excited about them...because they are really awsome! Nothing I'd want to own, unless I had a stable of bikes, but modern sportbikes are awesome, and it's hard to not be enthusiastic about them.

But if the majority of motorcycle mag readers are 1800 mile-per-year poseurs, well, the magazine editors are going to write for that audience.

Maybe the next manifesto will turn from angering and alienating our readership to angering and alienating the rest of the industry, cementing my total isolation from society. Thanks for that pointer!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2005, 05:12 AM   #42
Gabe
Registered Member

Default But I want more power!

Why can't I have that with a 120 or 160 HP motor? Sure, the Buell may be plenty fast on the street, and it's a great bike, but I want more choices than that.

I want a comfy GSXR1000!

Old 08-01-2005, 05:14 AM   #43
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Manifesto Part Duex: Gabe Prophesies The End Of Sportbikes

It isn't the word. It would be a three letter combo in that word that they would like to keep off the pages. I'm sure you can figure it out.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:15 AM   #44
dsm
Founding Member

Well, I must say I'll not be jumping on the bandwagon with a "me too" to your all encompassing wisdom. In fact, that had to be one of the most narrow minded, uninformed pile of bigoted blather I've read in a very long time.

Over the last 30+ years I've ridden cruisers, standards, dual sports, tourers, and even the occasional sport bike. I've put enough miles on two wheels to go to the moon and back at least once, maybe twice.

To lump all of us dumbass 'mericans into one giant dung heap is simply absurd. There are as many types of riders out there as there are rides. Mayhaps you need to get out more and meet some real motorcyclsts instead of hanging with the posers.

dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:18 AM   #45
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Features...

Motorcycle manufacturers install the features American consumers want. They don't install the ones they don't.

Why would a guy putting 1800 miles per year on his bike give a rat's as$ about adjusting valves if he won't need to do it for five or six years? And centerstand? It adds weight and subtracts from ground clearance, and it only helps with maintenance. See point #1.

Also, Harleys have had hydraulic lifters for years. But basically, the hydraulic valves add weight and complexity to the valve train, limiting performance.

The FZ-1 has a 26,000 mile valve adjustment interval. Surely you can spring for a valve adjustment every 2.5 years?

Old 08-01-2005, 05:19 AM   #46
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Default Amen Brother!!

Even the mighty judges here at MO tend to get totally gushy over the latest GSXYZF 1000RR if it has (gasp!) 1.5 more ponies and weighs 3 pounds less than last years model.

Journos need to look at these bikes more from a real world usage point of view rather than how they would perform in a GP.

For example;

Does the pipe placement on the new Gixxer still burn the heels of those new bling laden sneakers?

OR How fast/far should one ride a Hayabusa before it's safe to put ones feet on the foot rests with out losing contol?

Also does that mondo raked out front end on the latest batches of "choppers" really make backing into the parking spaces at your local bar on bike night that much harder?

These are all burning issues that modern bike riders want to know.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:25 AM   #47
rgmax
Founding Member

Amen!!! I started riding in the mid 70s, my first bike was a Kawasaki H2. I've been riding sport bikes since the were invented, GPZs, GXSRs, ZX7s, Ducati 851, etc. The last sportbike I owned was a 01 R1. It was fast, light, handled great but I hated to ride it, 45 min. and I was beat! I sold it 8 months later at 900 miles.

That got me thinking. Most of the sportbikes I had owned were sold in 1-2 years with 2-5k miles. The last 'standard' bike I had owned, a 78 KZ1000 MKll , had 22k on it after 2 years.

I came to the realization that for street use sportbikes just were'nt much fun. Sure they looked great, but it was torture riding them any distance.

I ended up getting a 02 BMW k1200RS. Sort of sporty looking but something I could actually ride places.. far away. With a passenger no less! And with clip on hard luggage I could take stuff with me!

I ended up putting 14k on it in first year, more than I ridden in the previous 5-6 years.

But now I'm looking for something more 'standard'. Like the new BMW K1200R. No bodywork, but still has high end technology, ABS, electronic suspention, etc and hard bags.
rgmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:39 AM   #48
wilro09
Registered Member

I sold a Honda VFR800 a little over a year ago. It gave 5 years of great riding but I couldn't survive more than one long day in the saddle. Even thought this is supposed to be one of the most comfortable sportbikes around. I like weekend and week-long trips and the VFR was getting it done. I have 3 "moto-cycles" in my garage: BMW R1200RT, Honda CB1000, and a Suzuki Burgman 400. All of these are fun to ride because they are comfortable. My biggest problem is deciding which one to ride.
wilro09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:39 AM   #49
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Make sure you are driving that MG Midget uphill all day. That way when it breaks, you can coast it home to fix it.
Old 08-01-2005, 05:40 AM   #50
Gabe
Registered Member

Default You must not have read any Ann Coulter, then!

But please let me make this clear: I'm not insulting any specific group of motorcyclists: I'm insulting the vast majority of American motorcyclists who don't actually ride thier motorcycles.

Although you just lumped all Americans into one pile by calling us dumbasses. However, I know there are exceptions to every rule.

But the fact is this: Americans don't ride motorcycles, even if they actually own one! There's 7 million registered motorcycles, and only 700,000 get ridden to work?

I hang out with plenty of real motorcyclists. It's hard to hang out with poseurs becasue they're never actually riding, and that's what I like to do!

Anyway, I'm sorry you didn't like it, I'll catch you next time.