Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-01-2005, 04:37 AM   #31
giuliom
Founding Member

Default Re: Manifesto Part Duex: Gabe Prophesies The End Of Sportbikes

Hey, I could have written your post! 1992 NH 750, 10-12k a year. Commute daily and take it up the canyons around here on weekends: no, it's not going to beat the GSXRs with capable riders, but it's a great all-around tool and I went up to Laguna Seca and did some extra riding and put a little over 1500 miles in a single trip and had more fun that should be legal to have. I do think that there is a choice of upgrades for the NH. These are: the Honda 919 (the "hornet," as they call it in Europe, is a great seller there in the 600 and 900 cc versions, precisely because tit does everything). The Bandit 1200 (low maintenance, and valves are adjustable the old-fashioned way), the FZ1, etc.

BTW, I can't get 50 mpg: I get about 44 or so. What's your secret?
giuliom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2005, 04:44 AM   #32
iamz
Founding Member

Default Timely article

It's interesting you should publish this article after my own experience this weekend. I have two bikes; a DR650 (which I consider a long legged standard) and a 750 Shadow Spirit. I've been riding the Shadow just about every day to and from work for the last few weeks because I'm planning on taking the DR out to Montana in early September on a two week trip, and I was trying to minimize the mileage on the DR's tires until then.

I took the DR out on Saturday for the first time in a couple of weeks to drive to Delano to look at the 620 Multistrada. Anyway, after about 10 or so miles down the road, I realized I had forgotten about the DR. In other words, the bike fits so perfect and does everything just right, that it faded from my mind and I was out there doing what we all hope to be doing; riding our bikes effortlessly. I realized at that moment, that all bikes should be like that (at least all of my bikes).

The Shadow on the other hand always seems to make it's presence known. It's relentless in that it never lets me forget it's there. And I find myself less aware of my surroundings because of that. That, is a bad thing for any number of reasons, with safety being foremost.

So, I've decided to keep riding the DR instead now and put on another set of tires just before the trip even if there are miles left on the current set at that time. It's just money anyway.

BTW, I couldn't get myself to buy the Multistrada. It has everything I want functionally and the fit is perfect and should have been the perfect "street only" version of my DR. I just can't live with that front end. Damn it Ducati, why did you have to make her so fugly up front?
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:44 AM   #33
m_t_yeo
Founding Member

Logic has that if your feet are well forward of your hips, most of your weight will be placed on your butt, which sounds like it is fine for you folks. For me, it wa terrible. I rode my older brother's cruiser around the local industrial park for a whole 15 minutes and my tailbone was killing me by the end of it. Hanging my arms from his ape-hangers meant my hands weren't getting enough blood, and so I had pins and needles afterwards, too.

That 15 minute ride had me switching to a Triumph Thruxton with raised bars so that I could even out my weight distribution a bit.
m_t_yeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:46 AM   #34
Gabe
Founding Member

Default He's Right, You Know...

BMW does a stellar job of building real-world motorcycles...I loved riding a K1200S 450 miles. They are just so heavy, expensive and over-complicated.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:50 AM   #35
emmit_1
Founding Member

I gotta agree with just about every word of this article. I ride a MG EV100. A cruiser, sorta, but it has bags and a windshield so it's pretty practical, and I love to ride it. But I don't ride a lot because of COST. I crunched some numbers, and most people don't , or don't wanna believe me, but what I discovered is kinda alarming. It's not the bike. I have spent only $20 on unscheduled maintanence on this machine. However, my CAGE has 120,000 miles on it, and it would cost more to keep tires on a big bore motorcycle for that long, than the entire cost of maintaining that car! And I'm figureing 12,000 miles per set of tires, and my originals only lasted 7,000 before the rear tire was shot. Then throw in valve adjustments, more frequent and more expensive oil changes etc. and you discover motorcycles cost a LOT. I'm thinkin of a scooter for daily transportation , as they ARE a blast to ride. But my motorcycle is gonna be used only for the best riding days. I have a 34 mile commute to work, and I simply can't see spending the extra money to ride to work daily, and put up with the rain, cold etc...
emmit_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:55 AM   #36
Gabe
Founding Member

Default Good Eye! You caught my massive exaggeration!

I had heard that from somewhere, and you shamed me into being a good journalist and looking it up.

My research led me here: http://www.bts.gov/publications/nati...ble_04_11.html

Average useage of motorcycles went from a high of 2,700 miles in 1998 to 1,800 miles in 2003 (the last year stats are available).

Man, I can't believe that number myself.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:58 AM   #37
iamz
Founding Member

I was out just yesterday watching kart track supermotard racing. The speed never gets up on those tracks, but the competition was none the less fierce. Lots of crashing going on too in the dirt section. Fun to watch at least.

I'm actually thinking of buying another DR650 or something similar to convert to a supermotard for the street. I'll skip the kart track racing though. The riding season in MN is short enough as it is without having to be off the bikes waiting for bones to heal.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:58 AM   #38
stoney8888
Founding Member

Gabe, I mostly agree with everything you say.

But do you really feel that a pick-up is made for every kind of driving exp. I have a chevy pick-up and man it is anoying on twisty roads, when I want to take someone with me and when I want to take something with me and its raining. I just think that maybe a station wagon or heven for bid a SUV is more versital. I also don't see myself owning any of these, so I'll keep posing in my truck.
stoney8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:07 AM   #39
MykePagan
Founding Member

Default Here's my ill-thought-out solution:

A recent print magazine said something interesting in it's article on the Buell Ullysses. they said that Sport-Touring bikes sell so abysmally that the manufacturer can't even recoup the cost of tooling the hard saddlebags, let alone the whole bike.

What about making a hardcore sportbike that can be converted into a standard or sport tourer by the owner? That way the manufacturer can sell into the high volume segment, but the owner can make it a useful bike if need be. It would take 4 components: a taller seat, lower footpegs, handlebar risers, and a taller windscreen.

Riders have been doing this themselves for a long time. Look at the success of Heli bars, Corbin seats, and the vast windscreen market. The only thing lacking is lower footpegs. There are millions of racy rearsets made, but that's going in the opposite direction.

I owned a string of Ducatis, but noticed that I was doing just this kind of modification. I even used a set of rearset brackets mounted upside-down and backwards to give me more leg room (I'm only 6'0", but it's all in my legs). That's when I tried a sport touring bike and liked it. Current ride is an FZ1, but that Ullysses is looking mighty good right now...

I still wish for a pure sportbike, but I want it as a second bike, not my primary ride. I hear there are a lot of low-mileage GSXR's out there...
MykePagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:08 AM   #40
ncelik
Founding Member

I just sold my bike because I felt tired riding more than 30 minutes on it. I am looking a pristine used bike right now and what made the list?

SV650, 599 and Monster.

Yep, all three naked standards. In that sense, I 100% agree.

Looking at the milages of used bike however, BMW's seem to have consistently the highest milage of all the used bikes. (And surprisingly they sell for top $ even with 20K miles on them). Are the BMW's the best choice for people actually riding?

ncelik is offline   Reply With Quote