Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-01-2005, 03:25 AM   #21
pikehk
Founding Member

Default Re: Manifesto Part Duex: Gabe Prophesies The End Of Sportbikes

Here here
pikehk is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2005, 03:25 AM   #22
gbrummett
Founding Member

Great article and great posts!

Too bad so much of it is true, where are all those motorcycles in the US, like was said gathering dust in a garage!
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 03:31 AM   #23
maxriderdon
Founding Member

Great read Gabe! Best bike Iv'e owned was a Concours because of it's ergos (with heli bars) and universal approach. My cruisers I have always had to make them fit me. For me mini apes/tall buckhorns made the reach more comfy. But why do cruisers cost more and then dish out el cheapo suspension and brake components??? Personally the hyper scooter Zuki Burgamn 650, and BMW's R1150R are two very interesting rides. I may go back to my old Concours though as the support and fuction are hard to beat.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:34 AM   #24
edward44
Founding Member

Yeah, right on. What we need is a law forcing people to buy sensible motorcycles and ride them. No inspection sticker unless the clock shows at least an additional 10,000 miles on it.

Some home truths: Most people don't ride motorcycles because, being perceptive, they recognize them as inherently dangerous and uncomfortable especially when it rains. It would follow that they see anyone who does ride them as lacking in basic common sense. In other words, they are never going to see it any other way so quit worrying about it

I started riding in the Cretaceous period when motorcyclists were regarded (with justification) as pond s*****. The bikes weren't practical nor comfortable but it makes no difference when your are 19 or so. Looking at the average age of bikers today tells you about how they can adapt to long periods in the saddle.

The only justification for riding the things is for cheap thrills. And posing.

This is still a (somewhat) free country despite BushCo and the law and order freaks so let people exercise free choice in the narrow arena available.

Do your thing and let others be.

Amen.

edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 03:40 AM   #25
bikervince
Founding Member

Hey, you're not the only one who feels this way. Now there are two of us. I have a standard (Bandit 1200 with Gen-Mar risers) and, while it is fairly comfortable for long rides, I still feel like there's too much pressure on my hands and my legs are kind of cramped by the footpeg position. It's nowhere near as comfy as my old Yamaha VStar cruiser with it's big plush seat and floorboards. The seating position was very natural to me (like sitting in a regular chair) and a tiny little windshield was all it took to reduce the windblast at hiway speeds. Never should of sold that bike...

BikerVince
bikervince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:06 AM   #26
RIT_Phatmac
Registered Member

Gabe, Right on!

You're missing one important piece--you don't need a big motor to have fun on a motorcycle. The Supermoto DRZ 400, the sv650, Wee Strom are great examples of this. I'm glad Kawasaki has recognized this with their new 650 twin.

For city riding, commuting, and for all around fun, we need more modern 500s, and fewer 1000s.
RIT_Phatmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:09 AM   #27
edward44
Founding Member

S-c-u-m ( a mass of tangled algal filaments in stagnant waters) a forbidden word? La de da.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:11 AM   #28
Mooner
Founding Member

I was hypothesizing this myself just the other day. The really sad thing is I am 29 and own a VFR that I am thinking about selling, or trading in on an FJR or ST1300. The really really sad part is that after test rides, I am leaning towards the ST1300. None are more suprised than myself. It is just that long rides on the VFR with pillion in tow don't work the way I'd like them to. Is this some kind of reverse-early-mid-age crisis? Should someone really be riding a big upright sport-touring rig before he even reaches the age of 30? I know I would put on more miles.

I think the only thing that lets me admit this is the fact that (in my opinion) there really is no way to push a sportbike beyond the capabilities of these big things on the street. That and I also have an SV650 that I can take to the track.

Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:22 AM   #29
bornready
Registered Member

Very interesting and provocative article. I'm sure that I'm in the minority, but why do standards have to be "naked?" I like full fairings for their wind and weather protection and the resulting reduction in fatigue on longer and faster rides. I've got Heli Bars on my 929 and XX and often do 200 to 300 mile days on them without feeling too beat up. I would love to see a truly high performance bike with standard ergos, top quality frame, suspension and brakes - and an effective wind tunnel-designed fairing. The VFR is close, but I'm addicted to literbikes. The ST and FJR are great but too big and heavy. I'm really happy with the XX so it's not like I'm exactly without a ride I love. It would be great, though (for me, at least) to see the manufacturers offer something with that kind of performance and sophistication, but with a more comfortable riding position.
bornready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:25 AM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

Many Americans do have the idea that if a .38spec is sufficient then they have to buy a .44mag, don't they? Gabe, don't you know that calling sportbike owners posers in a motorcycle publication will get you tied up in worn out 630 o-ring chains and skewered with a titanium slip-on?

I agree with much of this but there is danger in drawing too broad a generality. The US is a large country with very diverse geography. While a sportbike may make sense in some parts of the country in others they are a complete waste of money. If you encounter some of the abrupt and vicious desert/canyon winds where I live you will may be very sorry that you have a 400lb fully faired bike. My 600lb naked "G" holds up very nicely while other much lighter bikes I've owned have had me nearly in a ditch a number of times. When my wife and I go for our summer tours I've noticed that 90% of the bikes on the road are HDs. Half of them are softails/dynas. So I'd say that there is a substantial section of the cruiser crowd who do put on beaucoup miles.

Maybe it's because when I started riding the most powerful bikes had 50HP or so, but I still find that the most fun I have on bikes are still on smaller lower hp bikes. As an analogy I'd say that while on paper a Nissan 300ZX Turbo may be the cat's meow an MG Midget is still a lot more pure fun to drive.

One newer class of bike you didn't mention that may actually break this American cruiser/sportbike paradigm is the supermotard. These have great appeal and make track racing affordable and available. You can use go-kart tracks. These might just attract more dirt riders to the street, especially with higher gas prices, and in the real world they get around the canyons as well as anything. And when you dump it you just pick it up and continue riding.

The sportbike owners suddenly notice that the tarpits are soft and sricky.

(heh heh. I used the word "paradigm).