Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-10-2005, 04:06 AM   #201
dgarber12771
Founding Member

Default Re: Manifesto Part Duex: Gabe Prophesies The End Of Sportbikes

I agree with what you are trying to convey relative to 'real' motorcyclists. But, a motorcycle is like anything else - buy whatever floats your boat. Just because a 'standard' is better suited for 'real' motorcyclists (by your estimation) doesn't mean the guy/gal who bought the GSXR-1000 or the Harley FXDWG isn't happy with their purchase or their intended use of that purchase. By your standards, my 01 1200 Sportster isn't a motorcyclist bike, but I average 10k a year on it and find it quite comfortable and practical for the riding I do.

And I couldn't care less what the Euro's do with their bikes. I didn't buy my bike to be like the Euro's and I don't care to be labeled a 'real motorcyclist'. I bought my bike for me and no one else, and I don't care what catagory that puts me in.

Sport bikes will never go away. Nor will the Crusier. Not everyone who buys a bike wants or needs to be a 'real' motorcyclist. Lots of folks buy bikes to have a little fun now and then - more power to them!
dgarber12771 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2005, 04:12 AM   #202
alpies
Registered Member

Default Re: Elitists Crap

Gabe, be thankful for the non-motorcyclists who buy motorcycles. They help support your lifestyle.
alpies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:24 AM   #203
wiltona
Founding Member

I've been a rider for two years and am the owner of a 2002 Kawi ZR7-S. While I am selling it (due to personal finances) with only 2,000 miles on the clock, when I return to the world of motorcycling, I'll be looking for another one or a very similar bike. It's just plain more fun to ride when you're comfortable. It also feels safer because, in the event that I need to make quick moves on the bike, I'm not trying to shift from one contorted riding position to another one. Hopefully now with a few more offerings for standards, they'll begin to catch on.
wiltona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:09 AM   #204
loki0629
Registered Member

Gabe, nice article! My bike isn't the latest or greatest but it functions almost flawlessly as a commuter. It's a 1985 Honda CB700SC NightHawk. Despite her age she has more than enough power on the highways and she's damn comfortable to boot! The reason I say "almost" is because one day she stalled out on me at a red light on the way to work in Philadelphia. It wasn't a lack of fuel. I think the fact that I was riding through a tropical depression and the bike and I were completely soaked may have had something to do with it. Never happened again though and I've ridden through many rainstorms on her since then. I don't worry about keeping up with other bikers because usually I'm the only bike on the road during the work week. When I do see other bikes it is usually in the weekends when it's nice. I hardly ride during the weekends because I have a family to haul around.
loki0629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:30 AM   #205
Tumper72
Registered Member

This guy is spot on...I can tell you that what he described is exactly right for me, and the way I like to ride. I like the full on performance of a sport bike, but how often do I really need to be in the fetal position when riding? I guess that's why I have a speed triple.
Tumper72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:21 AM   #206
themess
Founding Member

YES!

I'm getting back in, after a crash 8 years ago. Almost none of the new bikes interest me, since going to work and buying groceries on one is more important than the twisties and as important as my 800 mile days. So I'm searching Ebay for standards with driveshafts, and most were made 20 years ago. Honda Nighthhawk 650/700s, Honda Sabre 700, Yamaha Visions and Seca 750s, and Suzuki GS650G, GS850G, and the VX800. All meant for everyday use. I'll immediately have a Plexifairing III, luggage rach and throttle lock on it.

I'd love to see a wee-Strom with shaft drive, 2" lower seat and a broader one, and better wind protection. If they'd ever make one. Sophisticated suspension, yes. 100 HP, no thanks. I'd like to get 60 mpg on the highway, and have no use for power that could make me do an accidental wheelie.

Tom

Tom

themess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:56 AM   #207
Ole1
Founding Member

Love the continued "i wanna couch bike" bend on Gabe's writing and all the "beemer" rider replies ....

My speed triple is a blast, 15K miles a year, commuting

and 300-500 mile day trips (HAULIN' in da TWISTIES).

BUT, it is much harder work spanking my sportbike friends when I'm on the SP3 .... True sportbike geometry makes it MUCH EASIER to haul A$$ in the twisties .... the difference between how hard it is to go FAST on the SP3 vs a 999 is HUGE .... I'm buyin' a Zeek6R or an R1 (for weekends and trackdays) ... keeping the Sp3 for day2day

.... just another 'pinion ...

Riding = fun = fast

Old 08-10-2005, 09:39 AM   #208
jeffs
Founding Member

Default Re: Go to the Gym

This isn't going to happen, and for a very good reason.

Adjustable adds weight and cost. It won't make it on the sportbike because of the weight, and won't make it on the "cheaper sportbike" because of price.

IMO, the v-stroms are close. If they'd offer models with the right engine/suspension they'd be there. The catch is, that they have to do it without adding the mandatory markup anything semi-touring seems to bring with it. I guess the companies assume the older target audience can afford it.

jeffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:35 PM   #209
Airfiddler
Founding Member

Try a Sargent or Corbin seat and Genmar or Helibar risers
Airfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 07:26 PM   #210
Airfiddler
Founding Member

I owned a GS 850 shafty eons ago. I currently have a VTEC VFR. take my word for it. The VFR with bar risers is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the old GS. The new bikes are easier to ride, and far superior in the handling and baraking departments. Shaft drive, smaft drive, the current chains and hitech chain lubes don't even compare to pre o-ring chain days. The GS was a great bike in it's day.

I went across Canada Coast to Coast, down to California, Nevada and a million other places. Rock solid reliable. But I would not go

back. Time marches on. Do yourself a favour and take a new machine for a test ride and let the seat of your pants give you the feedback.
Airfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote