Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Manifesto Part Duex: Gabe Prophesies The End Of Sportbikes (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/2958-manifesto-part-duex-gabe-prophesies-end-sportbikes.html)

gforces 08-06-2005 07:14 PM

Re: Manifesto Part Duex: Gabe Prophesies The End Of Sportbikes

Honda Hawk GT--with upgraded suspension and tuned motor--you won't be disappointed.

Tampadoc 08-07-2005 07:43 AM

Gabe - If a 600-1000cc Standard is the ideal bike to be ridden, why is it that Gold Wing riders are one of the few groups racking up 10-20K miles (or more) a year, and routinely have 40-50K on the odometer after a few years?

tampadoc

Outlander 08-07-2005 04:26 PM

I guess I don't see anything in the article that's news. I suspect most motorcycle buyers in the US place a lot of of emphasis on image over substance. Giving the customer what they want is the American way, even if he isn't right.

Look at your own articles about the V-Rod with comments to the effect of it being impossible not to attract attention with one, while having been the worst bike I've ever owned, and you can see how it's tough for a buyer to cut through the noise. I do, however, give MO credit for doing both street and comparison evalutations on sportbikes.

I've had the 919 and FZ-1. MO should take another look at the 919 now that the front suspension is adjustable. I much prefered it to the FZ's turbulent ride and can't think of much not to like about it.

I've had cruisers, standards, and sportbikes. My current bike suits all my needs and has me completely satisfied with the level of technology in a non-sportbike platform. I think Sean did a good job of cutting through the crap in a comparison a year or so ago when he said you want the FJR1300, the one with ABS.

Gabe 08-07-2005 07:31 PM

Been there, done that...

Great bike. My wife and I had one for six years and loved every minute of it. Revalved suspension, tuned motor (52 hp). She really liked it and will probably never like a bike as much.

A nice bike, for sure, but not the ultimate bike for me!

yo-me-mo 08-07-2005 08:08 PM

Look there are some sportbikes that do really good street duty. So your premise is amiss. What we need to do is build more race tracks for younger kids and older kids alike to use those rr bikes to the limits of the riders abilities. For the rider to match the capabilities of the rr machines it must be done on the race track. What we need as street riders are bikes with real world options like cruise control. Try not to spend 14,000 dollars and get cruise control. You can't do it.

Speed is just another marketing gimic to takeadvantage of the dumb ass

american bikers who demand nothing but the lust of speed.

Which can't be realized on the street.

As bikers we need to be more demanding of the product offered.

Gabe 08-08-2005 06:33 PM

What I mean by

Performance means much more than just tire-melting horsepower. In fact, a Honda RS125 is the most high-performance motorcycle I can think of that's obtainable by a regular Joe, and it puts just 42 HP to the ground.

Your DL650 is certainly adequate, with a good rider aboard, to keep up with anybody sane riding on just about any twisty road. I've written about that phenomena. But it still lacks the sophisticated chassis, suspension and brakes an R6 or GSXR1000 have. It's the same with the 599, FZ6 and SV650.

Shoot, Sean could keep up with your friend on the Blackbird if he were riding a 250 Ninja. My point is if more US riders demanded high-performance standards, the manufacturers would build them, and we might even ride them.

It's ironic: a guy who puts 1200 miles a year on his GSXR600 needs that cartridge suspension and radial four-piston caliper brakes less than you do, and you're stuck with damper rod forks and wooden-feeling, sliding-pin caliper brakes straight from 1987. And wouldn't you have paid an extra $750 to get the beter equipment?

We just need more choice, is all. I know not all of us need or want 150HP, but some of us like having the extra power and handling, but without the hard seats and spine-tweaking handlebar position. Now that's fun!

Gabe 08-08-2005 06:36 PM

That's a different thing...

These are folks who buy the bike purposely to put huge numbers of miles on them, during extended trips and tours. Hence the term "touring bike".

If I knew that most of my riding would be doing 600-mile days on the interstate, I would buy a Goldwing too!

But I'll stand by my assertion: performance standards are ideal motorcycles that lend themselves best to daily riding. I'll bet even diehard 'Wingers would back me up on that one. Most of them own smaller bikes as well.

lunarush 08-09-2005 06:26 AM

I agree that standards are a great way to ride for most purposes. I'm not sure that these bikes need to be as powerful as sportbikes though. What's the point?

I have a Honda 919, definitely tuned down from the Fireblade but so what. I can't push it to its limits on the street anyway. Before the 919 I hade a Blackbird and couldn't use nearly all of that either. Full sportbike power on a standard seems like another "image" thing rather than real need or usefulness.

JPL

amwallet1 08-09-2005 10:24 PM

You hit the nail on the head. The 1996 zR7 was torture. The 1998 Superhawk was too soft. The 2002 R1 is too much for the canyons where I ride.

I searched for the standard that got it right. I just bought an '05 Monster s4r. Wow. I go faster, have more fun and it's comforable.

You are right, we need to demand the manufacturers to put the R&D dollars into making great streetbikes. The Monster s4r works great.

Now my very clean, low mileage R1 is in cycletrader. It proves your point.

I am noticing more riders getting rid of their sportbikes because there are better choices available. But we have a long way to go.

The manufacturers could assure sales of standards and nakeds if they created a race

series and developed them like the sportbikes.

Anyone want a clean R1 to turn into a naked?

draffety 08-10-2005 03:00 AM

Re: Right on... Please provide more examples of possible contenders...

Yamaha YZF600R - It can do it all - and has a fully adjustable suspension. Best streetbike out there. You can probably get it "out the door" for about $6200.