Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-03-2005, 02:12 PM   #171
ROWDYBOY
Founding Member

Default Re: The reason standards can't win

I too ride a K75- S model. It's heavy by sportbike standards, but for everyday, trouble free riding I'll take it over just about anything else I've ridden. Great ride position, nice ergonomic touches (like left and right turn signal controls, gear indicator),bags for carrying any day's needs, good maneuverability, more than enough speed to get you there and only routine maintenance that you can easily do yourself- change the plugs and oil. occassional fluid changes, grease the shaft splines and just keep going and going, no wonder 100k plus examples are still on the road. There are still a lot of used K bikes with low miles available at bargain prices.
ROWDYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2005, 07:01 PM   #172
rossbiker
Founding Member

Default Re: Right on... Please provide more examples of possible contenders...

Okay, I've got the CB750 and I put 800 miles a month on it commuting in LA. At this point, I truly and deeply realize the stock suspension sucks, but I thought my options were limited to progressive springs and shocks.

If you're up for it, I'd love to get a little more info on that front suspension upgrade.

On the F2/F3 forks, keeping my triple clamps makes me wonder about axle spacing (can I use the F3 wheel/front brakes too?) and how all of that is likely to work out. Or should I just stop being a ***** and buy the damned parts?

Thanks,

Ross
rossbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:15 PM   #173
georgios1
Founding Member

Default Re: Manifesto Part Duex: Gabe Prophesies The End Of Sportbikes

Gabe got the scent of moto-change just right. Our country is not made up of all twisty canyon/mountain/hollows roads. Lot of straight,flat roads and slow traffic in the USofA.

BMW are sweet but I prefer my Moto Guzzi Jackal. It can deliver the real ***** day after day and looks totally classic. Gabe why you diss my bike so bad?
georgios1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:46 AM   #174
Isotech
Founding Member

Default Re: Right on... Please provide more examples of possible contenders...

-= Kawasaki ZRX1200R =-

Everytime I think about getting a new bike, I realize that my Z-Rex does it better. For me it's the perfect compromise bike. Will easily keep up with, or surpass anything on the road in the right hands, and will do it comfortably.

The motor is silky smooth.

Fully adjustable front and rear suspension... comfy, an honest 115 hp, 80ft/torque.. 130hp with a full akrapovic.

Just did a 1400 miles in 48 hours a couple of weekends ago. with a corbin seat, and 1" bar risers.

By comparision I rented a harley electra glide last weekend for the honeymoon, and it killed by back after 500 miles.

-Nathan

Isotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:58 AM   #175
Mashuri
Founding Member

Default I'm going back to hard-edged sport bikes

I thought like you did Gabe. I've been riding for 19 years and, from 1995 to 2003, had exclusively ridden sport bikes. I'd use them for weekend warrior and track day duty but, of course, found them way too uncomfortable for longer trips. In '03 I got myself a VFR800, put on bar risers, a taller windscreen, hard bags, etc, and thought I would rack up the miles. It didn't happen. I still own the Viffer today and have averaged 2,500 miles per year. The simple fact of the matter is that I much prefer my air conditioned BMW with far greater trunk space for long trips than any motorcycle. I also find that a convertible gives me much more of an open-air feeling than a full-faced helmet does. Yes, sport-touring is fun but -- I always find myself wanting something more. When I'm droning in a straight line I wish I was in my Bimmer. When I'm running through twisties I long for the light, tight and precise chassis and tremendous power of my R1. When I'm cruising through breathtaking scenery in perfect weather I miss the more open feeling of my convertible. I've come to an epiphany about standards and sport-tourers: Compromise. I bought the VFR because it does everything. Unfortunately, what I discovered is that means it does nothing exceptionally well. Bikes are not a practical thing for me. I can afford the gas for my car and it can get me where I'm going in a lot more comfort while still providing me a good driving experience. I do commute to work at times and, with lane splitting, it gets me there faster but, since my commute is about 20 miles round-trip, a small sport bike is actually better for this purpose. I ride for purely emotional reasons. A bike has to stir my soul for me to really enjoy it. The one thing that has made me hold on to the VFR for this long is the beautiful V4 sound that emanates from its uncorked Staintunes. It's music to my ears. Alas, the Viffer is going on the block in a month or so. I likely will get a 150+ HP crotch rocket (maybe a little less if I get a twin) and use it to renew my soul on weekends. An FJR1300 would be great for my passenger girlfriend and still provide me plenty of power but then I'm thinking on a practical level again. It would have to be a second bike, parked next to the one that really lights my fire.
Mashuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:00 PM   #176
KLRer
Founding Member

What you says is true too, but it don't tell the whole story. Its a fact that sportbikes are just about the quickest thing on wheels that you can buy out of a store. Try doing a 1/4 mile in 10 something seconds on four wheels. Aint gonna happen in anything street legal. Soooooooo, be honest here--does the thought of owning one of the fastest things on wheels appeal to you? sure it does. Except the first time you test its full capabilities might be your last. But thats a different question.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:34 PM   #177
christian_gates
Founding Member

Maddox is flat out awesome. He rivals Seanbaby for Internet genius.
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 02:11 PM   #178
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: Look:

Yes! Yes! More Tuono R's.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:51 PM   #179
Cherii
Founding Member

Default Hayabusa sport-tourer, anyone?

Ever since Suzuki came out with the Hayabusa in '99 I've wondered when the sport-tourer would come out. A real handlebar, lower pegs and some luggage, perhaps a bit more fuel, and then you'd have the perfect sport tourer. You'd need the fairing to higher to cover the additional windblast, of course. But it'd kill the FJR1300 and ST1300 in motor performance. I guess after Kawasaki's ZZR1200 flop, it just ain't gonna happen, though.

But my last two bikes were a VFR (pseudo-upright sportbike) and then a V-Strom, now an ST1300... so I'm with ya on the upright position.
Cherii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:16 PM   #180
dean_1
Founding Member

I quit worrying about what other people ride years ago. I don't care about brand, color or national origin. I don't care what they earn, how they make a living or what they believe. I don't care if they have an ugly wife/husband, if their passenger is required to wear a "Wide Load" sign by the NHTSA or if the bike is old or new. I'm older now, mellow and generally have a great love for my fellow man as we explore this great mystery of life.

But you guys with hyphonated last names really ***** me off.
dean_1 is offline   Reply With Quote