Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-02-2005, 11:54 PM   #161
EvoVII
Founding Member

Default Re: ZX-9R vs 00-02 6R vs VFR. Roads in NW

Yeah, kpaul, that's what I'm talking about. Too bad all the new sport bikes have to be so radically racy. Just one new model built with the same philosophy as the older ZXR's--keep the motor, chassis, suspension, and brakes cutting edge, but with more comfortable ergos and wind protection--would be welcome. Still wouldn't be as cheap as a good used ZXR though.

It will be my pleasure to cruise the WA roads you recommend. They will have to be pretty fine to beat the heavenly Dragon, but as long as they aren't straight like these damn IA roads, I'll be in bliss--if I can dodge the laser. Thanks for the tip.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-03-2005, 03:43 AM   #162
sconley
Founding Member

Default Re: Right on... Please provide more examples of possible contenders...

I've actually considered it strongly at times... I just wish it didn't sound like an airplane! Very cool bike though, probably will have one some day.
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 04:03 AM   #163
dsm
Founding Member

Default Re: Sorry, dead horse, but...WHACK!

I think you're right that many motorcyclists view their bikes as recreational vehicles. You wouldn't take a motor home to work, would you? Does that make them silly, frivolous toy buyers? I don't think so but even if you do, so what?

Like the previous reply I also own multiple bikes. I'm pretty sure I can't ride them all to work on the same day. The very idea that how many bikes are ridden to work as a ratio to total registrations is an utterly meaningless statistic.

And to finish my own particular rant on this subject...

--- Not everything in life has to be practical. When offered a choice between a supermodel who can't cook and a 500 lb one toothed troll who's a culinary genious I'm heading for MickeyD's every time.

It's ok to have toys. If all I wanted was practical I'd sell everything I have now and get a KLR650 (great bike, btw) and be done with it.
dsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:13 AM   #164
rip_4
Registered Member

Default Re: Manifesto Part Duex: Gabe Prophesies The End Of Sportbikes

I agree with Gabe mostly. But I think there is a place for Cruisers & Sportbikes. I just took a trip 2400 miles on a 2002 FZ1 and it was good. I had a cruiser but it gave me back woes. I am 72 and I don't find the FZ1 to be "dummed down" it is plenty responsive in all functions. I do have a windshield that is 8 " taller and a bit wider than the standard one. I had a Honda Nighthawk (750) that was a good bike. Standards are for me.
rip_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 05:46 AM   #165
red916
Founding Member

I agree mostly as well. I've got a 2004 ST1300 with 15k miles on it - I bought in April on 2004; I've got a 2002 RC51 with 25k miles on that - puchased in August of 2002; I have a 1988 NT650 with about 90k miles - purchased in 1990; and I have a 2005 CRF250X that I bought in February. All bases are covered.
red916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:17 AM   #166
Gabe
Registered Member

Default FZ-1 v. R1

Read our story here: http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcyam/0...Z1/index.motml

And then find a friend with an R1 and ride the two bikes back-to-back. You'll see what I'm talking about.

The FZ-1 is one of my favorite bikes. It would be better if it was 50 pounds lighter and had 30 more horsies! I think you'd agree.

Thanks for reading MO!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:19 AM   #167
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Don't ***** me off!

You're either with me or against me! Viva La Revolucion!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:47 AM   #168
oldtim
Founding Member

Good Article. I love sportbikes but can't really ride well enough to justify one, not to mention the riding position kills me. I also will defend the low seats on crusiers for those of us with short legs (my inseam is 28.5") Naked standards are great (I have one) but I would like more wind protection. Many appealing bikes like the Speed Tripple with its 31/32 inch seat hight make you look like a little kid on his big brother's bicycle at the stop lights. My perfect bike; a frame design similar to a Road King but lighter and stiffer with decent suspension and an inline 4 around 100HP/75ft.lb.
oldtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:40 AM   #169
P-Ratt
Premium Member

Default Re: Look:

quote: I was referring to hardcore sportbikes, not practical, all-arounders like the CBR1000 or the VFR, or the ZZR1200. Those things are good. Yeah!

Good, but why can't we get a hardcore all-arounder? A 400 pound 150 hp VFR for example. Why don't the ZX's, GSXR's, and YZF's come in 'R' and 'street' riding positions? No changes to the looks, technology, or performance. Just change the seating positions.
FZ1
P-Ratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:11 PM   #170
Ian_Leadley
Registered Member

I wouldn't say the end is near. Younger folks will often go for the total performance regardless of the overall comfort etc. Plus, the Busa and Bandit type bikes can be quite comfortable. I have the R1150R and believe that the universal bike is the only way to go. I travel 15 to 20 thousand miles a year in a short season in Nova Scotia. I've taken the R to Florida and Ontario quite often. The universals are forgiving on the back etc and handle much better than the cruisers in tight situations involving cornering and braking. My wife likes the back of the R much better than the cruisers I've had.
Ian_Leadley is offline   Reply With Quote