Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #151
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Too many choices

Man you guys sure have to make a lot of mods to those Harleys to them get up to Metric cruiser standards.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2005, 01:04 PM   #152
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Old 08-02-2005, 01:10 PM   #153
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Just get in the gym and maybe your Glide won't be so damn hard to stop.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 01:41 PM   #154
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: Who are you calling...

2 VFR's. That's about right, Houston, like most of my beloved Texas, is overrun with choppers and other cruisers. Ack.

As for Gabe's article: I hope the moto manufacturers will start listening. Americans don't like to buy dumbed-down low tech sporty bikes. I'd love, and pay the price for, a ZX10 standard. As is, I have a Pearl Blazing Orange Z1000, horrible seat and all.

There is no reason why we can't have a beautiful, high tech bike that is comfy. It only requires that the manufacturers understand that comfy does not equal fat blob, it just means nice seat, happy seating position and optional luggage. NO OTHER CHANGES.

One last thing, I hope that Che Gabevera doesn't start going around shooting and imprisoning people like that slime Gueverra did.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 02:57 PM   #155
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default ZX-9R vs 00-02 6R vs VFR. Roads in NW

"Point is, I rode to TN on a tourer, rode the Dragon on a sport bike, and everywhere else on a semi standard position bike for not too much money. "

Yep my 01 6R is your 9s little brother with similar ergos, I feel the same way about it vs a VFR MO felt the same way

"I'm, leaving next week (from Iowa) for the Pacific NW. Don't want the bike to rust out just sitting around. "

Have fun here watch out for the WA State Troopers they use laser and moving radar here...Try the North Cascade WA State highway 20 between Rockport and Winthrop. Also there are some great roads on the East and NW side of Mt St. Helens.(504 and 25).. I am curious how they compare with the Dragon... Probably not as twisty but much longer....my hunch...

Enjoy

kpaul

Seattle..
Old 08-02-2005, 03:42 PM   #156
JACIII
Founding Member

Default Re: Manifesto Part Duex: Standards suck

Left the Sport Touring guys out, eh? Figures - we're the one's putin' all the miles on bikes.

And gimme plastic ya' poof! Who wants to ride 90mph all day while maintaning a deathgrip on the bars just to keep from being blown off? Or some folks might even want the wind protection to ride in (gasp!) cooler weather.

Standards are slow, a pain in the neck, almost as ugly as cruisers, and impractical for anything but around town. Did I mention boring?

Yer gettin' old, as am I, but don't take it out on the rest of us. Buck up, buy a 'busa and put risers, givi's, a laminar lip, and a throttlemeister on it and shutup and ride. Damn!
JACIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:47 PM   #157
JACIII
Founding Member

Suspension on a Road King? Whats the point? Sit on a pillow fer chrissakes.

The brakes suck? The suspension sucks? What dd you pay for this thing??
JACIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:24 PM   #158
dogcatfud
Founding Member

Default Re: Manifesto Part Duex: Gabe Prophesies The End Of Sportbikes

Like Limedust, I also ride a 1991 Nighthawk and average 50 mpg in mixed riding. I tip the scale at 210 and my gear and backpack add an additional 15 to 20 pounds.

I would perform all the maintenance he suggested and also check/replace the air filter. If you don't want to pay $30 for the OEM Honda filter, you can find comparable replacements from Internet vendors for $10 to $15.

And you might also want to check the front brakes for excessive drag. I had this problem and corrected it by rebuilding the caliper and master cylinder.
dogcatfud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:18 PM   #159
DrT
Founding Member

Default Re: Right on... Please provide more examples of possible contenders...

I think you want a BMW R1150R. Does absolutely everything.
DrT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:30 PM   #160
Emzedder
Founding Member

Default Re: Manifesto Part Duex: Gabe Prophesies The End Of Sportbikes

Interesting article. However, I think it paints too rosy a picture of things in Europe, or in the UK at least. Here biking is largely going the same way as the States, becoming an expensive leisure passtime rather than a form of transport for most. Also, mainly due to the bike media, litre sportsbikes are the "must have" for most modern bikers and anything practical or at least not capable of being competitive on a race track is considered "boring" and only suitable for old duffers.

The only time you tend to see bikes in any number is on sunny Sundays, being ridden in packs to the local bike meeting place, their race cans scaring the crap out of unsuspecting cage drivers.

However, it is true to say that there has been an increase in people using two wheels for commuting in the more congested cities of the UK due to ease of parking and the ability to carve through traffic (lane splitting is legal in the UK - even though cage drivers don't like it), particularly around London, and scooters have become vastly more popular in those areas.

I think the thing that may kill off sportbikes in the UK is the increasing performance of the bikes versus the increasing use of speed cameras and an increasing intolerance of sportsbike riders by the general pubilc, leading to calls for more speed enforcement. This could push people away from sportsbikes simply because they are too scared of losing their driving licence. I think this explains the recent surge in popularity of supermoto styled bikes.
Emzedder is offline   Reply With Quote