Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-02-2005, 07:49 AM   #141
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Default Re: Manifesto Part Duex: Gabe Prophesies The End Of Sportbikes

cool now we are talking thanks
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-02-2005, 07:54 AM   #142
jjasper
Founding Member

I think it is the fact that every BMW is designed for rider comfort over ultimate sport prowess. I ride their BMW F650CS which is their smallest and cheapest bike. Even that came with heated grips, a super comfy seat, accessory socket, ABS brakes, and comfy ergos with decent wind protection. They even put the gas tabk under the seat so it feels more like riding on a hopped-up scooter with the low center of gravity. There are many people on the list I read with over 100K on their '03 F bikes! BMW riders though tend to be over 30 with more probably in the 40+ range. Most have a decent amount of riding experience, most buy the bigger bikes for touring. The cost also scares away most the teens and 20 somethings because they can get a lot more bang for the buck in a Japanese bike.

I had an SV-650 as my last bike and while the SV will spank the pants off my F650, the F bike is much more enjoyable as a daily rider. It is more comfy and the low seat and center of gravity make it great in heavy traffic. The F bike also comes standard with a nice little waterproof backpack that snaps in where the gas tank normally is on a bike.
jjasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:56 AM   #143
jjasper
Founding Member

I also want to mention my buying decision came down to a Buell XB12 or the F650CS. Both were comfy to me, I am 5'11", the F650 was far more comfy though. I went with the F650 though because of the creature comforts and the MUCH more tame handling.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:05 AM   #144
jjasper
Founding Member

I don't know about you. But my bike regularly gets 60-70MPG of gas. It also runs on 87 octane. So my bikes runs forever on cheap gas. That saves me a ton on money over the car. Instead of using softer compound tires I switched to sport touring compound tires, they still have more than enough grip for my riding abilities and they last longer. Oil changes on motorcycles are a piece of cake to do yourself.

So for me my bike saves me a ton of money over a car. I also saves me a ton of time and wear and tear because here in LA I can lane split through traffic.

Only time the bike sucks and when the wife and I head to the beach. Beach chairs, coolers, volleyball, etc are not small bike friendly.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:36 AM   #145
jjasper
Founding Member

Default Re: Oh Gabe... your bike is here.

This bike looks great except for one thing, seat height. I have a 30in inseam and I was tip toeing on the cityX, the Ulysses has an even higher seat than that. I wouldn't even be able to touch the ground unless I was hanging off one side with the other leg wrapped over the seat, not fun to do at every stop.

I ran into the same problem with most BMWs I looked at. They are huge. The Buell XB12 has a nice low seat and the bike I bought, a BMW F650CS has a great low seat.

I want a supermoto bike bad, but the seat height issue is a problem for me there too.

I personally hate cruisers but I am worried eventually I will be stuck riding one if manufacturers don't start making more small standards.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:54 AM   #146
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Too many choices

Go to www.progressivesuspension.com for the rear shock upgrade on your Road King. The stock air suspension has pitiful rebound damping which is why it wallows so much in faster corners.

I'll be changing to the 440 series shocks soon. I'm also putting braided lines on the front brakes and different pads for more bite.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 09:07 AM   #147
V2Rider
Premium Member

No worries. I know the crowd you're talking about. I will have to agree with you in the sense that cruisers and sportbikes probably have more posers riding them than other types of bikes percentage wise. Wonder if I'll get flamed for that one?
Old 08-02-2005, 10:43 AM   #148
pudlepirate
Registered Member

Default Re: Right on... Please provide more examples of possible contenders...

speed triple: adjustable suspension, torque and scream all in one, the new one is 10k flat, last year's are eight (should you find a leftover) and if you can warm up to a buell the styling should not be a problem.

aural quality may not be on par with a bevel drive 750 duc but it's still pretty cool.
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 11:10 AM   #149
pudlepirate
Registered Member

Default Re: But I want more power!

I have a friend who is a vintage motorcyle mechanic, he dables in british and italian with the occasianal beemer thrown in, he loves em, but after a ride on my 04 speed triple he came back to proclaim "what an engine!"

sure a superbike is exessive, but there is nothing a sport standard owner revels in more than embarasing said superbike while sitting upright enough so they can see the grin on your face, ref: "It aint the tool part one" and thats just a little tougher when you only got 75 hp.

perhaps the first wave of Gabe's revolution is to humiliate every poser out there with a fleet of naked standards, in the canyon, on the street, even @ the strip.
pudlepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 11:12 AM   #150
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Too many choices

Lyndall Racing Brakes Z pads are the ones. Just changed mine. You'll like em.