Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-01-2005, 07:08 PM   #121
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Manifesto Part Duex: Gabe Prophesies The End Of Sportbikes

As others have said, It seems to me that a convertable sportbike with ergos that are adjustable within a reasonably far and usable range might find a niche. All this stuff is pretty much availble in the aftermarket; it shouldn't be too hard for the manufacturers to do it.

Then again, it might not be percieved as hardcore enough by the squids and too sporty for the boomer generation.

Still, it would be nice if some manufacturer tried.

Gabe, by the way, I saw a very nice conversion of a formerly pranged ZX-10R into a naked bike. It acutually looked like it came from the factory that way. Z-1000 flyscreen, lowered pegs, superbike bar kit and no fairings. Very clean job, although I would miss the wind protection--and yes it's way overkill for the street. But it could be your ideal ride.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2005, 07:11 PM   #122
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Ah, crap. I meant...

"Then again, it might be percieved as not hardcore enough by the squids and too sporty for the boomer generation.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:20 PM   #123
KLRer
Founding Member

Sportbikes too tiny for many. If you're more than 5-10 chances are you'll envelope that little sportbike like a giant squid wrapped around a small torpedo. Like an adult wrapped around some little kids minibike except pointed headfirst down the road at up to 180 mph.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:52 PM   #124
pattonme
Founding Member

Default Re: Right on... Please provide more examples of possible contenders...

doesn't make any difference AFAIK. 03+ motors blow up though. I personally prefer the gen1 looks. Maybe for gen3 Suzi will put something resembling a decent suspension on the bike.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:55 PM   #125
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Re: Elitists Crap

A common (and cheap) trick editorial writers employ is to say something controversial and shocking in the opening of a story and then back it up with a much softer, more reasoned message. I'm sorry if my opening offended you, but please finish reading the piece (which is, I realize, pretty lengthy) before you decide that my aim was to put people down for what they ride.

I'm actually not too old to ride sportbikes, I just prefer to ride something else. Yesterday, I rode 99 miles to Streets of Willow on a ZZR-600, rode four sessions on the racetrack in 100 degree weather, and then rode back south via Angeles Forest and Angeles Crest on the CBR600F4i. I passed a lot of Harley guys and waved at every single one. Some of them even waved back.

Who cares if you have the latest, greatest crotch rocket or most exquisitely hand-crafted custom cruiser? If you can't (or won't) ride it,

it's just a big, expensive, silly indulgence that isn't a lifestyle choice, just a consumer choice. You're not a motorcyclist.

My mom's not a motorcyclist, and I love her dearly. The same with most of my friends and relations. I'm not putting them down. I'm certainly not putting you down. If anybody feels personally offended by my remarks, I am sorry. But if I offend you, I suggest you might offend a bit easily. I don't even know you!

All I hope to do is give you something to think about and discuss, a new perspective from a moto-journalist aside from "the new whatever is 3 pounds lighter and 1/8th second faster in the quarter mile and has 12% more chrome."

Hey, you do pay for this thing, and we appreciate it, so we try to reward you with as much informative, controversial and entertaining content as we can. We're glad you're reading MO and even happier you responded on this page! Thanks again.

Gabe

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:25 AM   #126
rmorris
Registered Member

Thank you, Gabe, for the courage to tell me I have no clothes.

-The Emporer
rmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:26 AM   #127
steven_1
Founding Member

I think Moto Guzzi makes that bike , the 750 Breva. Ok its not a 500 but it makes around 50 hp and they have a low seat for it.
steven_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:42 AM   #128
maladg
Registered Member

Default Re: He's Right, You Know...

I joined up with B. Jan and his motley crew in Fall of '03.

What a hoot!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 04:00 AM   #129
Iman01
Founding Member

Default Re: Sorry, dead horse, but...WHACK!

7 million bikes, 700,000 get ridden to work... hmm, I have 4 bikes, I can't ride them all to work, or can I?

There are lots of factors, roll it over I am sure you can come up with more than a dozen too, that contribute to your ratio, reasoning that it could only be because Americans don't ride is quite foolish.
Iman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 04:22 AM   #130
jimmihaffa
Founding Member

From the annals of the Journal of the American Motorcycle Journalism Society comes this beacon of moto reporting. Please oh please hurry up and get you guys and especially Gabe some 2006 model year bikes to ride to spare us from more of this type of moto dribble.
jimmihaffa is offline   Reply With Quote