Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-01-2005, 11:54 AM   #91
Mooner
Founding Member

Default Re: Manifesto Part Duex: Gabe Prophesies The End Of Sportbikes

Okay, then maybe that explains it. My last car was an '01 Bonneville SSEI. Not a Buick but....I do kind of miss that car. Pretty fast boat.
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2005, 11:57 AM   #92
bladehandler
Registered Member

Gabe- BRILLIANT!

I've been making your same argument for years. I especially value the "costume-party" analogy which seems especially true of our HD-piloting brethren.

Last week I spent two solid days (for the first time ever) at Mid-Ohio racetrack taking Keith Code's two-day camp. I absolutely loved the experience but there was also a price to be paid; Upon me came the realization (along with a feeling of dread) that I would never again fully enjoy riding on the street. I also decided that I would never get another sportbike unless it were to be a dedicated track machine- why buy a high powered hunting rifle to shoot sparrows on the neighbor's lawn?

I will stick with my FJR1300 (which I believe is a bike that fulfills most of the requirements of a functional machine you've outlined), and then set about CHANGING MY LIFESTYLE to include track days as part of my world. Then the sportbike will reappear in my garage (filled from day one with water where the coolant should be). There's just no reason to do otherwise.
bladehandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 11:59 AM   #93
Gabe
Registered Member

Default I think you misread me a bit.

Which is my fault, not yours. I should strive to be more clear. I poked fun at sportbike and cruiser riders in made-in-Pakistan "costumes" because inexpensive leathers do little more than portray an image: they offer minimal practicality, which is OK if you just pose.

However, wearing leather on the street is a very good idea, as it's the best protection from the elements and roadrash. I thnk nylon riding gear like the Aerostich is a better choice on the street

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:02 PM   #94
crevans
Founding Member

Default Re: Scooters

The big scoots are much different to ride than regular scooters. More like motorcycle-scooter hybrids. I've had regular bikes and ridden regular scoots and like big scoots best.

For one, the engine is mounted in the frame like a motorcycle and the brakes work very well. For two, it's tour worthy - I did a 5500 mile trip to the southwest and back this summer, camping most of the time. The silverwing is unstressed at 80mph on the highway (other than the smaller wheels being a little rougher on bad pavement) and still has plenty of passing power. Even fully laden it made it to 108 mph on an anonymous, straight as an arrow, empty two lane road in the middle of the desert. For three, they handle alot more like a motorcycle but with the ultra low center of gravity of a scoot.

It does take some getting used to - the rear brake is where a clutch should be, and I garuntee at least once you'll lock the rear brake on instinct when you first ride one. Additionally, since there's no tank between your legs, you can't steer with your knees (though you *can* steer well with your hips and to some degree your feet).

My only complaints with the silverwing specifically is that the front fork is way way too soft, but aftermarket progressive springs for it are relatively cheap (~$150). Also, all the really cool accessories for it are only available from Honda Europe or Honda Japan - which I guess goes back to Gabe's whole point in the article...

crevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:09 PM   #95
crevans
Founding Member

Default Re: Scooters

Oh and also, I always wave to regular bikes. I usually get a wave back, then a double take when they realize it's a scoot.

Anything with less than 4 wheels that isn't enclosed and requires a license gets a wave from me. Bicyclists may get a polite nod if I'm in a good mood and they're not right in the middle of the lane. (-;
crevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:10 PM   #96
johnnyb
Founding Member

thass CRAP man, a nice light sportybike can b fantastic urban assault vehicle. just because u an Gabe are gettin' old doesn't mean everybody is. 929/954RR Hondas were great street machines too, really quick light steering... RC51 is BOMB if u r bout 5'7" and under 350 pounds... ***** maybe i should get myself a bike again...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:13 PM   #97
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: He's Right, You Know...

How did you know? Now that my hair has started to thin on top the cooling fins are starting to show! VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:37 PM   #98
johnnyb
Founding Member

c'mooOOOON, isn't anybody gonna call me a liberal ******* or anything today? i thrive on abuse. Bring the pain...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 12:38 PM   #99
mile_eater
Founding Member

By the way....

About that picture of Che you put up there...

Commies aren't cool.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:39 PM   #100
ValkBandit
Registered Member

i guess you need to fit the bike. an R6 makes me feel like i'm assuming the "come hither, bubba" posture at folsom state penitentiary. thanx but no thanx. i laks to seez where i beez goin.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote