Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-29-2005, 07:27 PM   #1
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Re: Fred Rau: Tortilla Flats Ride

Look like a nice ride. Will have to remember it if I end up in the southwest again.

BTW 1st!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-29-2005, 07:35 PM   #2
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Nice story Fred... I love the SW, haven't been ther in a while (except Vegas) Looks like a great place to test out the new Buell ...Thanks Sean.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 12:14 AM   #3
JmalB
Premium Member

Jerome to Prescott. Did that route recently. OooOoooh.
JmalB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 03:44 AM   #4
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Fred Rau: Tortilla Flat Ride

Thanks Fred, just gearing up for the morning ride and a good trip story fits the bill.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 05:12 AM   #5
sv1000rider
Founding Member

I do enjoy riding vicariosly. Good story. One suggestion though. It would be nice if a map of some sort with the route traveled were highlighted or something. Oh and maybe a few pics of some hot babes (never hurts to ask right?).
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 05:42 AM   #6
gbrummett
Founding Member

I live only an hour from Tortilla Flats and ride there at least every other weekend.

So here is the view from a local.

Most new riders turn around and / or stop at Tortilla Flats and miss the best part. But the local sport bike riders know all about what I am about to say.

The road between Tortilla Flats and the end of the pavement is pure sport bike heaven. Sure there is sand and gravel here and there and you have to watch for animals and slow vehicles once in awhile and yes the drop offs can be deadly.

But I have never in my life had such a great sporting road so close to my house. Plenty of different types of corners from very slow speed 10 - 15 MPH posted to a few high speed sweepers I always have a great time on my Buell.

This is a road where I have seen great riders on crap bikes really waste new riders on very sporting hardware. Such as the guy I saw on an old GS500 Suzuki who abosultly spanked a guy on a new Kawasaki ZX-636R. There are some corners there that a great rider on a slower bike can use to just spank a newbie.

Early in the mornings you can ususally find a group riding this road, stop at the turn around about 1/4 mile before the end of the pavement and wait there will always be some social riders stop and want to talk shop.

Plus because the pavement ends on that stretch of the road the traffic is usally very light.

But, the funny thing is the cops out here have been very tolerant as long as this is the only part of the road where you really let it rip.

gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 06:33 AM   #7
gbrummett
Founding Member

Almost forgot the directions and other info.

Tortilla Flats is located east of the Phoenix metro area.

Take Hwy 60 east (Hwy 60 is the Superstition Freeway) past Mesa towards Apache Junction. Take the Idaho exit and go north on State Route 88 (I think the signs actually says east but you start out going north). Take a right on SR88 just after Main Street (Apache Trail) and it's 18 miles northeast to Tortilla Flats just past Canyon lake.

See map: http://www.miatadrives.com/miatatrips/az3.jpg

There are some other fun touristy things to do as well. On the way there is a fake yes, that's right fake mining town called Gold Field Gold mine. Still it's a lot of fun and worth a stop. At Canyon lake at the Marina is the Dolly Steam boat. It will take you on a ride back through water filled Canyons that will take your breath away. If you are lucky you can see some of the local wild life.

Yes, and Sean please please bring that new Buell ULYSSES XB12X back here I want to see how it compares to the other bikes in this genre like the BMW R1200 GS :: Kawasaki KLR 650 :: KTM 950 Adventure :: Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 :: and Triumph Tiger.

Let's see which bike is fastest up and down Fish Creek Hill!!

Here's some more links:

History and flash flood info http://www.desertusa.com/magjan98/st...apachej98.html

http://www.tortillaflataz.com/Tours.asp

The pavement ends and the dirt begins http://www.arizonaroads.com/arizona/az88.html

Hope this helps, see you out there!!
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 06:33 AM   #8
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default A couple things....

First, you say only sportbike riders know this route. Then you say you own a Buell. We all know a Buell is not a real sport bike, so how did you find out about this road??
Old 07-30-2005, 06:54 AM   #9
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: A couple things....

....Then you post it on the internet...

Pretty soon you'll have Harleys and Triumphs leaking oil all over the place.

Sounds like a nice ride Fred, I've enjoyed your stories and opinions for years. Between you and that JB hack MO has some potential for some good writing..
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 06:57 AM   #10
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Missing the point....

If you tell everyone how great an area or road is, they'll go there too

That's why we tell everyone the roads are crummy and it rains all the time in Washington
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote