Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-30-2005, 05:58 AM   #11
emxgarcia
Founding Member

Default Re: Fred Rau: Tortilla Flat Ride

Curious how a wonderful road can show up in the most unusal places. Here is my last surprise.

I live in Dominican Republic and am an enthusiastic member of the HOG Dominicano - www.hogdom.com

First I have to explain that Dominican roads on average are NOT good, potholes anywhere, dirt, crazy cage drivers, stray dogs, donkeys and so on, so we have to sitck to main roads or some 'already documented' backroads, otherwise you run the chance to end up in an Enduro.

About a month ago a friend calls me and asks if I am in for a 400+ mile ride ride (which is a lot considering our road conditions) but of course my answer was Yes.

Next thing I know we are heading towards the frontier with Haiti... overall the ride is fine although we are using a backroad almost parallel to a 'so called' main road... in retrospective I think this one was better. Life was good.

But then we arrive at the last 30+ miles that takes us to the very border with Haiti... The road changed from relatively flat to mountains and twisties complete with pine trees and fresh air.

¡This one was glorious! Turn after turn with some short and long stretches every now and then, it was like this road was created on Food Network.. each element of a great recipe masterfuly selected and placed. No traffic, no potholes, no people, no nothing... just pure biker heaven.

My buddy was scrapping the hell out of the H-D Heritage's floorboards (not uncommon) but next thing I know I am scrapping my Deuce's forward controls every other turn... ¡ that is leaning into a twistie!

The bad thing is once you get to the border you have to turn back. Not that the ride back is less interesting, on the contrary you already know some of it, but the fact that there is no destination (read as: no beer at the destination) makes it a bit of an effort to just go there to ride it. Sportbikers would climax in this road. For those that wanna know this stretch is from Loma de Cabrera to Villa Anacaona.

Ride safe!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-30-2005, 06:39 AM   #12
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Re: A couple things....

I was having so much fun it must have been temporary insanity.
gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:16 AM   #13
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default The guy on the GS500

Actually I think that guy on the GS500 told me about it.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:16 AM   #14
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default The guy on the GS500

Actually I think that guy on the GS500 told me about it.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:41 AM   #15
rapier
Founding Member

Let's have some maps with these stories. I didn't even know after reading it what state was being talked about.

rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 01:15 PM   #16
Rebel_1
Registered Member

Excellent article. I hope the travel articles become a regular feature.

Not only is the article worth its weight in gold, the comments from the local's enhance the story with additional insight into the area.
Rebel_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 07:20 PM   #17
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default You mean the truth?

Last time I went through Washington, the roads were crummy, and it did rain the whole trip. I was happy when I made the Canadian border!
Old 07-31-2005, 03:42 AM   #18
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Maps are a good idea...

I agree maps are a good idea!

But... you must have missed "stagecoach stop on the route from Mesa, Arizona" when you read the story if you didn't know what state it's in.
Old 07-31-2005, 05:09 AM   #19
TomSmith
Founding Member

Default Re: Fred Rau: Tortilla Flats Ride

I did it too, but in my car, and from Prescott to Sedona, Jerome (and beyond). Interesting that I saw many Harleys & upright-seating clones, but just ONE sportbike. Looks like sportbikes are the last type you want for actually going anywhere or seeing anything. The most boring road honors might go to Arizona 60 between Quartzite and Wickenburg (on the way from Blythe to Prescott). I was sweating that nothing would go wrong with my car. My wife gave me orders to never travel on AZ 60 again.
TomSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 07:06 AM   #20
HarryMyhre
Founding Member

Y'all oughta include a link to a map on how to get to this cool place!
HarryMyhre is offline   Reply With Quote