Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-24-2005, 02:31 AM   #41
sv1000rider
Founding Member

Default Re: Hyosung Competitiveness

Did the gentleman that owned the Hyosung franchise in K.C. give any indication of demand or how many he has sold? I agree that a "glut" scenario is highly likely. Although I was a just a lad in the 80's when Harley got Reagan to slap a tarrif on large displacement motorcycles, I think I grasp the overall condition of the motorcycle market during that time. Now it will be harder to take such action if a price war occurs. I wonder how it will all play out? I admit, it would be very hard to pass up on a $3999 GSXR1K knockoff! Then I might be able to afford more frequent tickets.
sv1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2005, 04:56 AM   #42
ncelik
Registered Member

Default Re: I meant

Actually, LED's would be perfectly visible in any kind of lighting condition.

And funky too!
ncelik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 05:10 AM   #43
ncelik
Registered Member

Default Re: Hyosung Competitiveness

A couple of weeks ago I was at a Ducati-Triumph-Kawa dealership and the sales guy pointed out the GT650. It is my understanding that the MSRP on it is very flexible (unlike the Ducati's). I'd say you could drop the price close to what you suggest.

As for the Chinese, I say when they come it will be less than $4K for a simillar bike. Just take a look at craigslist in larger markets, it's full of people selling chinese imports, for now smaller bikes and mopeds. The question is if you want it.

The guy who started Subaru in the US and once imported Yugo's, wants to import Chinese Geely cars to the US now. Those are basically 100% knock-offs of Chevy and Toyota models. He lined up a few dealers. One of the first dealers went to China with him and when they came back the dealer promptly canceled the agreement. Word is that quality is, well, how shall we say,...not there? Things like doors not closing etc., should really not be, especially on the model you are showing the first potential dealer in the US. Makes you wonder about the rest of the production.
ncelik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:06 AM   #44
cdfisher
Registered Member

Default Re: Hyosung GT650 vs. Suzuki SV650

There's an even better sticker that was spotted on a Lifan Virago knockoff we once carried...

"DO NOT DRIVE WHILE DRINKING WINE"

I still don't understand why the Asian marketers don't realize that a little grammer goes a long way.
9909 E Hwy 40
Independence MO 64055
(816) 777-1785

MidAmerica Hyosung
9108 E Hwy 40
Independence MO 64055
(816) 554-1766
cdfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 01:07 PM   #45
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

This is the best article I have read on MO in a while. Great work Gabe and Sean.
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 04:09 PM   #46
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: I meant

Well, that speedo seems to be an LED. An LCD (Liquid Crystal Display) is what we've all got (or at least those of us with digital instruments.) Including that horrid LCD tach on the ZX-10/6R

My clock radio isn't visible in every kind of lighting condition and it looks a lot like the speedo on the GT650R. Which brings up an interesting question: Why do LED tailights work so well? I think it has something to do with the configuration. Anyone know?
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 04:28 PM   #47
MyVec
Founding Member

Default Re: Off Topic

Yep, agreed connolly_p. Teething problems tend to happen most of the time. It applies to almost everything. We have a case here in Malaysia, where a 2005 model Merc E200 Kompressor had transmission problems.

To me, the Hyo, being a freshie, may have these problems. But we have to admit that they have done a great job...for a start. Give it another few years, if they're good listeners, expect much better products coming in... which would be great for us... don't you think ?

I would suggest a few things to Hyo, Bro MO.

1. Hyo should carry an international name. "Hyosung" seems too Koreanish to sell globally, now. (it might worked in the 60's, but now...they'll take too much time to catch up). Remember Ssangyong with Rexton(a range from the brand), or the Toyota with Lexus, Honda with Acura.

You see, strong universal marketing strategy. Here in Malaysia, those Hyosungs are called, NAZA Blade 250, 650. (I personally think it sounds better)

2. Iron out those paint, lever vibes, and other easy wins. (I don't think it's too difficult)

3. Excellent dealership and aftersales service.

...Then, they're on their into the BIG PLAYERS arena.

Good Luck HYOSUNG.
MyVec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 05:09 PM   #48
Grum
Registered Member

Default A word from the President

As the self-appointed president of the First Post Club I must point out clause 37, sub-section 2, para. 3 of the Rules & Regulations of the MOFPC which states ..."Any financial member of Motorcycle Online (hereafter refered to as MO) shall be awarded the right to claim a "First Post" if, indeed, they are first to post.

Successful posting of such First Post shall also infer automatic and permanent membership to the First Post Club (est. 2005), and all the benefits and entitlements that are attached thereunto.

Having nothing worthwhile to say is not a requirement per se of First Post membership but is acceptable by virtue of the very media by which the claimant makes his claim"

Old 07-24-2005, 05:19 PM   #49
FrankS1
Founding Member

If the Korean bike is indeed a 90 degree V-twin, why does it vibrate as reported? After all, Honda and Suzuki copied the engine layout from Ducati for more and better reasons than revenge for Superbike defeats. And, like Ducati, they are quite smooth without any counterbalance shaft.

Or does the Korean bike have something other than a single throw crank? (You need that to get the primary and secondary balance in the engine.)
FrankS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 06:35 PM   #50
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Is that Frank Snively?

Nice to hear from you, if so! I don't know why the Hyosung vibrated more than the SV, but I do know it did! Maybe it will smooth out with break-in. The SV was very much smoother.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote