Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   Hyosung GT650 vs. Suzuki SV650 (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/2943-hyosung-gt650-vs-suzuki-sv650.html)

Gabe 07-23-2005 02:10 PM

That's Ridiculous

If there are Korean butchers torturing dogs A(and you cite no sources) it has no relation to Hyosung motors. MAybe we should boycott Harleys, Buells and Polarises because of abominable practices in the US meatpacking industry?

Read "Fast Food Nation" and other tomes for equally guesome and disturbing descriptions of animal torture and abuse in the USA. It's not fair to condemm an entire nation for one specific practice, especially one that might be isolated or even untrue.

Gabe 07-23-2005 02:11 PM

Re: 3 Reasons not to go GT650

I don't think certain Japanese models will hold their value any better: GS500s, Bandits and Japanese middleweight cruisers all depreciate pretty badly.

staff 07-23-2005 03:41 PM

Re: Off Topic even more

iamz, your email address on file bounces, and people can't send you comments. Can you send me a message with an update if you want it to work?

--Ashley

sv1000rider 07-23-2005 04:29 PM

Re: Hyosung GT650 vs. Suzuki SV650

I think if motorcycles were a common form of transportation in the U.S., the price point of Hyosung might lead to significant sales. Sure Hyosung will sell a few here, but I think that the former point combined with the superiority of Japanese biks that can be competitively priced (look at all the new '04 bikes out there) will make it very difficult for Hyosung to be really successful here in the states. And if they wanted, I think Japan could lower their prices even more to stimulate more sales and that move would probably squash any newcomer. Just my uninformed opinion though. It will be very interesting to see how the motorcycle market in the U.S. does in the next few years.

Nplateau 07-23-2005 04:43 PM

Bite me.

Gabe 07-23-2005 06:35 PM

Hyosung Competitiveness

Unlike, say, a nascent Excelsior-Henderson or Indian trying to compete against a giant Harley Davidson with an expensive, money-losing product, Hyosung is already an established manufacturer with a production capacity of 200,000 units, already exporting to 60 countries.

So although they aren't as big as the Big Four Japanese brands, they are big enough, and have established markets elsewhere (and don't forget a huge line of other industrial products) that if Hyosung wanted to get into a price war with the Japanese in the USA, losing a few million a year to sell 5,000 bikes, just to establish a toehold in what could ultimately be a very lucrative market, that wouldn't be so crazy.

I'm speculating here, but I think Hyosung could drop prices another $1000 or $1500. Could Suzuki discount the SV to $4500 or $5000 to keep up? No way. I dare you, Suzuki! Yeah! I double dare you!

And how about when the Chinese start selling GSXR1000 knock-offs for $3999? Look out!

I think there will be a pricewar and glut situation in the next five years, like we had in the mid 80's. And it had a disasterous effect on the motorcycle industry that lasted over 10 years! Remember how few new models came out from about 88 until 95 or so?

Holy_Kaw 07-23-2005 07:32 PM

Sure, sure, sounds like a typical, bitter non First Post! Club member to me.

connolly_p 07-23-2005 07:40 PM

Re: Off Topic

Funny you should comment on BMW vs Hyosung reliability - I'm on my 3rd BMW car (a 3 series, a 540, and an X5), and had a lot of reliability issues with 2 of them (the 540 and X5). They cerainly don't seem to be "built to last". And, I can assure you, it's not funny at all...

I also have a Hyosung GT250 Comet, which I've done a bit over 10,000 miles on now. Faults so far have been: broken speedo cable (in 1st 50km of riding), intermittent side stand safety switch (resulted in engine turning off when revving hard or going over large bumps), and front sprocket came loose at one stage. All fixed very quickly and easily - the dealer network in Melbourne Australia is actually very good.

The engine was a bit viby at first, but has smoothed out progressively until now, where it is really quite smooth. Not sure if the 650 would do the same thing of course...

As for resale, I paid $6000AUD for mine (about $4500 USD), and saw a used one for sale recently at $3200 AUD - ouch, nearly 50% in first year alone.

Holy_Kaw 07-23-2005 07:46 PM

Good article, informative, thanks.

sportbikebandit 07-23-2005 08:56 PM

Re: That's Ridiculous

Yeah Yeah Gabe you're right. But dogs? Thats just sick....cats ok but dogs? Just kidding I love cats too...