Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-12-2005, 10:45 AM   #61
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Adventure Touring: Go There, Go Anywhere

The Euro model has a compartment for a tiny little bureaucrat that rides around with you.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-12-2005, 12:17 PM   #62
KLRer
Founding Member

theres something to be said for tried and true technology when youre out in the middle of nowhere. The Soviets used vacumn tube technology in their MIGs and the experts scoffed, until it was learned that vacumn tubes are the only thing that works when the mushrooms are sprouting. Everything with a transitor in it dies due to electromagnetic pulses.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 12:26 PM   #63
KLRer
Founding Member

Pretty funny! Seriously, I doubt the so-called European model is still made. It was called the C model as I recall while the the U.S. and Canadian were the A model or maybe vice versa. I thinkthe European model was intended to be a little more street oriented. The weight difference might have been real or it might have been confusion between dry and wet weights--not sure. There may also have been a hp difference with the U.S. and Canadian models having slightly more.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 06:30 PM   #64
dean_1
Founding Member

Would any of these have cleared the barbed wire Steve McQeen tried to jump in "The Great Escape"? If not I'm still looking.
dean_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 11:44 PM   #65
Unapproachable
Founding Member

Good morning. It made me smile as well although Buzglyd (e?) is referring to a third flavour of KLR only sold in Belgium and France. According to the various Kawasaki websites the weights quoted are all dry so the weight difference appears to be real. I thought Honda had the patent on adding 40 pounds to a motorcycle to make it more road orientated.

Unapproachable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:02 AM   #66
mad_scientist
Registered Member

Nothing serious yet. I did replace the stock seat with Suzy's gel version. Still not perfect, but a huge improvement. For tires, I'm running Avon AM24 Gripsters. Real nice street tire, ok performance in dirt if you let out some air. I have reservations about large aluminum panniers like they offer at happy trails. Not only do they create unneccessary drag, in an accident, they could do some serious damage to your legs. For now when I need to carry something on the bike, I just use bungees on the passenger hand grips. To the exhaust question, look at http://www.kientech.com/DR650FMFQSE.htm

I have no experience with or financial interest in this exhaust can. Sounds promising anyway.
mad_scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:26 AM   #67
iamz
Founding Member

Default When the mushroom.....

.....clouds are sprouting, does anyone really care if the radio works anymore? Only thing I'd be using is my bottle opener so I can have that one last Guinness.....Oh yeah, and a Bic lighter for the cigar.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 12:45 PM   #68
christian_gates
Founding Member

Default Re: Well now it's unanimous!

Hold on now - I sense some sarcasm. Let's examine that 2 lbs. - which works out to about 1/3 of a HP - and that 0.3 HP - which works out to about 2 pounds. That's a lot of fish n' chips, and for a man of Sean's apparent appetite (according to article), that's what he needs to stay even. So don't deride specs. that might be meaningful to certain riders.

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 04:55 PM   #69
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Re: Did you read the tester's comments on the bottom of the story?

Thanks, BB!

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:40 AM   #70
cptaebphd
Founding Member

I, too, don't understand why they went with the DL1000 vs. the DL650. The 6fiddy would have been a much better choice. And all bikes should have been "equalized" with knobbies prior to the test for a fair comparison.

Too little focus was given to the electronic gremlins of the BMW: a $17K bike should have a usable fuel gauge especially in an "adventure" environment. But I guess these things will get fixed during one of those $$$ maintenance appointments. And the BMW luggage isn't waterproof? Terminal flaw.
cptaebphd is offline   Reply With Quote