Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-11-2005, 09:08 AM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Adventure Touring: Go There, Go Anywhere

I'm sure the Honda is just fine for the sorts of uses the people who who buy them will put them through. I don't think I'll be seeing too many of them on Elephant Hill though. Not too many ML350s either.

You don't actually have a Honda car dealership in Pocatello, do you? I thought that Idaho citizenship rules required everyone to own a 15+ year old Dodge 4X4 with a rusted out muffler, chrome naked girl mud flaps and EZ Rider Rifle Rack(tm).

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2005, 09:20 AM   #22
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Excellent Point, I am sure that most of these Honda "pick-ups" will never see a dirt road yet alone a FS or BLM trail/jeep track. These things are yet another version of the SUV. Suburban Uniuse Vehicle.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:54 AM   #23
mebirdman
Registered Member

Good article. Of course, here comes the "but";

comparing a $5,200 motorcycle with a $15,000 motorcycle is like comparing an amateur racer to a professional. As Damon Runyon wrote, "the race is not always to the swift, but that's the way to bet." Talk (and web writing) is cheap. Real players spend their own money. I was also surprised to see that you used the DL1000 instead of the DL650. The 650 is as good as the 1000 on pavement in all ways but power, and it is far better in the dirt. It's also $2,400 cheaper. $75 to Laminar Lip gives the Suzukis one of the best windshields on 2 wheels. Both the V-stroms are transformed off pavement, if you drop tire pressure down around 26psi. The BMW works well in the dirt on knobbies? Well, duh. Heated grips $200? Try $25 from Symtech. Did you service any of these bikes or even wash them? Those are real world considerations. Still, I did read the whole article, so you win.
mebirdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:00 AM   #24
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Only hillbillies from Blackfoot drive around Dodge trucks. It's F-250's that are required for Idaho citizenship.
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:24 AM   #25
maladg
Registered Member

I live in the burbs of a top 15 population metro area. That Honda looks PERFECT to replace the 12 yr old Ford 150. Easier on gas, bizzaro looks, Honda built quality and can haul all the mulch I'm likely to - well - mulch.

And it annoys hard core truck guys - perfect!! My ST 11 annoys Hardley dudes, my Acid cigars annoy everyone. My political views annoy the neighbors...I NEED a Ridgeline!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:29 AM   #26
maladg
Registered Member

Looks like Gabe caught the essence when he talked about these "adventure bikes" being great day to day bikes.

Hmmm, how did you 'rons at MO know I wuz a thinkin about one of these? Nice article with good timing.

I was going to bloviate about the BMW - its the one of two here (KLR being the other) that will still be in heavy use 20 yrs from now, but either you get it or you don't...kinda like Harleys...and I don't get the Harley thing just like I know a lot of you don't get the BMW thing.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:40 AM   #27
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I drive a Toyota Tundra. Am I a sissy too?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:41 AM   #28
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I don't know. That sign clearly says, "Boy Scout Camp."
Old 07-11-2005, 11:42 AM   #29
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I just back from Idaho. I drove up to McCall from Boise and took the boy fishing. McCall was full of mom's in SUVs.

I'm off to Rome on Wednesday so you'll have to handle the witty retorts for a week.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:11 PM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

Yes.