Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-11-2005, 05:14 AM   #11
dinskeep
Founding Member

Default Re: Adventure Touring: Go There, Go Anywhere

If you include the KLR, you need to include the F650. The F650 is probably what a modernized KLR would be like, with maybe slightly more street emphasis - but still more dirt capability than the Tiger, VStrom, or R12GS
dinskeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2005, 05:15 AM   #12
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Default Well now it's unanimous!

MO have trashed every motorcycle in the Triumph product line. Maybe they should go back to making TR's and Spitfires and give up on bikes? What say you MOrons?

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the next MO comparo planning meeting.

Sean; "Hey guys don't forget to include a Triumph or a Ducati, somthing has to come in last! BTW did you guys see the new Kawasaki? It makes 0.3 hp and weighs 2 lbs less than last years model, I'm already liking those specs."
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:56 AM   #13
mile_eater
Founding Member

Top F'ing Notch boys!

Just wondering... what does it say about the state of the genre when a 20 year old bike gets 3rd?
Old 07-11-2005, 06:22 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

I think it has something more to do with getting away from the knife-wielding Sean.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:26 AM   #15
bbtowns
Founding Member

I've owned all of these bikes in the last four years ('cept it was a R1150GS, so not quite fair), and while I generally agree with the conclusions, I've got a comment though. First and foremost if you even the playing field from a cost perspective, I'm guessing the order would have been different if you could have added aftermarket products to get all the bikes up to the $16K cost of the BMW. Comparing two bikes under $10K to two at or above $12K in a contest where suspension, frame and motor design are all important is likely to result in only one outcome. You could put Works suspension front and rear, knobbies, new brake discs, lines and pads, skid plate, and crash bars on the V and still be cheaper than the KTM. The KLR could be solid gold. Seems the question is if it was your own money, is the BMW 1/3 better than the KTM, twice as good as V-Strom, and four times better than the KLR? Is the BMW worth five years of payments compared to 30 months for the V-Strom or 16 months for the KLR.

Old 07-11-2005, 07:06 AM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Looks to me like the KLR still fits the bill for the best choice for Adventure Touring where most of your time is spent actually Adventuring and the purchaser isn't made out of money. The $14K you save over buying the BMW will buy a lot of upgrades, a lot of steaks for Sean to tenderize for you with his K-Bar and also buy him a glass eye replacement or two.

Don't get me started on yet another one of those yuppie pimp trucks. 1,100 lb bed capacity? Oh please.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:22 AM   #17
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Well now it's unanimous!

Coming in last in a comparo isn't always a bad thing. It's usually the bike I look to buy first, since it's usually under the radar. I don't think MO came off trashing the Tiger. They just said it isn't really off-road worthy.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:37 AM   #18
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Did you read the tester's comments on the bottom of the story?

I'm assuming you did and felt we were a little short on analysis, but the article was pushing 5,000 words! Anyway, we did touch on those things, but we tested by genre in this story, not price, and comparing modified motorcycles to unmodified ones will get you hot water with readers and OEM's alike.

I 100% agree with your implied message: the GS is NOT 3.5 times better than the KLR, and a modified KLR would be a very kick-ass adventure bike.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:39 AM   #19
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Wow - you mean somebody besides Ford makes pickup trucks?
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:43 AM   #20
Haird
Founding Member

Intersting that the 2002 R1150GS/Tiger comparo and the 1996 (or 1997, there is no date on the story) R1100R/Tiger/CapoNord comparo both found the tiger more dirt-worthy than the GS. That new 1200 must be something by comparison.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote