Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-08-2005, 10:14 PM   #1
jaycar
Founding Member

Default Re: Steve McQueen: Hollywood Behind the Iron Curtain

I vote the former.

I've read a number of accounts about McQueen's adventures, including his fondness for riding his Indian ratbike around anonymously (or attempting to be) and chasing through the Hollywood hills with the cops.

My favorite though, was the story of him taking his favorite stunt plane out late in life. He knew he was going to die from cancer, so he took a .45 caliber pistol with him. When he landed the plane undamaged, someone called him a chicken. McQueen responded: "F@#$ you. I didn't want to scratch it." (referring to the plane).

It hurts a little to watch The Great Escape, The Thomas Crown Affair, and, especially, Bullitt. I miss McQueen. The current crop of Hollywood flakes couldn't carry his jock en masse.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2005, 10:16 PM   #2
jaycar
Founding Member

Oh yeah, watching McQueen in On Any Sunday is pretty freaking cool though.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:28 AM   #3
vcs700s
Founding Member

Definitely an adventurer, be it motorcycle or car. Great driver and actor and sorely missed.
vcs700s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 02:40 AM   #4
RosevilleRod
Registered Member

Steve McQueen was the quintessential strong, silent type, so lacking in Hollywood today. He didn't go to daytime talk shows (I think Donahue was around then??) and jump on couches! He quietly did masculine type daring things well enough to compete professionally (like James Garner).

In the world today, we are inundated with ridiculous images of women doing stunts that are impossible due to their size and strength, all in the name of equality. And most commercials today seem to be about stupid men being humiliated by their kids and wives.

I suppose I'm ranting, but where did the real men go in today's media. I think they are still out there, we just don't ever see them on TV or in a movie.
RosevilleRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 03:39 AM   #5
uberhawk
Founding Member

Real men in media have disappeared because there are so few of them in the "biz". The androgenous/metrosexual is the "preferred" look for the simple reason that they are the preferred dating material for David Geffen and his ilk...

Compare that to the late 50s and 60s when Louie Mayer and such were bedding starlets at a fericious rate and the legend of the casting couch was born. Men were running studios, and weren't afraid to cast other men as strong male types in movies. Most of the "he-men" today are in their 50's, leftovers from before the movies became media.

Vince Vaughn and Michael Madsen are the only two I can come up with under 50 who don't scream metrosexual, and neither are in the same school as McQueen, much less the same class.

Which is why Ford reached back for McQueen, can anybody imagine casting Brad Pitt as a hard nosed cop? If you can, you're lost... Maybe a hard-nosed heroin addict cop, which proves my point.

Rant off...

Yes, McQueen was the real deal...
uberhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 03:59 AM   #6
edward44
Founding Member

No doubt about it-McQueen was the real thing. But also the bikes he rode were easy: 40 to 45 hp max

which was a good thing given the state of the art of the tires and cycle parts. But a 100+ hp machine is in a different league requiring a lot more in concentration and discipline. Still, Steve left behind a great legacy of action films in which he did most of the dangerous parts himself (exceptions being the jump and the action in the Mustang in Bullitt which were both done by Ekins). It's a pleasure to rewatch his films which I do from time to time.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 04:15 AM   #7
KZ1000R1
Founding Member

Steve McQueen isn't over-hyped on anything, because he didn't allow himself to be. He is known as a great actor but many do not realize he was also a nationally ranked desert rider, accomplished moto rider (raced in the 1964 ISDT w/ Bud Ekins) and Race car driver (did virtually all of the driving in the movie "LeMans") and had a top notch bike collection. He lived a couple of lifetimes in 50 years. When it comes to "coolness" factor the only "actors" that I would put in the same league are Paul Newman and Lee Marvin.

Frank Bullitt: "You sell whatever you want, but don't sell it here tonight"

KZ1000R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 04:32 AM   #8
morriscm
Registered Member

Hate to date myself, but when Bullit came out the car mags did a number of articles on McQueens driving. My recollection is that he did all the driving with the exception of one particularly difficult corner that he overshot twice taking out cameras. Had to have the professional driver do that one (and he got it in the first try).
Old 07-09-2005, 04:51 AM   #9
edward44
Founding Member

The article I read left the impression that he tried to do all the driving but kept spinning out so reluctantly turned it over to Bud Ekins. Nice to hear

it was just one corner as it certainly looked like he was doing all the driving.
Old 07-09-2005, 04:54 AM   #10
edward44
Founding Member

Lee Marvin also rode bikes and competed in the Catalina GP of fond memory along with Keenan Wynn. They were not serious contenders as Ekins

was.