Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-09-2005, 08:44 AM   #21
sbduncan
Registered Member

Default On Any Sunday Revisted

I highly recommend watching On Any Sunday for those that haven't to learn more about this extraordinary man. Then follow it up with On Any Sunday Revisted, made by Bruce Brown and his son in 2000. It has a lot of extra material about McQueen and explains his special role in the making of the first film. Made after McQueen's death, it conveys their profound affection and deep respect.
sbduncan is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2005, 08:52 AM   #22
edward44
Founding Member

Default Re: Steve McQueen: Hollywood Behind the Iron Curtain

Well this is getting far afield from what I said originally: that the bikes McQueen rode were easy.

What I implied was: we will never know the extent of his talent because he was a actor who dabbled in motorsports at a time when the bikes available were British road machines stripped down and of modest capability. I defy anyone to say that a 140hp bike is no more difficult to extend than a 40hp one. One man we do know has transendent ability is Jeff Gordon who stepped into a F1 car, never having driven anything remotely like that. and with a lap or two came with 1 second of Montoyas best time at Indy. I am not disparging McQueen: I am stating facts. It was the sportbike pilot who misinterpeted my remarks.
edward44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 09:00 AM   #23
christian_gates
Founding Member

I think what you meant to say was this:

[cue synthesizer in background]

On March 3, 1969 the United States Navy established an elite school for the top one percent of its pilots. Its purpose was to teach the lost art of aerial combat and to insure that the handful of men who graduated were the best fighter pilots in the world.

They succeeded.

Today the Navy calls it Fighter Weapons School.

The flyers call it:

Top Gun

[cue F-14 firing afterburners etc.]
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 09:03 AM   #24
christian_gates
Founding Member

Steve McQueen was legit. He drove a 917K at the Sarthe at over 200MPH for "Le Mans", which is basically all you need to say.

Hard-nosed "men" aren't the way of things in Hollywood right now, though - they want modelly types, which pretty much means that real-life hard action heroes are in fact only to be found in real life. Oh, and stunt men.

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 09:16 AM   #25
edward44
Founding Member

Uh, I think you are in the wrong thread, buddy.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:53 AM   #26
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Having ridden them all I feel well-qualified to say that it is a simple fact that it is, indeed, far easier to manage the 150+ hp in any modern sportbike than it is to manage the 50 hp in the ancient bikes I and many others in this forum started out on (including a 500+ pound dirtbike) in any competitive situtation.

Five minutes with any racer, any rep from any OEM, or basically anyone who has been riding for a while will elicit the same opinion. In fact this year's crop of open classers had the most tractable power delivery that dreams are capable of conjuring. Modern bikes, in every way imaginable, are better than their ancestors and far easier to ride and to go fast on.

-mhh
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 09:57 AM   #27
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I wonder if Russell Crowe or Sean Penn would be as eager to get into people's wheelhouses if the people they were fighting shot back?

One of the reasons that Marvin was chosen for the role in "The Big Red One" was because he brought the necessary authenticity to the role.
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 10:11 AM   #28
edward44
Founding Member

Yep, I reckon those 250 hp Dukes are a lead pipe cinch to ride. Why hells bells, if you had the cash I am sure you could be out there at the Leguna on a factory prototype as a wildcard showing those young whipper snappers a thing or two. Darn tooting! By the way, what 500 pound dirt bike was that?
Old 07-09-2005, 10:39 AM   #29
edward44
Founding Member

Off we go into the wild blue yonder

Climbing high into the sun;

Here they come zooming to meet our thunder,

At'em boys, giv'er the gun!

Down we dive spouting our flames from under,

Off with one hell-uv-a roar!

We live in fame or go down in flame,