Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-02-2005, 11:55 AM   #21
yossef
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Ducati Monster S2R

Good observation, BUT, upon checking I found out that those were the lights switches blocks that were coming very close to the gas tank, way before the fork tubes to the frame. With a higher handlebar the threaded steering lock stops could have been pulled out a bit. I guess that the above mod together with wider spaced fork tubes, could solve the problem. Not a big deal for a factory.
yossef is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-02-2005, 12:00 PM   #22
yossef
Founding Member

At 6'3" you did the right thing me thinks.
yossef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 12:18 PM   #23
Fenton
Founding Member

Thanks, I appreciate the 2nd.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 05:06 PM   #24
sconley
Founding Member

Not a big deal at all... I was working from memory of the 900 monsters I've owned but have yet to see a S2r in the flesh... The 900's had bad turning radii and on one I put 750ss clipons... Talk about no turning radius! It was a 12 point turn to get it pointed in the opposite direction on a road. Anyway, nice review... Pretty cool Duc for the money and almost as much HP as the last generation 900 mills, and more than the older 900 mills.
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 05:40 PM   #25
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Decision SV vs S2R vs XB9SX

I'm down to a classic decision that reflects an article done by Burnsie. SV650 versus S2R versus XB9SX. Everybody but Burns drooled over the SV, and I think I can understand his twisted mind. Not enough powah. Seems the S2R fixed many of the problems he uncovered on the old Monster 800. Both the Duc and the Buell have significant spunk. The Buell is easier to live with, what with those hydraulic valves, etc. But I am worried about reliability. (The world is changing when you realize that Ducatis are now reliable.)

So wise ones, enlighten me. What is the better ride, considering that the Buell and the Duc cost the same, around $8,500 puls or minus at the dealer. Primary intent is as a commuter weapon, with the occassional canyon romp thrown in.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 06:54 PM   #26
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Decision SV vs S2R vs XB9SX

I don't have anything against the buells, But between the two, I'd go Duc.

Everything I read about the S2R is smooth, smooth, smooth. I didn't realize until Ride magazine compared the S2R to a M900 they were with in 1/2hp & 1/2ft./lb (would that be 6 inches of torque?) of eachother.

The S2R got the nod on every front.

Best of luck.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 09:33 PM   #27
Chango
Founding Member

I must admit that it was an S2R or S4R that gave me the most trouble at the track a few weeks ago. I always caught up with him at the end of the straights, only to have to jam on the brakes to avoid running into the guy. My corner entry speed was a bit higher than his (when I finally got around him), and my corner speed was a little higher (when I finally got around him), but he got a much better drive out of the corners every time (even after I finally got around him). Now part of that is because of the superior power delivery of the twin versus my I-4, but really it's mostly due to the other guy having bigger huevos than me.

Sure, it's not terribly relevant to the well-written article, but I had to vent somewhere.

"It's always easier to do things the hard way." -- Chango
Old 07-03-2005, 03:18 PM   #28
DaveFla
Founding Member

Default Re: Decision SV vs S2R vs XB9SX

Not totally relevant, but- I'm just finishing up my first year & 2,500 miles with an XB12R. It'd be more miles, but: it took the dealer about five weeks to sort what turned out to be plug fouling (the ECM pointed fingers at the O2 sensor, we called the factory twice & put in 10 hours on it, etc.)

If I'd read the forums at the Bad Weather Bikers site more closely, I'd have bought a spare set of plugs by last winter, when this cropped up, and skipped the dealer entirely. If you buy the CityX, DO NOT open the throttle while cranking and for 20 seconds after start. If it doesn't start with the temps under 45 degrees, you probably need to have the throttle position sensor zeroed.

Recently, I've discovered that the muffler paint has failed over a considerable area, with some surface rusting. But Michigan salts the winter roads, and I ride whenever it's sunny and the roads are (mostly) dry, so that's not surprising.

FWIW: I've an LSL Superbike bar kit, XB-S foot pegs and a Wingrack going on later this summer. I've already added a Zero-G double bubble. So far, my longest trip is around 300 miles. I'm looking at the factory Custom seat versus the Corbin, and leaning to the Corbin. These bits are XB-R pieces, so your mileage may vary, etc.

Other than that, trouble free grins, and I mean BIG grins- it's like a mountain bike with 90 rwHP. The 1,000 mile service was just under $120. Fuel economy has never fallen below 39 mpg (except during the fouled plug episode), no matter how much hooliganism I indulge in during the commute.

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 06:12 PM   #29
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Thanks

Great info. It's what I was looking for. I agree on the great grins department. Frankly I was surprised by my first test ride. Seems like it would be stable enough for my occassional use as a sport tourer and a good communter bike, including some freeway travel.

Thanks again,

Francis
Old 07-03-2005, 06:13 PM   #30
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Thanks

I appreciate the input. To me it comes down to the beauty of the Duc compared to the easier maintenance of the Buell, provided it is reliable.

Francis