Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-24-2005, 07:04 AM   #41
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: A Star is Born @50!

Why argue with someone who believes that the Japanese do all their research and development solely with Japanese resources? Or who takes the fact that Porsche helped HD on one engine to claim that Porsche does all their design? May as well argue with a rutabaga.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2005, 07:14 AM   #42
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You'd be surprised. The local high school kids in these parts are cruising around in all kinds of old American iron. It's part of the whole groovy, funky 70s thing right now.

Why don't you ditch work today. I'm gonna stop by the MO barn on my way to LA this afternoon. The boy and I are going to stay in West LA tonight.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:19 AM   #43
ikonoklass
Founding Member

I have to disagree. I think cruisers are the bike of customers of a certain age, and for some reason, the Japanese just can't seem to develop any "cred" in that niche. Take me, for example. I'm 38 years old. I ride a Sprint ST, which I love. Got the hankering for a second bike this year. I reasoned that since I already owned a sport-tourer, the logical thing to buy was a cruiser. I thought it would be particularly wise to get one amenable to two-up travel with the wife. The one I really wanted was the MG California EV Touring, but the company's struggles were a little off-putting, as were reports online about catastrophic hydraulic lifter failures. Scratch that one. Considered a Victory, but the touring cruiser seemed to be pretty much abandoned in terms of updates. Had a strong bias against Harley, not because of the bikes, but because I find the culture annoying. Wound up buying a BMW R1200CLC, which is, quite frankly, a lemon. As I write this, it's been in the shop for a week and shows no signs of being released in the near future. In retrospect, I wish I'd bought the Harley, given the massive aftermarket support. But my point is, I did not for one second consider a Japanese bike. Why? Because I can afford not to. Now, the Star line is attractive for one reason, and one reason only: the big engine. But even Harley's feeble engineers should be able to come up with the competitive answer to that one. A delta of a couple thousand bucks just isn't enough to entice people to buy Japanese cruisers in large quantities. Here in Colorado, I see fleets of Harleys everywhere I go. But the Japanese cruisers just haven't made much penetration. I know they're out there, but it's in numbers that are utterly forgettable.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:26 AM   #44
maladg
Registered Member

Roadmaster?? HAH!

How about "SlowRider Fireblast Custom Fleetflair SportGo" in "Abyssinian Mauve, Foamfroth White, Thuringin Indigo". Options to include saddle upholstered in "WondaWeev, new double-strength material-like substance", and "Pan-o-Wrap Full-Vu Windscreen with the innovative Gyro-Cloud Full-Spring Suspension"
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:34 AM   #45
maladg
Registered Member

I'm still having trouble controlling my mirth today. However a brief moment of lucidity has presented me with an uncommon opportunity to make a cogent comment:

Darn good point. Ye old pharte has noted that several of the office cuties 20 something boyfriend du jour of the day are driving 70's iron and attempting restorations. Some of them are pretty good, too.

Looks like serious 60's stuff is too $$$ for the 20's set.

When was the last time you saw just about anybody that is "Hollywood Cool" in a movie NOT driving something retro?

All my barely controlled mirth aside, I suppose Yamaha has probably nailed this one. Further down, JB alludes to long term problems for HD as their customer base ages into scooterdom or the old folks home. Will the young folks go whole HOG? I'll bet a sizable % won't.

Looking back, I'm not sure about any cogent content, so back to silly mirth.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:46 AM   #46
johnnyb
Founding Member

dang i wonder where all of them are going? Yamaha is selling the crap out of them...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:50 AM   #47
johnnyb
Founding Member

you know when u write something like that you need to be sure to put ™ at the end or somebody like me will steal it.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 07:59 AM   #48
Buzglyd
Founding Member

welp, the h-d crowd has aged of course but look at all of the biker buildoff popularity. You think all these kids with the tatts and the noserings want to ride naked standards around?

I'm probably the anti-harley Harley guy though. I just wear regular riding gear and eschew the badass look.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:01 AM   #49
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I think you just need him to loan you his Bruce McCall book.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:03 AM   #50
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

phag