Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-24-2005, 05:58 AM   #31
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: A Star is Born @50!

Sony was once a giant too. Then this:

"The board of the Sony Corporation of Japan named Sir Howard Stringer its chairman and chief executive today, an unusual instance of a leading Japanese company turning to a foreigner to fill a top position, the company said in Tokyo.

Sir Howard, a Welsh-born former television news journalist, runs Sony Corporation of America and has helped revive the company's music and movie businesses in the United States. He will succeed Nobuyuki Idei, Sony's current chairman and chief executive, who had planned to retire next year after Sony's 60th anniversary.

This is a remarkable humbling for a company that once defined Japanese innovation and technological prowess in the years after World War II. In recent years, however, Sony has lost ground to American stalwarts like Apple Computer with its dominant iPod digital music player and a raft of upstart electronics manufacturers in China and South Korea.

It's called what goes around, comes around.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2005, 06:01 AM   #32
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

I've seen him in person, and in photos. It's a six of one type comparison.
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:05 AM   #33
johnnyb
Founding Member

note that has already been taken care of.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:08 AM   #34
django9270
Registered Member

If by "chicks" you mean your grandmother, then I gues you are correct. Eventually you have to move out of your parents basement and take a look around. Chicks don't think scooters are cool, they don't think Star Trek is cool, they don't think Star Wars is cool. Nice try though.
django9270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:10 AM   #35
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I guess yer first stop on the way home won't have to be Target to buy a hairdryer.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:22 AM   #36
johnnyb
Founding Member

well cruisers beat me, but the japanese are a patient people who learn from history. first japanese cars were toys, now they own the market.

sure it's a hd copy, but it's like a good cobra kit car 2—better than the original in just about every way.

these big-ass `Lliner things should b faster than warrior even stock. Did u read the part about 50/50 weight distribution? Should actually handle pretty good too—for them what care. Seamless gas tank. Anvil reliability. Low price. Anybody been to Sturgis? Some younger custom guys are building some pretty cool Yamahas anymore... give it another 10 yrs who knows... i don't see too many kids in camaros and chevelles these days.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:34 AM   #37
ikonoklass
Founding Member

I think the central question is whether a marketing approach that has succeeded with cars can also work with motorcycles. Like someone else wrote, Toyota started by making inexpensive cars that appealed to the impecunious ... and then slowly improved their reputation for style and quality, until now, they dominate in both of those regards. But I question whether that can work against Harley, where the brand its the major reason to buy. The Japanese sold lots of cruisers when they were priced at half of what a Harley sold for a few years ago, but a product approaching the same price? I can't see it working, no matter how reliable it is. I also think the Japanese will get slaughtered by the Chinese and Koreans here in the next decade.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:49 AM   #38
johnnyb
Founding Member

HD is the Brand to guys of a certain age, just like Cadillac used to be, but i don't know that it's true of of upcoming buyers. once that import wall is breached, consumers just want best product for $$. I buy american when i can out of patriotism, which seems pretty anachronistic.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:53 AM   #39
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Dig that Roadliner Midnight. Ditch the ugly pipes and it would look way cool. Maybe call it the Roadmaster instead? Oh, wait, Buick's got that one tied up already.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:03 AM   #40
Grundoon
Registered Member

Personally, I'm waiting for the Star Stratofortress. Biggest bike on the road, and a huge bombbay for loosing fiery destruction on those soccer mom-driven SUV's.