Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-24-2005, 05:53 AM   #21
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

Default Re: A Star is Born @50!

Well, it is true that HD is cutting production, whilst the Japanese are upping production. There's got to be a reason for that.

Being a sports and dirtbike guy, I'm not the best judge of cruisers, but to me, the Japanese ones look a whole lot nicer than the HDs.

As for the engineering issue, who engineers the Yamaha motors? Yamaha engineers, that's who. Who does the engineering work for "America's Motor Company?" Porsche. It seems that the most profitable company in all of motorcycledom can't see fit to hire American engineers. But they do a great job waving the flag and acting like they're all-American.

This will come to bite them in 2007, when the Japanese reveal their power cruisers in response to the VRod. The Japanese have shown that when it comes to engine technology, they can redesign on a 2 year cycle. Now that it performance matters in cruiserdom, HD will be at a distinct disadvantage.

Don't let the Road Star's 1950's era motor fool you. They built that junk motor because it is what the masses wanted. Now that the masses are getting interested in perfromance cruisers, we'll see the engineering might of the Japanese motorcycle companies.

I only wish I could have written "the engineering might of America's motorcycle companies."
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2005, 05:54 AM   #22
red916
Founding Member

The Shadow Aero is defunct? I just sold two 2005s this week.
red916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 05:58 AM   #23
maladg
Registered Member

Studebaker? Don't you mean Stumpenbacker, Head office, West Twist, Indiana?

"The 1948 Stumpenbacker Hutsut: 37% more class than any car in its class - and there aren't any cars in its class!"

2006 Star Roadwood Lowmeister: "New Firewood Deluxe Supreme Flairthrust Special Custom Country-Cousin Landscape Cruiser Super 5000 in Golden Buttermilk Sunset Sienna Ochre with Daredash sidespear of Cameroon Teak Inlay in genuine Processite".

Stop me already! I'm having too much fun with this with Bruce McCalls help!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:09 AM   #24
sarnali
Founding Member

No no man, yer' on a roll.......
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:19 AM   #25
SmokeU
Registered Member

OK, let me rephrase that.

The defunct 1100 Aero, not the 750. The 1100 imo was much nicer than the 750.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:24 AM   #26
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

You're correct. Instead Honda sells VTX1800s fro $8995 because no one wants them.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:25 AM   #27
Buzglyd
Founding Member

No doubt Star Motorcycles of Yamaha riders are big fans of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:29 AM   #28
wayback
Founding Member

Overall look is OK, but what's with the dorky front fender? And why is the windshield mounted so far in front of the steering head? It must be 6 inches further forward than any of their other bikes and sits straighter up and down too. Weird looking.

No question that motorcycle marketing is based on surveying those people that think bigger is always better. Shrink this bike by a third, including the displacement, and give me something that isn't like moving a wheelbarrow around. Even with the aluminum frame, add me, a passenger and some gear in the bags and we're looking at well over half a ton.

As an example, a MG California EV Touring, regardless of what you think of MG's, is comfortable, handles better than most cruisers, and has plenty of power with two up and gear aboard and weighs more than 200 pounds less.

I guess I'm the odd one here -- these things are a lot more inportant to me as motorcycles than as design and fashion statements.

One last thing -- what's with this "first post" thing? Trying to show which of you has the most time on their hands with nothing else to do? Also weird.

wayback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:47 AM   #29
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

OK Sean, just one question. Where do you go to meet beautiful near sighted women? Van
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 06:55 AM   #30
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Sean is not as ugly in person as he is in pictures. Or is it that he isn't as ugly in pictures as he is in person? I forget.