Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-24-2005, 02:30 AM   #11
iamz
Founding Member

Default Re: A Star is Born @50!

Da Vino is da bomb.
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2005, 02:55 AM   #12
maladg
Registered Member

Help! I can't stop laughing!

Stratoliners, Roadliners, I can't stop laughing!

Has Yamaha hired Bruce McCall? Mmmmm, Bulgemobiles! "Liquidmatic water cooling with H2O additive!", "Versa-Tronic 1-2-3-4 Transmission with Phantom Clutching", "Lid-Master Fedora Matic" automatically puts a crappy "biker" lid on your head, "Roto Tuned Mello-Muff mufflers"!

The new 2006 Yamaha Bulgemobiles - oops, I mean Stratoliner/Roadliners - "TOO GREAT NOT TO BE CHANGED - TOO CHANGED NOT TO BE GREAT!" "SO ALL FIRED NEW THEY MAKE TOMORROW SEEM LIKE YESTERDAY!!!!"

Cruiser guys: I scoff in your general direction.

Fair disclosure: everthing in quotes is quoted from the great Bruce McCall's 1982 book "Zany Afternoons". Sorry, long out of print and no, you can't borrow mine.

Seriously, I suppose Stratoliners & Roadliners should make me think of Union Pacific 4-6-6-4 locomotives, Lockheed Connies, B-36's, Dagmar bumpers and vintage Harleys. But it just makes me laugh.

Hey, MO. Thanks for really making my day! Not only am I going to be in a darn good mood all day, you forced me to get out Bruce McCalls best and laugh my ass off.

And thanks, Yamaha! or is it Star? Young MOrons out there: there is a future for you out there in marketing land! No idea is too dumb, no target market too dense!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 03:49 AM   #13
gregpz
Registered Member

If You want 'lightest and best handling Big Twin' (88CI not big any more) check Star Warrior's specs and take a ride if You have a chance, You'll be surprised.

gregpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:07 AM   #14
yoavy11
Founding Member

I'd definitely put the MT01 at the top of my "which bike I'd add to stable next" list, if they'll just get it here already.

The z-rex just doesn't have any competition here as a big muscled naked bike. In europe they have the CB1300 which has a stronger engine and better handling then the ZRX1200. The GSX1400, imagine the torque on that one, and the XJR1300.

MO would you call your Yamaha connection and ask them what's they're excuse? I don't get it. I know those bikes don't fly out of the showrooms here, but it can't be they won't sell enough to at least cover they're expenses and keep the riders who want them happy.

Out of topic, but I just had to let it out.

Thank you.
yoavy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:14 AM   #15
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Cmon Seruzawa, Yamaha..... I mean Star, has that wonderfully modern 48 degree pushrod, air cooled, belt driven V-Twin engine. Now where did those fantastic Yama......I mean Star, engineers think of that? That lousy Harley junk is an inferior 45 degree pushrod, air cooled, belt driven V-Twin. Cheesy to be sure. Harley engineers can't develop anything, and you know that. Of course, the Yamah........I mean Star V-Twin cruisers come to us from that same company that in the 80's branded the V-Twin an "inferior design" along with Honda. Funny, but that "inferior design" is now the mainstay of both the Honda and Yamah.....I mean Star lineup. Of course, that was when Harley was going under. I remember that Honda and Yamaha offered to show Harley how to make an inline four so they could "save" their company. Who showed who these days?? Like you stated, we have come full circle. Darth Vader was the student, and is now the master.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:16 AM   #16
allbikesbiker
Registered Member

I'd like an MT-01 also.

I guess I'll think over adding a Midnight Warrior to my list.

Maybe I'll just wait until next year
allbikesbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:23 AM   #17
yoavy11
Founding Member

The V-Twin is an "inferior design".

But that's what the masses want and that's exactly what they'll get.

The jap's just read the market wrong in the 80's(also because HD wasn't doing so well), but since then they came to they're senses
yoavy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:26 AM   #18
sarnali
Founding Member

I can think of some cool jingles for the TV ads, how about

"See the USA on your StarlineofYamahamotorcycles roll-a"

or else

"Wouldn't you really rather have a StarlineofYamahamotorcycles"

how about

"Star line, it's not your fathers Yamaha.."

I'm starting to notice a real trend towards this billit and chrome V-twin thing, it may catch on boys. "looking forward to the next 50 years", eh? I guess when they re-introduce the XS 1100 I'll take an interest in Yamaha again.

The old #14 YZ250 looks exactly like my race bike back in the days of my rise to TOTAL WORLD MOTOCROSS DOMINATION!!!!! unfortunatly cut short by my patriotic tour of duty in the Navy. At least they still import the FZ1 right?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:32 AM   #19
sarnali
Founding Member

Everyone knows Harleys are antique oil-leaky unreliable junk and Japanese bikes are perfect cutting edge design.....If Honda didn't buy a controling interest in Harley back in the day they'd have went tits up like Studebaker

Jeez you two, get with the program yeah?
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:36 AM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

It's not really gonna matter what they call 'em because the first thing any "cruiser" rider does is peel off any identifying labels from the bike.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote