Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-14-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: It Ain't The Tool: The Canyon Carving Shootout

...happens to me all the time...

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2005, 12:49 PM   #2
christian_gates
Founding Member

Another brilliant MO article! Publishing heresies the big mags won't even consider. Take that CW!

Sportbikes still look cooler, though, particularly at the after-ride pose-down. Har. Seriously, riding sportbikes on the freeway for more than about 10 minutes does just blow. I've done a 300 mile day on my 1000RR, but it was all twisty mountain roads in Colorado, except for the last 20 miles. And the only part that hurt? You got it - the last 20 miles.

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:50 PM   #3
bbtowns
Founding Member

That was an interesting article, not quite typical moto-journalism fare, but interesting. I always wondered if those stories about the KLR waxing sport bikes at track days were true. Given I own a KLR, V-Strom and Ducati I know it must be rider skill making that happen. Some day everyone will catch on to just how damn fun the big DP's are, till then keep your mouth shut!
Old 06-14-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
kbasa
Founding Member

I got passed so many times by guys on BMW GSs that I finally went out and bought my own. Now, I'm the guy in the faded 'stich blasting by a squid on a bumpy road. Of course, I never forget to give a friendly wave when I go by.

I bought an R12RT a month ago and nothing makes sporty bike guys more pissed than parking myself off their tail light on a twisty road. It's fun watching the body steering motions get more exaggerated before they finally surrender and wave me by.

Unless there's some guy on a GS crawling up my ass.......

kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:06 PM   #5
KLRer
Founding Member

Another great motorcycle.com article that proves you're all willing to be toy with nonconformity, far more so than most other motorcycle pubs. The KLR 650 aint perfect but its not a bad buy for the money and it is fun, reliable, and I'd say comfortable too. A Yamaha FZ1 its not, but then you won't see many FZ1s, or Vstroms for that matter, on fire roads or desert trails.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:08 PM   #6
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

OK, now I am really motivated to get my XR650R street-ready.

Too bad the Strom is so damned fugly. Too bad the BMW GS is >$15K. Too bad the KTM Adventure is $11K and has a plank for a seat. The KTM would seriously clean up on a test like this, apart from the seat.

Speaking of the BMW, I spent a couple of days on an R1150GS around San Fran a few years back and was enthralled. I felt that I could have had a passenger and gone just as fast, just as easily, just as comfortably.

Two weeks ago, my girlfriend and I did 220miles of Texas Hill Country on my Z1000. As much as I love my Z, I was wishing for the GS. Or a Strom.

But neither looks as sweet as my Pearl Blazing Orange hooligan. Damned ego.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:08 PM   #7
KLRer
Founding Member

dang, in prior post "to be toy" should have been "to at least toy"....no-one cares but what the heck.....
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 01:09 PM   #8
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Wow, very cool and interesting comparo. Nice work, Guys!

PS: "Da Killa" must be Pete's stage name because he's starting to look like a rock musician.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:15 PM   #9
johnnyb
Founding Member

that was fun. imagine what Gabe could do if they would let yous guys loose with one those Suzuki DRZ400S whatevers and new superDuke KTM and stuff like that. where are all the dang test units? those bikes are Wave of the Future i tell u... i am holding out for d-p WR450F. U guys see stunning new yamahas? not on MO u haven't what is dealio?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:18 PM   #10
bmwbob50
Registered Member

I have an acquaintance by the name of Vance Breese that many of your readers may have heard of. He told me stories of riding a heavily modified HD FLT bagger over HWY 33 to Ojai passing squids along the way.

At the base of the hill he would get out a map, light a cigarett that had been broken in half and when the frustrated squids pulled up he would make a statement that he had never been on that road before and was was lost.
bmwbob50 is offline   Reply With Quote