Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-16-2005, 06:45 AM   #81
Haird
Founding Member

Default Re: It Ain't The Tool: The Canyon Carving Shootout

I see you've never been to a forest preserve ...
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-16-2005, 06:47 AM   #82
Haird
Founding Member

So what's up with the Kate Hepburn bashing? Don't you know it's insensitive to make fun of a person's disabilities?
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:50 AM   #83
ekaphoto
Founding Member

Great article. How about a shootout between some dual sports? I am thinking the DR650 KLR 650 and DR-Z400.
ekaphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 11:50 AM   #84
BiggerTwin
Founding Member

Great article. Pierre Terblanche made this exact point at DRA 2001 when he said the 996 was a race replica designed for the track and the Multistrada was designed for the street and could pass the Superbike in the gravel on the outside of a turn. Having owned both, he and you are right. Race replica sportbikes are limited use motorcycles. I presently own a Harley-Davidson Street Rod and think it is the best of all worlds. It is comfortable on the highway, has powerful acceleration at a stoplight, and is reasonably nimble in the twisties. The Street Rod wonÂ’t cut and thrust like my Multistrada but it has V-twin character, more than enough power, and gets lots of compliments from both riders and non-riders alike. It may be that I am aging or it may be that I am getting smarter after owing 22 motorcycles. Hopefully your article will help others to see the light sooner than I did.

Alan

BiggerTwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 02:36 PM   #85
KLRer
Founding Member

Default Re: The Head Returns.

Youre right in my boat, and a KLR650 will do the trick. Its stated load capacity with full fuel is 401 lbs if I recall correctly. So 218 +130 (nice trophy--just kidding) puts you right in the range. Good gas mileage too.
KLRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 02:40 PM   #86
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Phil at Aftershocks! He's the guy to talk to if you want to improve any bike for any purpose. I give him my absolute highest recomendation. -Sean
Old 06-16-2005, 04:12 PM   #87
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Welcome, Head!

I always enjoyed reading your musings back when, and I'm happy to see you back!

Stay tuned for a DRZ400SM story.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 07:32 PM   #88
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Kate Hepburn Bashing

I was heavily reprimanded by my wife, who holds Ms. Hepburn dearly. I do apologize if I hurt anybody's feelings.

Old 06-16-2005, 09:07 PM   #89
Brent_Meeker
Founding Member

OK, you showed it's the rider not the bike. But that doesn't tell us which bike is fastest for a given rider. You hint that the DP bikes were faster, but you don't actually say so. It makes me suspicious when you use language like "more relaxed", "more fun", "preferred". I think the RSV was really faster - even if it wasn't enough faster to make up for rider differences. Being faster on the street is mostly a matter of judgement and balls. I passed a guy on a 996 while riding my friends 1961 BMW R50 - just because I knew how to keep my momentum up.

I agree though that I bike can have too much performance for the street - so much that you lose the pleasure of getting the most out of it. You just took the wrong Aprilia. My RS250 is plenty fast. I've ridden it over 300 miles many times. And it takes a lot of rider skill and attention to get the max out of it.
Brent_Meeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:20 PM   #90
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Man! Do I wish I could have gotten a street-legal RS250!!!

I mean, let me at it! I did ride one once, and it was like legal crack. What a blast! Unfortunately, Aprilia doesn't offer the RS250 as a street-legal bike in the USA, so even if I could borrow yours (and I hope I can!), I couldn't really talk about it like it was something you could buy at an Aprilia dealer.

To respond to your other comments, of course the RSV 1000 R is the fastest, best handling bike. But if you put it on real roads -- the kinds of roads pwople like you and I actually ride on, the powerful engine, razor-quick handling and incredible suspension and brakes come second to the things you actually use every second. Things like suspension that soaks up bumps, a comfy seat, and wide, comfortable bars.

If my point wasn't clear to you, that's my failing as a writer. I should have discussed who was fastest on what, but to save me the time, it was pretty much the V-Strom or the KLR, depending on the type of road.

Thanks for pointing it out, and I will keep that in mind in the future.