Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-15-2005, 02:07 PM   #71
billhawley
Founding Member

Default Re: It Ain't The Tool: The Canyon Carving Shootout

A while back I posted that I still ride a 1980 GS750E because it can stay with almost anything new on "real" roads, while also being more comfortable and practical than almost anything "new". I was roundly "poo poo'd" at the time, and considered that I was probably just delusional. So, I feel somewhat vindicated by this article.

Two weekends ago I had the pleasure of riding through Deals Gap, catching up to a leather and knee puck clad SV650 rider, and not losing any ground to him. Sure looked like he was working a lot harder at having fun than I was (with my high/ wide bars, skinny tires and relaxed seating position)...

I'd love to see a comparo of "sport bikes" from the early '80's (with a $1,000 budget for upgrading tires and kaboingers) and the current crop of "sport standards". I'm not sure the dinosaurs would fare all that badly. At least they'd be prettier than the V-Strom(s).
billhawley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2005, 02:40 PM   #72
nbyers
Registered Member

Default Yeah, it's not that bad.

I just rode my R1 1750 miles in four days and was quite comfortable, by the standards of motorcycle comfort (i.e. if you really want to kick back, take the darn car).

I've got Helibars but they're still pretty low--below the triple clamps. I'd say the riding position is a lot like the CBR600RR with the bars low but close to the seat.

There are some sportbikes, like the Ducati 916/998 series, or the first Daytonas, that are waaaay far from the seat to the pegs. They are a tough ride ergonomically. Maybe the Aprilia RSV is like that, too.

I am relatively small at 5-9 and 150, but I've not had a problem touring on an R1.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 02:49 PM   #73
nbyers
Registered Member

Default Different Strokes (and Bores)

Yep, that's exactly right. A guy/gal on an SV650 can hang with someone on a 1000RR--on the street. Cause you're never going to be traveling at racetrack velocities unless you're nuts.

Sure, there might be a blast up to triple digits now and then, or even a relatively short sustained stint at triple digits, but when you get to the next stop sign that SV will be right there. On the street it's about The Pace and smooth riding rather than racing.

I might be naive but I think that's generally true for any group of experienced riders.

So if you want to ride The Pace on a KLR or a Japanese 600 or a Buell, it's OK with me. There are so many great bikes available right now that you can find THE one that makes you sweat no matter what your tastes.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:04 PM   #74
Zakman
Founding Member

Default Re: Too short

I solved that problem by equipping my naked SV650 with Avon Distanzias, works great on dirt roads. By the way the story set up reminds me of the time several years ago at Laguna Seca when I completely embarrased this guy on a Bimota riding my Honda Pacific Coast on Laurels Grade.
Zakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:39 AM   #75
DucatiMHR
Founding Member

That brings back memories...

Pal of mine rode round the outside of me in a corner once two up on a K100RS... about 1986...

What was I riding? A Bimota SB3.

And yes, smooth is the fast way... he proved it to me over and over again.

I did a car trackday recently... they spent all day teaching me to be smooth, not fast. Smooth got very fast by the end!
DucatiMHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 12:50 AM   #76
DucatiMHR
Founding Member

How useful!

I was guessing at the top end of the RSV-R... my point was that it's academic.... unless you're planning to use the 160 plus on the road of course.

America may be similar to South Africa where I spent a lot of time... where there are a lot of wild areas with long, straight, unpoliced roads, and 160 is a useful speed. I don't know... Here in UK anything over 70 is illegal and over 100 is straight to court to fight for your licence. For me, 120 on the odd country road straight (speed limit 60) is about the limit... Motorways you have to stick under 100 or risk the loss of your licence.

In this environment I'd much rather be wringing the neck of a SV650 or my old dog than trying to keep the throttle closed on an R1.
DucatiMHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 01:40 AM   #77
Tikimaya
Founding Member

Default Re: The Head Returns.

Bud, I am 45 years old, and come in at 218 pounds but not only that, I also lug the old ball and chain on long rides and she comes in at one 135 pounds, plus we take along about 50 pounds of mostly uneeded crap on three hard Suzuki cases, and I can tell you that the Vstron (mine is 2003) will take you to hell and back in as much comfort as you can expect from a go almost anywhere bike.

From gutted back roads , hard packed fire roads, and not so hard packed sand (Daytona Beach) (Conti knobbies)

No good at all in mud. But then, honestly how many bikes can you ride that will permit you to go with your wife and gear on long 250 mile day rides, camping trips, will allow you to play a bit in the sand and then take you back home on the open road at 100+ mph for less than $10,000. fully loaded?

Tikimaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 02:20 AM   #78
Tikimaya
Founding Member

I wondered when you were going to get around to the Stroms capabilities. Yes she's not pretty, there are vastly faster bikes out there, as there are vastly superior off road bikes out there too, but for someone not able to afford to own two bikes, give me a comfortable, 100 MPH capable street bike with adecuate suspension, room for luggage, and with (about $400.00 worth of knobbie tires) go to the beach ( Daytona Beach), hunting along loose gravel roads, and or camping with the wife, for under $11,000 fully loaded, and I am happy.

Used 2003 DL1000 $6,500.00 with hard cases, center stand, and shield guards. Tires $398.00. The experiece and freedom it affords me: Priceless.
Tikimaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 03:31 AM   #79
kbuckey
Registered Member

"In the "real world" we don't race on the street, you rarely ever pass someone in a corner, you wait for people, and you care more about making sure none of your friends crashed then who can get down the twisty road the fastest." OK, we'll take it one phrase at a time. "you rarely ever pass someone in a corner" - let's see all four of them passed me and a car in a blind corner and one of them passed another one of them as they were passing me. I don't know if they "care[d] more about making sure none of [their] friends crashed then [sic] who could get down the twisty road fastest" - but they sure as heck acted like they didn't care what was going to happen to any or all of them. If they had "stuffed me on the inside around a blind corner they would have hit the car and/or gone into the side of the mountain so since they just blew around the outside, I guess they were just in a hurry. Looked a lot like they (with the possible exception of the two up bike) were racing to me and were just using me and the car as a moving chicane. In any event it's riders like that that draw the Sheriff's deputies and spoil any chance of a reasonable ride for the rest of us. Not to mention that when they go 'splat' all of us get the bad press.

kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 04:28 AM   #80
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Good article/pictures, Gabe/guys. Different.

BTW... ZRX's can ride on the beach... Daytona's!
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote