Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-15-2005, 05:41 AM   #51
bboule
Founding Member

Default Re: It Ain't The Tool: The Canyon Carving Shootout

How is them not wanting to wait for you to pass a car street racing? They were apparently in more of a hurry then you.

If the car hadn't been there, and you kicked your pace way up, and they stuffed you on the inside around a blind corner, THAT would be more like street/canyon racing. And that behavior is far more rare then what you describe.
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2005, 06:29 AM   #52
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: The Head Returns.

Gee it's kind of like a high school reunion around here.

Welcome back.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 06:30 AM   #53
nokneedragin
Founding Member

That is some sweet looking Eyetalian eye candy
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 06:40 AM   #54
DucatiMHR
Founding Member

So finallyÂ… a motorcycle publisher has had the guts to admit that the latest flash sportbike may not be the best thing for the road. Hooray!

Bikes are a personal thing. But for some reason it seems that the seasoned journalist, after riding everything in sight, decides that because a bike can get round a track fastest itÂ’s the best. And technically, of course, heÂ’s probably right.

It seems to me, after 30 years on the road, and three track days twenty-odd years ago, that track performance is academic. The fact is that anyone who uses 50% of the performance of the latest R1 or whatever on the road is a danger to himself and others. Even great road riders would struggle to use the performance.

I personally find these technological marvels leave a bad taste in my mouth. They are so good at doing what they do that riding them at sensible (or even highly non sensible) speeds on the road is plain boring. The only way to make them fun is to ride at completely lunatic speeds, at which point you lose your licence if your lucky and various body parts or functions if your not.

Now donÂ’t get me wrong. I like riding fast on the road. But I like to feel like IÂ’m riding fast, while still being within the bounds of understanding of other road users. To this end I bought my dream sportbike last yearÂ… a 1982 Ducati 900.

By any evaluation process valid for modern sportsbikes itÂ’s rubbish. It has a top speed of about 130 mph (on a good day), skinny tyres, slow steering, poor acceleration compared to anything over 550cc out of Japan in the last 20 years, and archaic suspension. And itÂ’s horribly uncomfortable. But when this bike was designed (mid seventies) it was regarded as one of the finest bikes for fast road riding ever. And itÂ’s no slower now than it was then.

If you ride it wellÂ… fast and smoothÂ… it hangs with anything on the road, and is lots of fun doing it. Why?Â… because how fast you ride on the road has pretty much nothing to do with the performance or handling of your bike and everything to do with the size of your ballsÂ… if IÂ’m prepared to take more risk than you, IÂ’ll be going faster in every given situation up to the top speed of my bike, which is utterly academic in Britain at least.

There is no logical reason for me to have chosen this bike. It was an entirely emotional decision (I bought it new in 1982, and have regretted selling it ever since). However IÂ’m happy as a pig in sh1t with it. I fully understand the guy who would choose to buy the KLR over the RSVÂ… On any given road at 80mph whoÂ’ll have the biggest grin? The guy whoÂ’s bouncing around and having to work at wringing his bikeÂ’s neck or the guy whoÂ’s sitting on a 160mph missile still waiting for a chance to use it?

DucatiMHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:35 AM   #55
christian_gates
Founding Member

Hey, why you doggin' on the sweet SS rides, man? Mine'll go way faster than 160.

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:59 AM   #56
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

"see a crusty old guy wearing moto-cross boots and an even crustier old Bell helmet with goggles, astride a monstrosity of a motorcycle"

Have we met?
Old 06-15-2005, 08:08 AM   #57
StillJustJerry
Registered Member

I loved this comparo. The only thing I would like to see added is getting a top handling cruiser like the Moto Guzzi into the mix, and add a rider that rides one every day. There is a world of difference between taking these bikes for a spin, and living with one. I firmly believe that the old guy riding the bike he knows better than he knows his wife can keep up with the best bike made in the Santa Monica twisties.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:14 AM   #58
SRMark
Founding Member

Can I get an Amen!
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:34 AM   #59
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Just how many dirt fire roads are there in the Chicago area any way?
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:38 AM   #60
SRMark
Founding Member

Oh but we do care! If you hadn't made the correction I would have spent the rest of the day wondering what you meant.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote