Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-15-2005, 03:05 AM   #41
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Re: Too short

The 650 is about 1/2 an inch shorter, enough to make a big difference for my GF.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-15-2005, 04:03 AM   #42
ddlewis
Registered Member

Default Re: Too short

The 650/1000 bikes are the same size, but the 650 sits slightly lower due to seat foam being cut differently, maybe a half inch less and it's narrower near the front which helps too. Still not for shorties.

The 650/1000 seats are interchangeable and lots of tall 650 riders swap seats w/ short 1000 riders.

Fwiw, the stock 650 seat was bad for me so I went to the Suzuki Gel seat which is tall and maybe even wider than the 1k stocker. nice.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:45 AM   #43
SRMark
Founding Member

Default Re: It Ain't The Tool: The Canyon Carving Shootout

The KLR becomes a much better road bike with Metzeler Tourance tires and braided steel brake lines. For the dirt, a Moose skid plate, Pirelli MT21 tires, 14 tooth countershaft sprocket and Suzuki DR650 footpegs make it a decent dirt bike. A jet kit gets rid of the jack-hammer off-idle effect. These are really cheap fixes to a cheap bike. With a taller windshield and an after market seat, I've ridden many long days on a KLR. Three tankfuls are absolutely no problem.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:50 AM   #44
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Stopit...stopit right now. How dare you sugest that someone just own/ride what they like. How dare you sugest that bashing someone for what they ride is wrong. If you don't start bashing someone for what they ride you'll get you kicked out of the brutherhud.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 04:51 AM   #45
nokneedragin
Founding Member

It would make the Aztec look better
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:11 AM   #46
kbuckey
Registered Member

I don't know who the "we" is that don't race on the street. I don't but too many do, and most of them on sport bikes. The other week I was riding over Lookout Mountain, above Golden, CO, on my DR 650, and keeping up a pretty good but reasonable pace when I came up behind a car and had to slow. 4 sportbikes came up behind (I had seen them parked on the side of the road, the riders were, well, young -teen, twentyish - one young lady as a passenger). Anyway, with the tight turns and narrow road with no way to see ahead more than half a turn, I just settled in behind the car to wait for my turn off. Not the sport bikers. Blind turn. Narrow road. Just blasted by me and the car. Just moments after the last one went by a pickup came by the other way. Maybe it's just better to be lucky than smart.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:14 AM   #47
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Dammit! You told them!

Riding dual-sports has been my long kept secret. I toured the Italian and Austrian Alps on an XT600 and it was perfect. I currently have a KTM620 RXC withg a second set of 17" wheels, and it's more fun than humans should be allowed to have.

Don't think it'll keep you from going long distances, either. Many member of the Four Stroke Singles National Owners' Club (FSSNOC) have KLR's and 640 Adventures that have gone extremey long distances in comfort.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:16 AM   #48
kbuckey
Registered Member

Here in Colorado you need a great bike for twisty roads - be they dirt or paved. My DR 650 fills that role nicely. I'm planning on taking it to the FSSNOC Thumper Cafe in Arizona in September. 1400 miles round trip for lunch! Anyway, with the Corbin seat and the large tank it's a great long distance mount. But even better, provided one sticks to pavement is my ZRX. And it's a ball on the track, though it's definitely no sport bike. And yes, I'd like one of them R1200RTs - but I wouldn't give up either the ZRex or the DR.
kbuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 05:17 AM   #49
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Of the three, I'd still take the Aprilia. I'm shallow that way.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:18 AM   #50
maladg
Registered Member

Oh, yes. Why not have the Gabester revisit the Strom & KLR part with the usual aftermarket updates such as above on the KLR and BT-020's on the Strom, etc.

Hey Gabe, keep this stuff up and I'm going to start thinking that you could have cut the mustard at CYCLE.

Great job!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote