Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-14-2005, 05:34 PM   #31
Hector1
Founding Member

Default Re: It Ain't The Tool: The Canyon Carving Shootout

Back in the early 90's, I was dirt poor and married to my first wife. Please, don't ask how many wives I've had since! Anyhow, we only had one car, a lowly Geo Metro. I came across a guy unloading a Yamaha XT 600 for a great price. I agreed to make payments and he sold me the bike.

The XT was luckily an electric start model, 90 model I believe. The previous owner had put a Metzeler street tire on the rear and an extremely loud F1 silencer in place of the stock muffler.

The bike was an absolutely hoot to ride, especially in town. Finding parking spots at Sam was really easy.

Interstate/highway travel was a little tough, I recall the footpegs, which were the metal type, would vibrate your feet to sleep in about 30 mins!!

Big DP bikes are a lot of fun. Great article.

Hector1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2005, 05:48 PM   #32
BigJimmy
Registered Member

Great comparo, but after reading about Gabe's nightmare I was expecting them to put Fred Rau on the KLR and let him spank the others. Sort of like shutting your kid in the closet all night just to show them it's not full of monsters... not that I've ever done that.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:30 PM   #33
mile_eater
Founding Member

Would've loved to see the new Zook Supermoto in on this...

But umm... you never answered the question boys...

Just how often did the KLR really hang with the Aprilia? I assume Dirty ran off and left everyone no matter what he was on... but what about you young pups?
Old 06-14-2005, 06:38 PM   #34
DaveFla
Founding Member

Man! That is simply evil...

DaveFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:17 PM   #35
The_Aerodynamic_Head
Founding Member

Default The Head Returns.

John's right. So glad you guys did that comparo. BTW, I dunno where you got Fred Rau, but I've been reading MCN for a few years and he's worth whatever you have to pay to get his columns. ('Course, I'm still sore you managed to not keep Johnny...he inspired my own prose, back in the early HighwayMan/KPaul days).

Anywho,

Da me un comparo of what has now been established as the class to beat: D/Ps--supermotards. All the other streetbike mags seem fearful of touching such a project.

I've been seriously lusting after the DR400SM, but I am fearful that it is too small to get out of its own way carrying a 215 pound lard-butt like me around.

Old 06-14-2005, 08:42 PM   #36
pdad13
Founding Member

Jeez, I am I the only one that doesn't feel like crap after riding a sportbike? Okay, granted, my Daytona is pretty relaxed in the ergo department, so I can understand how the Aprilia might be a torture device, and I don't have the "problem" of being 6'2," but I'm pleased to say that I can do just about everything on that bike comfortably. I find the clip-ons are set up just fine and do not compromise leverage much. In fact, after riding standards for a couple of years, I found that there were times I manhandled the bike unecessarily. Then again, I'm the same guy that found an XB12R to be rather comfy, and I do "get to the gym" quite often. Maybe it is just me.

Anyway, a fun read, guys. But I too was dissapointed that we didn't get to read about Fred and Sean whipping Gabe up and down the canyon. Maybe part two can be a three-heat event with a couple of more rational sportbikes and maybe a motard thrown in.

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:37 PM   #37
Chango
Founding Member

No, you're not the only one who doesn't feel like crap after riding a sportbike. I have ridden my current bike (GSX-R600) several hundred miles on the interstate in one day, and while I find it to be excruciatingly boring (the interstate, not the bike), it isn't painful. I'm not in shape, so don't start thinking it's because I exercise or anything like that. This bike isn't as comfy as the Bandit I had before (1900 miles in 22 hours), but I don't find it horrible either. If I ride at an aggressive street pace then I have sore thighs the next day from throwing my fat booty around, but other than that I'm fine.

So far I've only been to the track for one weekend, and it was raining all day Saturday and still drizzling Sunday morning. But it dried out very nicely after lunch, allowing everyone to pick up the pace a bit (enough for me to get my knee down for the first time Sunday afternoon. YAY!!!). Monday morning my thighs were a little sore and my triceps were sore from holding my weight up during braking, but now (Tuesday night/Wednesday morning) I'm just as painfree as ever. Maybe I'm weird.

"It's always easier to do things the hard way" -- Chango
Old 06-14-2005, 10:40 PM   #38
Unapproachable
Founding Member

Just about worth the annual fee on its own. If you could squeeze in two or three of these a year I'd be a very happy bunny. Please would you use your influence with Suzuki to get them to have a look over the Cagiva Navigator so they understand the results of hiring a proper motorcycle designer.
Unapproachable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:50 AM   #39
pplassm
Founding Member

Default Re: Too short

Guess what? The 650 is the same size!
Old 06-15-2005, 02:03 AM   #40
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Time for a new shootout...

Almost everyone who's ridden both who I've talked to actually prefers the WeeStrom 650 over the DL1000, mostly for the greater ease at which it can turn/flick (about 1/2 the rotational inertia in the engine has a big effect on handling).

Perhaps its time for a new shootout? Strom vs Strom. See which one is the better bike.

Or Strom (1000) vs Strom (650) vs Strom (650 + $2k in toys)?

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote