Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/index.php)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   It Ain't The Tool: The Canyon Carving Shootout (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2849)

sportbikebandit 06-14-2005 03:45 PM

Re: It Ain't The Tool: The Canyon Carving Shootout

Yep it's me my cover was broken by SBP and Steven.... No I didn't read that. Mind boggling. Fun to see Conaliza went to Iraq and came back with a different view of reality... I also see some polls that even Red State dominated AOL (red staters are still predominately using dailup services) are showing that the wars popularity is down to 25%. My prediction is that in 2 years from now no one will admit they voted for W or supported the war... Biodiesel is where we should go. Bring the boys home and build biodiesel plants, cars, trucks, airplanes and motorcyles with those millions we are wasting over there. Heck making biodiesel out of all of the veggie oil we use at McDonalds frying french fries is all we need to be able to tell the Saudis to frack off..

BMWMAURICE 06-14-2005 03:47 PM

THE NEW BMW R1200GS HP2 @ 386 dry, 105 HP and whopping 85 ftlbs of torque, will be the end of repli-racers on the street, (save the cost)!

iamz 06-14-2005 04:07 PM

It is 337 lbs. Must of been the wet weight I saw at 375.

eisenfaust 06-14-2005 04:51 PM

I dig the article. Good comparative journalism.

My only critique is this:

Next time consider including a sport standard (Z750S, Speed Triple, Bandit 1200, etc), and a sport tourer (VFR, etc) in the mix.

Both categories of bike cater to real-world conditions in a way that a supersport cant..... whilst perhaps offering a bit more sporting capacity than the V-strom or KLR. (Can you imagine taking the V-strom to Laguna Seca? How about a Sprint ST?)

Anyway, thats my only comment. :-)

reepicheep 06-14-2005 05:49 PM

Excellent article! The KLR (actually I would prefer a DR-650, but I will take whichever I first find on the side of the road in a bucket for $1000 or less) is at the top of my list for a 2nd bike.

PLEASE do a "round 2... international championships" for this test! Keep the 'strom and the KLR, but also get a BMW GS, a Buell XB9SX, a Speed triple, and a MultiStrada. Let me know if you need my help ;)

Keep it up! Great review! More! More!

bboule 06-14-2005 06:05 PM

This is a good article but the ragging on guys with supersport bikes gets kind of old.

In the "real world" we don't race on the street, you rarely ever pass someone in a corner, you wait for people, and you care more about making sure none of your friends crashed then who can get down the twisty road the fastest.

Unless someone is totally insane even the moderate/intermediate rider with a handful of trackdays is going to keep up with the guys who are/were expert racers, cause the racers are not idiotic enough to run a race pace on the street.

So in the end everyone can show up with whatever kind of bike they want, and they'll keep up fine, and hopefully everyone is happy. If someone wants to show up on the RSV or a 999 or an R6 or whatever there is no point constantly trying to bash them down. Some guys just truly love those bikes, they are perfectly willing to avoid the highway or put up with aches and pains. (Or just get physically fit, which is the real issue.) If that's what they love, let them love those bikes!

(I do not have a supersport so I'm not being defensive, and despite what I wrote above, I'd be looking at a KLR as a 2nd bike before the RSV or the DL)

PSMIII 06-14-2005 06:07 PM

The article explains exactly why I just purchased the bike that is the best blend of all the charactestics needed for comfortable and quick street riding, an Aprilia Tuono. 126 hp, sit up riding position, full Mille chassis and handling. This thing is more fun than a human being should be allowed to have.

ddlewis 06-14-2005 06:19 PM

OK, now I am really motivated to get my XR650R street-ready.

Do it! I have an xr650r street legal. It is an unruly hooligan and makes for a sphincter clenching good time every time I ride it! I wish I could afford a spare set of 17" rims for it.

Fenton 06-14-2005 06:20 PM

Great, Great, Great article/test!

I really need to grow up and realize that I only ride for myself and who cares what you think about my ugly bike.

I really need to take another look at the Suzuki V-strom. It seems to be the perfect bike for my riding demands. I always think Tuono, GS, Multistrada or Tiger first.

Gabe, one question; If I tow the V-strom, should I do it with a Pontiac Aztec?

Fenton 06-14-2005 06:32 PM

I am really thinking about ditching my Futura and getting the Tuono. It has been a long time since a bike gave me that "passionate" feeling.

Problem is, the used Futura market is all but dead. I personally don't get it, Aprilia is making great bikes. I have had 3 VFRs and the Futura puts them all to shame.