Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-14-2005, 02:35 PM   #11
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

Default Re: It Ain't The Tool: The Canyon Carving Shootout

Great report guys. Anything with 2 wheels is fun. My wife and I have a couple of GSXR's and a pair of KLR650's so your article really hit home with us. After reading your story, I can't wait to get out and ride them all again.
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2005, 02:41 PM   #12
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Too short

I think that the DL1000 is a great bike, but I wish Suzuki made it a little shorter. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to lower the bike so that someone who is 5 ft 8 in can ride it without feeling like he is taking a chance every time he slows down? Or maybe I should just settle for the DL650?

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 02:47 PM   #13
Ole1
Founding Member

Sorry, someone had to say it:

MEOW !

"the Aprilia makes me too sore"

... what a bunch of "you know whats"

Sportbikes are for a purpose, dual purpose bikes are for another purpose. If ya' want to cover a lot of ground

between the twisties, you need something that cruises along just fine at triple digits ....

More miles = more fun.

Your article waxes on about the benifits of the Dual Sports, with a strong emphasis on the fact that they can go off road. DUH ! Sportbikes are not meant to go offroad. Comparing these bikes using their offroad abilities is just dumb. Put one rider on each of these bikes, on the same road (or track ?), see which bike is faster. That would be a "Canyon Carving Shootout". When I saw your article, I thought it would be an (equal) comparison of the abilities of each bike in its "Canyon Carving" capability - to demonstrate how surprisingly quick you can be on a DualSport ???

Me and my buds regularly do 400+ mile days on SPORTBIKES, we love it, and we're f'n sore when we're done .... if we wanted to be fresh as a daisy at the end of a ride, we'd ride something else .... and probably cover a lot less miles.

not baggin on ya ..... just the facts

..... with a couple opinons for good measure

Flame On !

Old 06-14-2005, 03:09 PM   #14
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Fun read! Good job MO! I want all three of them!
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:16 PM   #15
Scott_Calvert
Registered Member

I read this with some interest as I'm about to take off for Yellowstone on my 93 CB750 with ???? miles on it. As a streetbike I wish motor/brakes/suspension/frame were all better, but that riding position (with aftermarket motocross bars for a bit more front tire loading) just makes the miles disappear, and going fast on uncertain roads the joyous treat it should be.

Then I think about my racebike, a lightly modded SV650S I'm using to try out the AFM. The ergos that were ok in the twisties and a bit too much on the street become really obnoxiusly too little on the track. Following my instincts I put on aftermarket clipons that dropped the grips maybe 1 1/2" and moved them forward maybe 1", and rearsets that are up and back 1" in each dimension. Ahh, knee down nirvana. With the arch of my foot on the up peg, toe on the down peg, knee 1/2" off the pavement, chest lightly bumping the tank, and one bun on the seat the extra room kept my arms in a more natural position and made my weight fall mostly where the up knee hit the tank and the down peg.

So what's my point? Sportbike ergos are all about being tied to the bike, relaxed, and in control with a knee down. I say any bike with a more extreme riding position than the CBR600 f4i is just as much about posing as the harley "wind up my pants" stance. That is unless you wear out knee pucks going to work... and the only guy I ever met who did that rode... an R1150RT!
Scott_Calvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:17 PM   #16
johnnyb
Founding Member

KP is that u? U read where US is now thinking of offering insurgents amnesty? Oh HO HO HO! what fun.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:19 PM   #17
oleland
Registered Member

Very good article ,I believe the KLR-650 is the most underated bike in the motorcycle world.I have ridden mine 1100 miles over two days to attend a dualsport meet and then went trail riding for three days and then loaded all my gear back on and rode the 1100 miles back home.The KLR will comfortably and happily run 75mph all day long as well as trail ride at 10mph. I purchased a Ducati Multistrada in Feb. this year and it is an excellant bike, but not quite the do it all machine that the KLR is.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:24 PM   #18
iamz
Founding Member

Nice write up guys. The main reason I subscribe to MO is for this kind of quirky off-beat shootout.

Awhile back, when I decided that I would probably ever only buy air-cooled twins and singles (easy mantainence), I had ruled out the KLR because of it's water cooling and partly because of it's weight which I thought was about 375 and not 337. (???)
iamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:32 PM   #19
wavyd
Registered Member

Good article. My only response is that I am one of the few Capo Nord owner - after 16K miles of roads like the ones you describe (I fit in the old dude catagory who likes only curly lines on the map, 250 mi. at a clip) I am still very happy. I get the big rotax twin of the Mille, comfortable seat, good wind protection with added Laminar Lip, excellent brakes, and with custom cartridges, cut fork springs and a rebuilt shock all by Aftershocks, a Mille type ride with no dive. I bought mine for $6K less than a GS. I know I'm as fast as I want to be and a lot less tired and sore at the end of my day compared to my 900RR or FZ1. I just hope the new owners of Aprilia continue to bring the bike to the US so I can buy another when I wear this one out in 5 years.
wavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 03:39 PM   #20
wavyd
Registered Member

I love sport bikes ... for track days ... nothing beats 'em. But not for what these guys were writing about. If you want to go long, day after day, the proverbial monkey flocking a football is not the tool of choice. But it's always good to have a hard core s'bike in the garage.
wavyd is offline   Reply With Quote