Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-14-2005, 10:10 AM   #21
bboule
Founding Member

Default Re: A Year With the Triumph Speed 4

Am I reading this incorrectly or is there a typo?

"One year and 1000 miles" ???

But yet it is positive review? The title belies the truth if you really only rode it 1000 miles.

Any bike which does not motivate it's owner to ride it a lot more then 1000 miles in a year is nothing special at all, maybe a pretty crappy bike.

Did you mean 10,000 miles by chance?

What are the other Triumph models valve check requirements? Are they all 8,000 miles? Sounds a little ridiculous, people praise Triumph but bash Ducati over valve adjustments?

Sounds like the Speed 4 is 2x as expensive as a VTEC VFR even if you have to pay someone else to do the valves!
bboule is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2005, 10:32 AM   #22
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

If you actually read the article, then you would know it's 10,000 miles and not 1000. It was especially telling when he described how much the 8,000 mile service had cost him.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:43 AM   #23
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Good aftermarket wind protection for SV650? Anyone?

Well, yeah. Those things are all over the place. But what I'd like to know is which ones actually work. From what I understand, some of them actually screw up the airflow, don't work, or are just crappily made. Some of them work great.

By the way, the first group (NC) were, more or less, hideous. The first one on the page was okay, but most of the rest were really bad looking. The second link (Rifle) was $300 and required paint. So now we're talking about adding another, say, $375 to the bike.

If he decides he really wants the SV, I'm sure there are more than a few proven solutions. Just curious if anyone has some first hand experience with them.

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 11:00 AM   #24
umarth
Founding Member

Default Re: S4 on track and a somewhat OT question: FZ6.

I have a SV-650 and it isn't too bad at 70, though I don't stay on the freeway for long periods of time. You can buy windscreens after market anyway. And from what I understand, the Z750S and the S4 are not exactly beginner's bikes. I think the SV is a perfect beginning bike because it handles well, it is forgiving, cheap and ugly enough that you don't feel too badly after dropping it. At the same time, it can wheelie and break all sorts of laws. I say do the SV.
umarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 11:05 AM   #25
umarth
Founding Member

A couple afterthoughts after the most recent threads: Don't worry about an ugly screen because the SV is pretty ugly too. I bought mine used and it had one of those big ass screens on it. It worked well, but I would prefer to be blown about than have one of those big monstrosities in front of me. How much freeway time is this buddy of yours planning on having? If he uses the bike for back road trips and commuting he doesn't need a screen at all.
umarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:55 PM   #26
pdad13
Founding Member

He's not a beginner. He's actually got almost three years of experience, has gotten some seat time on a couple of bigger bikes and rides fairly well from what I can tell. He's just very motorcycle ignorant. He's looking to get a little more serious but doesn't really know anything about bikes.

By the way, he's not considering the S4. He's thinking about an FZ6. And I am a bit hesitant about the Z750S because it makes serious power. But it seems to be a bit easier to ride than the FZ.

That being said, I think the SV would be fine for him, too.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:07 PM   #27
pdad13
Founding Member

He'll be doing a bit of both--highway and backroads. If you're familiar with Long Island, you'll know about something evil called the L.I.E. (and other long, primarily straight highways). And it can either be stopped dead or have an 80+ mph pace depending on time and conditions. If you have to commute any distance on the Island, you're going to probably end up on one of those roads. Believe me, I've done it on faired and unfaired bikes, and when you're droning along into a fairly strong headwind, any kind of wind protection is welcome.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:37 AM   #28
ducati
Registered Member

Default Valve adjustments and thoughts...

Triumph has extended valve check/adjust intervals to 12k miles (see http://www.triumph.co.uk/uk/2055.aspx) for the 600 four including the Speed 4. Much better than a ducati's 6000, but still not up to Japbike standards.

I bought a Speed 4 this year when I replaced my departed Monster 750. I have been waiting for a 749-engined monster for awhile, preferring the smaller bikes to the litre class, but I'm still waiting... In the meantime, I rode a Monster S2R back to back with the Speed Four and much preferred the Triumph. The S4 is a neat little bike--it sounds good and rides very well in the real world. Kick in the fact it's cheap as dirt to buy and insure, and it's a real all-around winner. I'm surprised more people don't ride these things.

I haven't decided to ditch the clipons yet, though, I kinda like them...

I'd still sell it for a 749-engined Monster, though... Or maybe the rumoured upcoming 680 triple?? MMMN The S4 is plenty fun to putter around on in the meantime, though!
ducati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 09:55 AM   #29
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Taller Riders:

It's a little more roomy than a comprable Japanese bike, but it is pretty small. I don't think it's a bad choice, but a much bigger rider should look at the Speed Triple and try it.

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 03:58 AM   #30
tripletango
Founding Member

I traded my S4 for an S3. Really liked the S4, used it for track days and blasting down back roads. Getting older so riding position became important. (Bar kit may fix that though)

I really liked the S4. Great intake roar. Adjustable suspension. Super easy handling. Plenty of grunt as revs build.

Miss that little green bike.

Love my S3 though!!

PS Better hurry. No more new S4s avaliable. Triumph has stopped the importation of that model. Probably the last 4 cylinder small Triumph ever. Triumph switching to 680 triples to fill that market. Will there be a naked version of new triple Daytona 680? Who knows?

Looked for good used bikes now!
tripletango is offline   Reply With Quote