Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-14-2005, 04:02 AM   #11
gun01dogs4
Founding Member

Default Re: A Year With the Triumph Speed 4

Another Speed Four owner here.

I'll second the Speed Shield praise. The comfort zone is increased to 80-85mph(not that I would ever travel that fast!). For the street, leg room can be increased by fitting modified Buell Lightning pegs, although ground clearance is also affected.

Other than a taillight burning out(lucas mfg?), mine has been trouble free.

Since the muffler bolt pattern matches the older ZX6R, owners have a wide selection of pipes to choose from. I chose a Kerker Carbon pipe. A bit loud, but sounds great when heading to the red zone.
gun01dogs4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2005, 04:44 AM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I really liked it in the MO Middleweight shootout and it really pairs well with your delicate features.

"Sweet Home Alabama.........................."
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:03 AM   #13
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: S4 on track and a somewhat OT question: FZ6.

The problem with the FZ-6 especially for someone who won't push it is that it won't get out of its own way if you don't push it.

The power curve is way up high and it has very little midrange torque.

The 650 VStrom might be a better choice.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:42 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

What? Your friend isn't capable of installing a windshield on an SV650? If there's one thing that the aftermarket doesn't have a shortage of it's accessory windshields.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:49 AM   #15
pdad13
Founding Member

Yup, that's most have said. (Although you guys were more critical than most.) That's one of the reasons I would think the Z750 is easier to ride. Couple the peaky motor with the sketchy throttle and it makes me a little nervous.

I mentioned the VStrom but no one seems to have one of those, either. I'm right in the heart of Supersport/Cruiserland .The owner of my local Yamaha/Suzuki dealer told me they're also having a bit of a bike shortage right now. Take that for what it's worth, but he's definitely got noticably fewer bikes on the floor.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:58 AM   #16
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Good aftermarket wind protection for SV650? Anyone?

Dude, I hope you're not suggesting a "windshield" What you really meant was a bikini fairing or a flyscreen, right? I have this picture of an SV with a big 'ole police bike winshield or windjammer and it ain't pretty.

Seriously though, he probably could do it. But he's likely too anal to try modify anything on a new bike on his own--even something as simple as that. We're also talking about someone with virtually no knowledge about bikes. The dealer could do it, too. More likely, I'd end up doing it, thanks very much. My problem with the aftermarket stuff is that you have no clue how well it works unless you hear from someone who has the same bike and setup. I think he wants something more substantial than a flyscreen, and aftermarket quarter/half fairings have a whole host of other issues to deal with (paint, being one). That being said, nothing's out of the realm of possibility. He's gonna check out the SVs this week.

Anyone know of a good aftermarket solution for the SV?
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:09 AM   #17
MoBro
Founding Member

If I recall correctly, one of the reviews in last year's shootout stated that the speed four was not great for taller riders - is this accurate?
MoBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:23 AM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Good aftermarket wind protection for SV650? Anyone?

Took me one minute to find this and this.

Old 06-14-2005, 08:58 AM   #19
triumph900
Founding Member

I'm on my second Speed 4 (forced to sell my first one a while back, couldn't wait for my next one). One of my favorite all-time bikes. All I can say is , it's just a fun bike to ride.
triumph900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:23 AM   #20
hubbwood
Registered Member

OK. I'm no math wiz, but the headline reads "A Year and 1000 Miles....", which is a big difference from the article heading "A Year and 10,000 Miles..."

When I first saw the headline, I clicked just to see what kind of wuss only does 1k a year
hubbwood is offline   Reply With Quote