Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-09-2005, 06:21 PM   #11
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Buying a Motorcycle for the Compulsive or Impulsive- Part II

Gabe, I enjoyed the read. I must admit to an audible chuckle on the banjo comment.
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2005, 07:17 PM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

Good job Gabe. As someone who has bought and resurrected/gave-up-on a passel of used bikes over the years I have to say that this is the most comprehensive advice I've seen.

I'd say that someone who can not do their own major repairs should stay away from bikes more than a few years old.

And Gabe is spot on about being careful that any bike you buy has a good tranny. A 6speed bike has about 12 gears in the tranny and each can cost $100-200 or more. Never mind all the special tools you may need to split the cases.

The only thing I would add is that you can check the bike's actual value at the NADA website. It's the NADA value that the bank or credit union uses to loan money. Kelly Blue Book is much higher and is the value a dealer usually uses to sell a vehicle. Since private parties don't offer financing don't ever fall for the KBB value. Anyhow, that's worked for me. I've simply brought a printout of the NADA value when horsetrading.

Old 06-09-2005, 09:10 PM   #13
sconley
Founding Member

The banjo comment was funny... But I emitted an even more rediculous kackle from the comparison to the wine snobs at Olive Garden... I hope I didnt wake up my neighbors... Maybe they're still at Olive Garden? Maybe I shoulda stopped after that bottle of boons farms, as I think the box of Franzia is making things funnier than they appear? Nah, that was damn funny.... Thank you for writing it.
sconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:02 PM   #14
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Good read, good info, good laughs, thanks.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:25 PM   #15
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Really awesome article !! I am thinking about adding another bike to my stable, this was very timely. For those of us with insominia from time to time it's a great read. Not what I need to put me to sleep but heck I'll take tomorrow off. Now get Ashley to fix the link on the Products Review Page to your aerostich review please. I trying to decide to spend the 700 bucks to buy one and start commuting on my bike again.

Seriously Gabe your stuff is first class...
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:35 PM   #16
sportbikebandit
Founding Member

Never mind I used the Search box and found your fine Aerostich article.

For those who have been frustrated with the wrong link on the Products Page here is the correct link.
sportbikebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 03:31 AM   #17
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

So Gabe took a bit of a swipe at Alabammy. I have a brother that lives there, so I get down there now and again. Even saw a damn NASCAR race there. Dern near makes me an honorary hillbilly! After reading his jab, I went through the roof! I am certain that I can send Gabe much better homophobic hate mail, and I will have RonXX personally check the spelling too! So there Gabe! Seriously, it was a good article on buying a used bike, and had some good humor. How about an article on selling a used bike in the future? I enjoyed reading this one a lot. Keep up the good work and I might change the mail to just homophobic stuff, but I'll leave the hate out.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:50 AM   #18
esoteric0001
Registered Member

Hey Gabe, I really enjoyed your article. Good info, good humor and just the right amount of sarcasm. Perfect.

(When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults....)
esoteric0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 04:21 AM   #19
Nik7378
Founding Member

If I might correct. You would either be a Redneck or a Bama. Hillbillies are from Tennessee or Kentucky (Crackers from Georgia, Cajuns from Louisania, etc.).
Old 06-10-2005, 04:40 AM   #20
bod
Founding Member

Yeah I guess it was a good article since Im not from bama and I hat The tide. I have an Idea for another article though why don't you guys get one of those salvage bikes and do a writeup on what all you had to do to make it right and the costs and what not that would be very interesting. P.S. I am not talking about one of those repli-racers I am talking real world beemer triumph or honda. Thanks
bod is offline   Reply With Quote